The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Re: The Hobbit Movie Tie ins.

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Apart from the raven design on Thorin's armor, is there any indication that we will be seeing Roäc, or at least be getting some unnamed raven messengers? For a number of reasons, this would be the worst omission for me...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have the same opinion about this that I had about "Good morning!".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

And you were wrong about that. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

True, but how likely is it that I will actually be wrong twice? :P

More seriously, I think that Ravens will play some role; after all there have been several mentions of them. But I doubt that it will play out remotely close to how it is done in the book, and I'm pretty sure that there will not be named and/or speaking birds.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: I'm pretty sure that there will not be named and/or speaking birds.
Which is kind of sad, given that ravens are one of the species that can be taught to speak IRL.
Passdagas the Brown

I just don't see why in a film series with bunny sleds, talking spiders the size of horses, and goat-drawn dwarvem chariots, a talking raven is out of the question!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Is it only me then who wasn't really impressed by the Sibley cover? That dwarf-helm reminded me of Transformers more than anything.

And the Fisher cover, I think Thorin's sword looks very impractical here for a combat. (the base seems to be really broad). But the armor is great!
Voronwë the Faithful

There is some speculation at TORN that the armor and sword are either Thror's (which makes little sense to me, unless it was somehow recovered from Azanulbizar and brought to Erebor), or forged during the siege to match Thror's.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug's voice wrote:Is it only me then who wasn't really impressed by the Sibley cover? That dwarf-helm reminded me of Transformers more than anything.

And the Fisher cover, I think Thorin's sword looks very impractical here for a combat. (the base seems to be really broad). But the armor is great!
I've been waiting for someone to point out that 'The Hobbit' himself is entirely absent from the Fisher cover....
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Not a surprise for me.
It's been a while since I gave up on expecting to see Bilbo on tie-ins.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Of course, Bilbo's probably on the Back (Again)... ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

New DoS Lego set, The Lonely Mountain, due out October 15...

Don't miss the video spoiler of how PJ's trilogy is going to end at bottom of the page...

The Aggravation of Smaug

:rotfl:
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

One does have to wonder whether or not PJ's added scenes in the Lonely Mountain (the dwarf-dragon fight, basically) was done with the intention of setting up the product line for Lego!
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elen - thanks for that - it was fun.

I would be very happy with the ending as seen in this little film. It nearly mirrors the finish in the book and - as a purist - that is what I look for more than anything else. :halo: :wave:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:wave:

As a self-confessed foodie, I thought you might appreciate McThorin's...

(No doubt the quality of its menu would dwarf certain other fast food emporiums... ;) )
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I debated whether to post this in the TBotFA thread or the tie-in, but since neither have spoiler warnings it was a toss-up...I leave it to your judgement, V!

New Lego Bot5A sets - potential spoilers

Reveal of Wiki/WC battle in DG and possible sighting of Dain on pig!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Of course, not everything that has been in Lego sets in for the past two films has ended up in the films themselves, but the WitchKing battle one is potentially a pretty big reveal!
Passdagas the Brown

Elentári wrote:Of course, Bilbo's probably on the Back (Again)... ;)
The Hobbit: On the Back Again
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Elentári wrote:New Lego Bot5A sets - potential spoilers

Reveal of Wiki/WC battle in DG and possible sighting of Dain!
I understand the pictures were taken down at the source so cannot be viewed in the link (although apparently I'm still seeing a cached version!) so I saved the images to provide clickable thumbnails here - Image

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

You're awesome! :love: