Second Hobbit Trailer [SPOILERS!!!!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Trailer is live here:

http://video.howzit.msn.com/watch/video ... /183rm2wjy

Probably elsewhere, too, but that is where I've watched. Several times.

Thoughts later.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That link seems to be broken but here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1SJ7yaa7cI
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

It's also up at iTunes. Some stuff I like a lot. Some stuff I don't like as much.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I liked it. It felt very...hobbitty. :)
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Bofur's line at the end sums it up, as I expect Jackson intended. :D
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

What I liked:
- Almost all the bag end stuff is great
- The visuals
- Gandalf and Galadriel's conversation
- The Necromancer stuff doesn't get much screen time and is clearly a B-plot.
- Armitage! Freeman was great too but Thorin actually impressed me more.
- Radagast. It looks like he'll just be eccentric instead of a bumbling idiot as some feared.

Iffy about:
- Dwalin and Balin's headbutting
- Bilbo fighting a goblin. If he's losing until a dwarf rescues him or if he just fends him so he can run away then I'm okay with it, if he's actually becoming a warrior at this point then I'm not.

Don't like:
- The music is pretty dull. Fortunately this won't be in the movie.
- The ending. Such a generic way to end a trailer, and a pretty cliched joke. Hopefully it'll work better in the movie.
Last edited by kzer_za on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree.

The best part: the introduction of Fili and Kili. Perfect, despite the lack of real beards.

The worst part: grumpy Elrond. I was really hoping for the character in book to be there, but it appears that he is the same grumpy git. Grrrr. I also don't really understand the whole "he gives me courage" thing. A minor complaint though, and it might make more sense in context.

I love the juxtaposition of Bilbo on the one hand not wanting to go with the dwarves, and on the other, being excited at going on an adventure.

My final thought is that it is good that they are ending the film at an earlier place. There is just too much to fit in, the way they are doing it.
Voronwë the Faithful

One thing that I found odd were a couple of what seemed to be misplaced pauses by Freeman, particularly before the word "Hobbit". Anyone else feel that? Probably just the way it was cut.

At first I thought that at the end it was one of the trolls falling down and I was baffled by that, until I realized that it was really the Great Goblin!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

"He gives me courage" is the mirror of "And that is an encouraging thought." That is, Gandalf himself does not yet understand the significance of Bilbo, but his heart tells him he IS significant, and it a positive way.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:One thing that I found odd were a couple of what seemed to be misplaced pauses by Freeman, particularly before the word "Hobbit". Anyone else feel that? Probably just the way it was cut.
Yes. And in "before they come...visiting." He sounds a bit out of breath; probably some missing context.
Last edited by Dave_LF on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Trailer cutting is soooo deceptive. :D
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I really like the shots of both Thorin and Gandalf in the trees. Of course, it's hard to go wrong combining pines, mountains, fire, and moonlight.
Voronwë the Faithful

I really like the incorporation of the lines from Pippin's walking song (which was used as his sad song to Denethor in ROTK): Home is behind, and the world is ahead. That's the type of connector between the trilogies that really work for me.

Obviously the action is going to be ramped up, but I can deal with that. The humor seems to be very much in line with the book.

The music for the trailer is really pedestrian, but that is fine with me. Gives us more to look foward to when we get Shore's score.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

And a giant eagle swooping in behind Gandalf.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Only watched it twice, so far! Hard to get a proper feel from "just" the trailer...I'm sure it will be a fun, rollercoaster ride intercut with some calmer, more serious moments.

One thing that stood out to me is the Dwarves' accents....Thorin sounds like Boromir, and Fili and Kili didn't sound like I was expecting (with so many Celtic actors cast alongside the Kiwis I guess I imagined we'd get more Gimlis, but they sounded almost 'Estuary English' in that brief clip...)

Loved Freeman's jumorous visual performance, I hope his vocal performance will match it, as the lines about guests sounded a bit...flat...to me. <shrug>

ETA: oh, I see you already picked up on that, about the pauses...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

The Gandalf/Galadriel conversation is in the comic-con reports. Gandalf says that Saruman thinks the strong are the ones who rule the fates of many, but he small deeds of kindness by people like Bilbo matter more.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

- After watching LOTR a zillion times, I've found I've more than had my fill of slowly-rotating-overhead-panorama shots. He really overdoes that maneuver.

- I'm hoping 90% of this movie is Galadriel standing against pretty backgrounds sounding sombre and thoughtful. I luvs her.
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Five alternate trailer endings on the website, complete with Shore music! I've only watched the Gandalf one so far, but it's way better than the official ending...
http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html#con ... our-moment
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

kzer_za wrote:Five alternate trailer endings on the website, complete with Shore music! I've only watched the Gandalf one so far, but it's way better than the official ending...
http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html#con ... our-moment
That's a neat marketing gimmick.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Or it would be if I could get any of them to work...
-The Decemberists