The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Re: The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Do people actually wear t-shirts like that? If so, I've never met them.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes they do, and no, we've never met. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Touché! :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It appears that many of the images on the T-shirt and associated merchandize (mug, money box, etc) revealed recently, have come from the BotFA 2015 calendar...

Nice one of Elrond looking like he means business!

And it's about time the "Heirs" were featured in the publicity....maybe there will be a blitz on them nearer the time?

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I've noticed a couple of times that when the two of them have been shown together, Fili has been in the foreground.

Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yay, the NZ Post has released its BotFA presentation pack of stamps...also details of commemorative coins, etc.

https://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/thehobbit/b ... ive-armies

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Who needs Angry Birds when you can play Angry Bard! (Or Legolas or Tauriel ;) )

http://orcattack.thehobbit.com/
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This is lovely, and a brilliant reminder of how much PJ got right when we forget the little niggles.

http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/map

You need Chrome to view.
Passdagas the Brown

My problems with PJ's adaptation are hardly niggles, unfortunately. They are fundamental. I feel he generally misses the spirit of Tolkien, and I can't wait for someone else to take a shot at Middle Earth (even if it's only my kids who see it, and not me!)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Alatar wrote:This is lovely, and a brilliant reminder of how much PJ got right when we forget the little niggles.

http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/map

You need Chrome to view.
Agreed, the visualization of M-e by Howe, Lee, Weta and Dan Hennah's team has been superb...
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

BTW, Safari works fine with that link. Which is very odd, because generally Safari is a problem with anything out of the ordinary.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Some scans from the latest Chronicles book (no doubt they will be taken down elsewhere so I grabbed them while I could!)

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks! I think we can leave that here. It's not like that one time when someone had scanned virtually the entire book. That was too much of a copyright violation. This just gives a taste. A nice one.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

I just wish some of the dwarf company looked like that dwarf on the bottom right. Would have helped to take them a bit more seriously, though perhaps PJ wanted us to think of them as proud, but rather silly fools (which might actually be closer to their essence in the book...)
Voronwë the Faithful

I wouldn't have minded a Thorin that looked something like that, though I am really pleased with Armitage overall (and expect to be more pleased in a little more than two weeks).
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Pre-order details from Weta for Chronicles 6 - The Art of War! Shipping November 2015

https://www.wetanz.com/chronicles-the-a ... ar-signed/

Image (Larger photo in link!)
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Chronicles – The Art of War goes behind the lines to explore how thousands of artisans brought the defining film of Peter Jackson’s adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit to the screen. More than 1,000 intricate illustrations, stunning photographs and never-before-seen imagery illuminate fascinating insights shared by cast and crew, including exclusive content from the extended edition of the final film. Also included is an exclusive, fold-out battle map illustrated by Weta Workshop Designer Nick Keller!

•256 pages
•Includes fold-out battle map

Discover the challenges and reactions of the stars of The Battle of the Five Armies as they recount their experiences and excitement. Join the choreographers of the film’s action to examine the battle strategies and formations of each of the five armies, and learn how a dozen stunt performers became thousands of digital troops. Pore over archive-quality photography of staggeringly detailed weapons and armour and browse galleries of fearsome war beasts and monsters.

From the sorcerous ruins of Dol Guldur and the fiery conflagration of Lake-town, follow the filmmakers on to the blood-soaked battlefields of the Lonely Mountain, and climb the steps of Ravenhill to witness the final, tragic duel of Thorin Oakenshield and Azog, the Pale Orc.

As the story of The Hobbit reaches its shattering climax amidst an epic landscape of war and tragedy, join Weta Workshop senior concept designer Daniel Falconer behind the scenes one last time as this sumptuous final book in The Hobbit: Chronicles series celebrates the epic conclusion of The Hobbit film trilogy.
~Diana Cortes