A self imposed media blackout

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

A self imposed media blackout

Post by Alatar »

I've decided that this time I'm not gonna over-spoil myself. I've watched the trailers and tv-spots, read some of the spoilery stuff from the official books, listened to some of the music, but thats it.

Last time round I devoured everything as it came out and as result found myself pulled out of the film when I saw one of the preview clips. Also, I had read the entire plot and every change by the the time each movie came out.

Right now I have enough teasers to tantalise me. I'm curious about the Dwarven backstory, how the Dol Guldor stuff wilol all work out etc. So, I'm stopping with the obsessing for a few weeks. I'll read some basic reviews after the Premiers, but thats it.

Wish me luck!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Best of British! ;)

For me it's the opposite...last time round I was not immersed in the build-up at all. Barely knew the movies were being made apart from an article or two in the newspapers and went into the theatre virtually cold.

This time I'm thoroughly enjoying being part of the fan-community during the anticipation period. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Good luck, Al!

For myself, I likely am not going to get to see the film until Christmas Day (unless my plan changes). No way I am going to be able to hold off reading descriptions until then, so I am going to just happily soak up whatever I can get.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm hoping to see it opening night (not the midnight shows the night before), with my husband and the two kids that are home. It will be lovely.

FotR was in the days before online ticket orders, so I physically sat in line with hundreds of others the day the tickets went on sale in order to get tickets for opening night. For all three films our whole family (including, a couple of times, my parents) went opening night, with as many of the kids' friends as wanted to join us in line. It was like a festival. Lots of costumes.

Life is more pinched and worrisome this time around. This will be a welcome relief.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My kids were all too young last time, though the youngest did experience TTT in utero!

This time we're going as a family, but since AUJ opens before the kids have broken up, we can't all get together until Dec 18th...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm not imposing a blackout, as such, but at this point, I know enough about the movie that I am not seeking out more information. Other than seeing it, I mean. Probably on Christmas Day.

(Except this time I am going to find out which Chinese restaurant is open, or else make sure there is food in the house. We had a hungry Christmas a couple years back because I forgot that everything is going to be closed)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

It's easy if you're not planning to watch the movies.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I'm taking the same approach as Alatar. Only a few more days. I'm reading the book again in preparation.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Aravar wrote:I'm taking the same approach as Alatar. Only a few more days. I'm reading the book again in preparation.
That would only get me frustrated. :D My expectation is for a fantasy action movie in the pretty Middle-earth setting and with hot dwarves. :P
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've avoided all the threads about the Hobbit movie until a couple of days ago when I started peeking at the non-spoilery one.

I haven't seen any trailers, reviews or photos.

Besides Gandalf and Bilbo, I don't know who any of the other actors are.

I'd planned on *not* reading the book beforehand, in order to be pleasantly vague about the book/movie discrepancies... but then we went to that Tolkien trivia contest a while back and I skimmed through most of the Hobbit in preparation for that. :doh: So, that's a bit fresher in my mind than I'd like... but I'm pretty much unspoiled for the movie when it comes out. Last week I even had to look up the release date, because all I knew was that it was some time in December.

Yay, me.

I've pretty much stuck to my plan of knowing as little as possible about the movie before I go see it. One week to go!
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Maria wrote:I've avoided all the threads about the Hobbit movie until a couple of days ago when I started peeking at the non-spoilery one.

I haven't seen any trailers, reviews or photos.

Besides Gandalf and Bilbo, I don't know who any of the other actors are.

I'd planned on *not* reading the book beforehand, in order to be pleasantly vague about the book/movie discrepancies... but then we went to that Tolkien trivia contest a while back and I skimmed through most of the Hobbit in preparation for that. :doh: So, that's a bit fresher in my mind than I'd like... but I'm pretty much unspoiled for the movie when it comes out. Last week I even had to look up the release date, because all I knew was that it was some time in December.

Yay, me.

I've pretty much stuck to my plan of knowing as little as possible about the movie before I go see it. One week to go!
Wait, you have never even accidentally stumbled upon a picture or description of the actor playing Thorin Oakenshield?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've accidently seen a group picture of the cast, but didn't examine it closely.

I'm actively trying to NOT see these things! I'm even *not* looking at Elentári's long bar picture in her signature area above.

Hair. Beards. Lots of them. Ackk! Look away quickly. That's what I do.

I've been doing it so long it's automatic, now.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Maria wrote:I've accidently seen a group picture of the cast, but didn't examine it closely.

I'm actively trying to NOT see these things! I'm even *not* looking at Elentári's long bar picture in her signature area above.

Hair. Beards. Lots of them. Ackk! Look away quickly. That's what I do.

I've been doing it so long it's automatic, now.
Astoundingly impressive discipline!

:bow: