The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ah, you'll be needing a new staff for TABA...luckily you can snap one up for $237 :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:They do offer the Morgul Blade, as well... Image
yes - I have a Ringwraith sword from LOTR and I will settle for that as the blade is far too much the same thing. but thanks for looking out for me Elen.

If you see any bad guy bow and arrow combinations from HOBBIT - let me know. page 157 of the Chronicles book - SMAUG - has the one I really want. On a wall with an elf bow it would look terrific with the contrast between the two but the same flow and symmetry.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Agreed two dissimilar bows would be very cool on the same wall.

Out of curiosity, where are you ordering from?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

For the impulsive, BudK is running a 25% off everything sale through tomorrow night, Hobbit repro weapons and pre-orders included. That made Thranduil's sword and the Mirkwood polearm cost $150 each, and the Tauriel knife pair $165.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:If you see any bad guy bow and arrow combinations from HOBBIT - let me know. page 157 of the Chronicles book - SMAUG - has the one I really want. On a wall with an elf bow it would look terrific with the contrast between the two but the same flow and symmetry.
Hmm...it's described as being Yazneg's bow, but with all the history of changes for that character re: Azog, I'm not convinced the bow idea survived into production. I did a quick image search and Yazneg doesn't seem to have a bow...Neither does Fimbul, or the three "Hunters".

Can you remember whether the Orc who shot Kili had the same design of bow you are after? That may be your best bet...

Looking at the LotR products still available I could only find the miniature "Arms of Lurtz" and "Arms of the Moria Orcs" that had bows...like you say, the Hero weapons are obviously more sought after - and, after Tauriel and Thranduil's arms, it's particularly the Dwarves' weapons this time round.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

axordil wrote:For the impulsive, BudK is running a 25% off everything sale through tomorrow night, Hobbit repro weapons and pre-orders included. That made Thranduil's sword and the Mirkwood polearm cost $150 each, and the Tauriel knife pair $165.
That is a good price on those items. I order from anybody who has a great deal. I got the Dwalin axes direct from WETA when they sent me an email and offered five sets for 50% off. I thought that was a terrific deal.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elentári wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:ICan you remember whether the Orc who shot Kili had the same design of bow you are after? That may be your best bet....
Wasn't it Bolg himself that shot Kili? I thought that I noted this the last time I saw it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh yes, it was! I obviously wasn't paying attention at that point!

Though his bow is different to the Yazneg design.

~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Cover of "Smaug - Unleashing the Dragon" revealed

http://www.wetanz.com/smaug-unleashing-the-dragon

Come face to face with Smaug the Magnificent, the most realistic, breathtaking and destructive dragon ever to appear on screen, in this gallery of exclusive images that tell the story of how he was created.

Smaug is possibly the most memorable character in JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit: a huge, malevolent, fire-breathing, talking dragon! But while he makes quite an impact in the book, in Peter Jackson’s film adaptation he is definitely the most spectacular creature ever to appear on screen.

So how did the filmmakers manage to take the dragon that has lived in millions of readers’ imaginations and turn him into a totally unique and unforgettable living, breathing character?

The answer can be found in Smaug: Unleashing the Dragon. Packed with stunning, exclusive new images, it reveals how he grew out of thousands of detailed and fantastical concept designs into the beast that is unleashed in awesome digital glory.

Compiled by the Academy Award™-winning teams at Weta Digital and Weta Workshop, who provide fascinating insights telling the story of the dragon’s creation, this is the perfect companion for every fan who was blown away by Smaug, the Magnificent!

Foreword by Benedict Cumberbatch

Author: Daniel Falconer, Weta Workshop
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You know, Smaug kinda looks like BC from that angle... :scratch:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm definitely going to get that book!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Dang, that looks sweet!
I wonder when I shall have funds enough to own all such books. From LotR to TH. :puke:
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Cool! Think I'll flip through the entire book in a bookstore, and then put it back on the shelf! :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its only $20, why not reward the authors and creative team with some actual recognition. If you're not interested, fine, but don't be so cheap as to take their work without payment.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I am not sure but I think PtB's comment was tongue-in-cheek :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I hope so! :)
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Tongue firmly planted in cheek, yes.

Having worked in bookstores in my past life, I spent a lot of time observing human wildlife, and their capacity to consume entire books without purchasing them. :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Not sure from which Tie in book this is, but here a some more Concept Art for DOS:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=95902

I love the second Tauriel's design! :D (The first one, did they seriously consider that? That is just a Chinese Elf! i.e. incompatible)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

"Smaug:Unleashing the Dragon" available for pre-order, release date April 3rd...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007 ... 821_nrn_lm
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've had that pre-ordered since January? Maybe they just changed the release date.