The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

axordil wrote:I reluctantly decided to pass on midnight myself. I'm getting too old for that stuff. :D
It has been my tradition to go to the first viewing the following day after the midnight showing, alone, on a Wednesday morning. Damn you studio execs for releasing this on a Friday. No early Saturday viewing likely, but maybe. If not it will be a late Sunday or late Monday viewing.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Well, this is a little lowering.

I just checked the IMAX site for my nearest midnight showing on 14 December, and it appears I must travel either to Auckland, Honolulu or Buenos Aires if I'm to see it on the (really) big screen on the opening date.

Well. Poo.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Well, here's something that is unofficial, so will probably be subject to the lawyers of both the Hobbit folk and Family Circus. But it is a cute shirt.

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/little-bil ... for-a-walk

EDIT: Oops, I see Maria already posted it elsewhere.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

ThinkGeek brings you:

Limited edition Moleskine notebooks, Hobbit theme

Or you could just get the leather statement cuff with "Not all who wander are lost".

Or the dwarven beard hat

OOOoooo, furry adventure slippers!

The full descriptions are quite amusing, as are the comments from the general public, like "you are a bunch of heartless nerdcrack dealers. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

A search under "Hobbit" will get you even more things. Warning, the Lego Shelob is just disturbing.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Holbytla wrote:Ummm yeah...

Best Tolkien Related Figure Ever
Haha! Priceless.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I received my copy of the WETA Chronicles Art and Design book in the mail today. Wowsa! By far the best of the tie-in books that I have seen. Not even close. And those scans of the different Thorin designs that we saw leaked don't even scratch the surface. Some of the designs were true long-beard looks. But it is the Balin designs that I really regret. I really don't like the non-moustache look (though I still greatly look forward to Ken Stott's performance) and one of the designs in particular I think looks awesome. However, some of the other designs for some of the dwarves I don't like nearly as much as the final version.

Just the pull-out copies of Thorin's map, and Bilbo's contract, are practically worth the price. And the cover is really nice.

Am pleased.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have requested and hinted heavily for Christmas! :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not much of a collector, but this book is very definitely worth having. If for some reason 'Santa' doesn't come through, you should get it anyway.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Mine's been despatched - hoping it will arrive tomorrow! Have been seriously drooling over the leaked scans for weeks now... :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I am pining for Orcrist and its scabbard now. :(
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

My wife could have borrowed this from her bookstore last night, but I told her not to because I didn't want the spoilers. I'll have to make sure to check it out later.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My Weta Chronicles: Art and Design book arrived today!! <squeeeee!!!>

Just the best Christmas present ever! :love:

If you don't hear from me for a while it's because I've got my head in a book... ;)

(SF, you have got to get this if you haven't already!)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Mine should arrive this week and already bought one for my grandson as well.
btw- WETA just announced a second with a blue cover featuring characters and creatures to be released in the coming year.

http://www.wetanz.com/the-hobbit-chroni ... ming-soon/
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

My LOTR collection is stored in a ten by ten by ten storage locker that is absolutely jam packed.
Okay, I have a question (and I am not being sarcastic here, I really want to know.)

What is the point of having a collection of things that are stored away so you can't see them or enjoy them? I would think that the main reason to collect stuff like this would be to display it so that you (and others) could, you know, SEE it.

Do you plan to put the stuff out on display at some point (when you buy a bigger house or something?) Or is just "having" it the point?

I really am curious about this.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:Mine should arrive this week and already bought one for my grandson as well.
btw- WETA just announced a second with a blue cover featuring characters and creatures to be released in the coming year.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up...
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

JewelSong wrote:
My LOTR collection is stored in a ten by ten by ten storage locker that is absolutely jam packed.
Okay, I have a question (and I am not being sarcastic here, I really want to know.)

What is the point of having a collection of things that are stored away so you can't see them or enjoy them? .
Penance and atonement.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

This looks very cool!

Hobbit ibook for the iPad and iPad mini, or on your computer with iTunes.:

The Hobbit: Exclusive 85 page iBook by fxguide
The Craft of The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey iBook was made by fxguide as part of Warner Bros. Pictures ‘For Your Consideration’ Awards campaign, focused on all the craft categories from visual effects to cinematography in the lead up to next February’s Academy Awards...

...Inside the iBook you can explore how Peter Jackson and his close team of collaborators crafted the film’s new worlds for Bilbo Baggins’ journey with written pieces, videos, exclusive making of’s and interactive 360 turntables.

There are first-hand looks at the visual effects, art direction, cinematography, costume design, makeup effects, editing and sound design behind the film.

All this exclusive behind the scenes interviews, interactive elements, galleries, character turntables and effects breakdowns are yours to download, and is over a gigabyte of content. The iBook is a free download from Apple’s iTunes Store.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote: btw- WETA just announced a second with a blue cover featuring characters and creatures to be released in the coming year.

Mine arrived today! Very nice images and profiling on the characters and creatures of M-e with comments from the actors on how they approached their portrayals...

As I mentioned in the EE preview thread, there are a few tidbits in the character descriptions that offer speculation on possible EE content...

On a different vein, one thing that caught my eye was this curious assertion in the feature on Galadriel, presumably written by the author, Daniel Falconer:
"Bearer of the Elven Ring of Power, Nenya, she possesses knowledge and enchantments unknown even to the Wizards..."
Is this simply referring to her gift of foresight, or the Mirror, perhaps?
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Collecting The Precious – The Bridge Direct ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’

The Bridge Direct confirms that the next wave of figures for DoS will hit the shelves from October 15th this year, and we can look forward to Thranduil and Beorn...
~Diana Cortes