Got your Hobbit tickets? Post here!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work

My "perfect" Hobbit viewing would be:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 pm

HFR 3D
38%
Imax 3D
15%
Standard frame rate 3D
8%
2D
23%
No viewing at all
15%

Total votes: 13

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Got your Hobbit tickets? Post here!

Post by Primula Baggins »

So, I just went through the somewhat bewildering process of buying tickets for my family plus daughter's boyfriend to see THE HOBBIT on its first evening in theaters. This involved choosing between 2D and 3D (3D); then among regular 3D, Imax 3D, and high frame rate (HFR) 3D (everyone wanted HFR, and fortunately there's one screen in town showing it). Tickets are bought and printed out. Phew.

Have you got yours yet? Which version would you like to see, and why? Were we nuts to pick HFR? Post here!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm going back and forth on the HFR. On the one hand, that is the way it is designed to be seen, and it should bring out elements that the standard frame rate won't have. On the other hand, there is the chance that it will seem jarring, as the people at the CinemaCon thought. Also, the closest HFR screenings are "over the hill" in San Jose, an hour away. So I'm not sure. And therefore, not voting yet!

Great idea for a thread!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've bought my tickets, and as yet my cinema is only showing the film at standard frame rate (RealD 3D.) There is a faint chance my cinema will be one of the 25 out of 70-odd that the chain is apparently converting to HFR before the release date, but I'm not holding my breath...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Ax wrote: Full list of theaters from TORN: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11 ... lby-atmos/
I suppose I'll just have to see the movie several times, once with hubby, once with groupies, once in IMAX, once in HFR....

EDIT TO ADD: This isn't a complete list. There are also showings in Cupertino, for example. Would the Bat Area contingent consider meeting in the SJ area to be closer to V? I'm game for Thursday nite, anytime Friday or anytime Saturday. What say you?
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Saturday may be a possibility, although I didn't plan on going until Christmas Day.

ETA: barring a m00t, I'll probably go in Daly City for a 3D HFR viewing. Last time, PJ and crew did great things with technology, and I'd like to see the movie the way he intended it.
Last edited by Frelga on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I've already promised Beth that I will wait to see it for the first time with her, which won't be until Christmas Day, because she will be in Maine (and I will be in NY), so that won't work for me, I'm afraid.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:love:

I'm still not sure I made the right choice (HFR 3D). But I think I may have made the most interesting one. :P

And if HFR is "too weird," but the film is good, well, then, darn it, I'll just have to go see it again in another format. 8)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Got HFR 3D "Megascreen" tickets for the morning Friday show. Will go with my family and friends Saturday.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oooo fancy! Megascreen! :D

I shall just have to be happy that the only theater within 100 miles showing it in HFR at all is in my town. I hadn't even checked, assuming we wouldn't be on the list. I'm glad I suddenly wondered and looked—it's only one screen, and only four shows all day, so it will surely sell out.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I just looked at my calendar, and I theoretically have commitments on both Friday and Saturday night. I think I would like to see this the first weekend if possible, though, and *might* have some flexibility re: my Saturday night commitment - not sure yet. Daly City would be a pretty good location for me, if the group is interested in meeting there the first weekend. Since V is out, we don't have to worry about coming too far south (I think Daly City should be pretty accessible from Palo Alto if hal is in, and it sounds like Frelga is game for traveling that distance.) Teremia? narya?
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'm game.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's the 15th, innit? Sounds doable.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

axordil wrote:Got HFR 3D "Megascreen" tickets for the morning Friday show. Will go with my family and friends Saturday.
I just got 3D IMAX tickets for Saturday, in Chesterfield.... Are we by chance going to the same show?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

tinwë and I are going to the midnight show, in 2D. I want to enjoy the movie first without having to think about the format. Then I'll go see it in 3D or HFR or whatever to see how it differs.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm smiling thinking about you guys connecting and watching it together. :)

I won't be with any online friends, but we'll be with our good friends. We're all really excited.

3D IMAX, btw.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

I'm going with 3D IMAX. Thus far, I haven't heard anyone complain that the 3D obstructs the film in any way - though most have also said that it doesn't necessarily do much to improve it either. In any event, I cannot bear the thought of "adjusting to 48fps" during the Erebor prologue, which I hope to be as engrossing as possible.

Oddly, my most anticipated moment now is something I had no idea about until a few days ago:
Hidden text.
Thranduil on a frackin' stag!
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

What is HFR?

I'm going tomorrow in 3D, but don't know which one, never heard of all those different types of 3D.

Tomorrow will be Matthias and me only as I want to see it in English and the orc's English is not good enough for the vo. I will go with them for a 3D viewing in French next week.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:Oddly, my most anticipated moment now is something I had no idea about until a few days ago:
Hidden text.
Thranduil on a frackin' stag
!
Gives an entirely different meaning to the scene where the dwarves ask them if they can spare a couple bucks.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Elentári wrote:I've bought my tickets, and as yet my cinema is only showing the film at standard frame rate (RealD 3D.) There is a faint chance my cinema will be one of the 25 out of 70-odd that the chain is apparently converting to HFR before the release date, but I'm not holding my breath...
I think I probably mentioned this in another thread, but my local Cineworld has been upgraded since I bought my tickets, and fortunately, the 7pm showing on Dec 18th is now going to be at 48fps. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Nin wrote:What is HFR?
Nin, "HFR" is "high frame rate"; the films were shot at 48 frames per second, instead of the standard 24 fps, and about 1/10 of theaters are showing it in that format, which has proven very controversial, with a majority of critics not liking it (although the reports of fans is more mixed, with people like Alatar and Telemachos at TORC liking it alot.

I don't know what format I'll be seeing it for the first time, now that I am going in NY with my Mom. Pretty much, whatever she decides is what I'll do. I think she is probably more likely to be bothered by the HFR than I am because she goes to a lot more movies in the theater, and thus is probably more used to the standard 24 fps than I am.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."