Got your Hobbit tickets? Post here!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work

My "perfect" Hobbit viewing would be:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 pm

HFR 3D
38%
Imax 3D
15%
Standard frame rate 3D
8%
2D
23%
No viewing at all
15%

Total votes: 13

SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Nin wrote:What is HFR?
I don't know what format I'll be seeing it for the first time, now that I am going in NY with my Mom. Pretty much, whatever she decides is what I'll do. I think she is probably more likely to be bothered by the HFR than I am because she goes to a lot more movies in the theater, and thus is probably more used to the standard 24 fps than I am.
Ah, what a sweetie you are. Have a wonderful trip V.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The 48 frames per second ought to be a good thing for the 3D version. From what I've read, the current 3D technology uses polarized lenses, and every other frame is going into one eye or the other.

So, your effective frame rate is half with 3D than what it is shot in, which is why a lot of people don't like 3D.

Being shot at 48 frames per second ought to put the effective frame rate for 3D to 24 frames per second which is the normal movie rate.

I've avoided 3D movies up until now because I can't handle strobe lights and would be really unhappy with the juddering I've seen described. The 48 fps ought to be OK, though. :) I'm willing to take a chance, anyway.

I'm even going to buy some glasses with smaller lenses so as to be able to fit the 3D glasses over them. I've stuck with big lenses for decades, but for this occasion I will bend to fashion and get some small lenses for my next glasses.

(And then go online and order some big lenses right away, because I just don't like little ones!)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Maria, FWIW, I've never seen the juddering you describe in a 3D movie. The image is as clear and smoothly moving as in a 2D film. And it's not alternating frames going into one eye or the other; there are two slightly different images on the screen all the time, and the glasses filter them so you see one of them in one eye and one in the other.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, it now looks like I am going on Saturday morning, IMAX 3D HFR!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Prim,
My daughter says it makes her sick to her stomach, and I saw lots of online sources saying it caused them headaches.

I'm sure perception rates vary. Since even sunlight flickering through trees in my eyes while driving has started really bothering me lately, the slower frame rate isn't something I want to risk.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Cool! Your mom is evidently not worried about new technology! And I didn't realize there was HFR IMAX. There isn't here, but that's New York.

(It may or may not be of interest to you, but at least some IMAX 3D Hobbit showings are going to be preceded by a nine-minute chunk of the new Star Trek film. Which I would love to see, so if I crowd in a second viewing during the first week of the run, I'll probably go for that format.)

I envy you seeing it in NYC. The first time I saw Star Wars, in 1977, was at a beautiful, state-of-the-art theater in NYC. I still have the multipage color program I was given.

ETA: But Maria, there is no slower frame rate in 3D. There are two images, both at the same, normal frame rate. 3D certainly does give some people problems including headaches, but that isn't why.
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It was HFR 3D IMAX version that I saw Prim! :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And was it scrrrrummmptioussssss? We wantsss to know!
Voronwë the Faithful

Of course, I'll be working on no sleep, as I am taking a red eye flight the night before. But what the heck!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Did you not read my review?????!!!!!???
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sorry, I'm a bit foggy at the moment! But actually I'm not sure I have yet. I was cut off from the Internet for a while, and I'm still behind on posts and links that I definitely want to (and will) read.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Prim wrote:ETA: But Maria, there is no slower frame rate in 3D. There are two images, both at the same, normal frame rate. 3D certainly does give some people problems including headaches, but that isn't why.
From what I understood from what I read yesterday is that the polarized glasses allow every other frame to enter each eye and your brain integrates them into a 3D image.

Frame one- left eye, frame two- right eye, frame three- left eye and so on and so forth. So, each eye is getting a 12 frame per second rate which is uncomfortably slow. Over all is 24 frames per second, but each eye is getting half that.

I can't vouch for the source and don't remember where I saw that in my hunt for clip on 3D glasses that would work on IMAX (never did find any in stock) but somewhere I did run across that explanation and it did make sense to me.

At 48 frames per second, split between two eyes, you'll get the normal 24 frames per second and it ought to look better.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'll drop this, but really, really, that isn't how it works; it's two 48 FPS images on the screen at the same time, and the glasses are filters that let one eye see one image, and one eye the other. Wikipedia may have a good article.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Why would you drop it if you are right? :scratch:

I'm looking for more info, as you suggested.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarized_3D
In the case of RealD a circularly polarizing liquid crystal filter which can switch polarity many times per second is placed on front of the projector lens. Only one projector is needed, as the left and right eye images are displayed alternately. Sony features a new system called RealD XLS, which shows both circularly polarized images simultaneously: A single 4K projector displays two 2K images one above the other, a special lens attachment polarizes and projects the images on top of each other.
Looks like they can do both ways.

I have no idea which way IMAX does it.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Alatar, I'm also foggy these days--where IS your review? I see the spoiler thread, but not the review itself.

Sorry to be SO very extremely stupid! :D
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

viewtopic.php?p=254281#254281

I should probably edit that into the first post of my Spoiler thread!
Voronwë the Faithful

I just split it off into a separate thread so that it would easier to spot:

viewtopic.php?t=3334
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

In the case of RealD a circularly polarizing liquid crystal filter which can switch polarity many times per second is placed on front of the projector lens. Only one projector is needed, as the left and right eye images are displayed alternately. Sony features a new system called RealD XLS, which shows both circularly polarized images simultaneously: A single 4K projector displays two 2K images one above the other, a special lens attachment polarizes and projects the images on top of each other.
"Many times per second" in this case means 144; i.e. 6 times per frame for a standard film. You are still seeing 24 frames per second.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I'm seeing the film on Friday, 11am showing at the Odeon, Leicester Square, with four long-time online friends. All five of us are serious fangirls. :D. We all saw the LotR films multiple times! Four of us are also serious Tolkien book nerds. ;). We adore hobbits, hunky Rangers and hot Elves of the First Age. ;). And Sherlock. We all love the BBC Sherlock. And Doctor Who ... and Harry Potter ...

48fps, 3D! I've never had a problem with 3D :) so am looking forward to this very much. :)

Al's review is very encouraging. :D

Don't know when I'll be able to post a detailed review as my friends and I will be mini-mooting (nobody from this board, sorry!) and my weekend is busy, but I will try to post my initial reaction. :)

Of course I'll be seeing it again. :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal