Three Hobbit Films Confirmed by Peter Jackson

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Long time away and when it comes to The Hobbit, I have stayed away on purpose. I separate the books from the movies quite easily and find myself in the source material far more than I watch any version of the LOTR Trilogies that I own, even the EE. Having stated that, the movies are entertainment and I'll see them for such.

I have to admit that I am personally not happy about a 3rd movie (my 18 year old son told me about this). I think the danger here is having too many stories that are trying to be told and an audience wondering what the crude is going on, getting lost so to say. I remember in ROTK when the Eagles and Gandalf saved Frodo and Sam and people kept thinking that was the end, but the movie went on. I expect that will happen here. I think PJ should have been true to the KISS principle here, Keep it Short and Simple when it comes to the plot. The visual effects will be incredible, the battle scenes terrific, but I fear, lost in the depth of all the complexities I am seeing, is lost the heart of the story: Did Bilbo gain and did he lose anything from this journey? That and the notion that I feel is so needed in this world of ours that if more of us valued friendship, good drink and good food over hoarded gold the world would be a better place. Again, if we separate what we may want to see as fans, and look for what are the essential plot elements I fear the story is consuming itself in the name of hoarded gold. I hope the 3 films don't get lost in Mirkwood.

I'm sure as a Tolkien die hard fan I'll enjoy each movie for what it is, but I am about 1/2 through the book again, reading it with my 18 and 19 year old aloud perhaps for one last time. In the end I think it is this experience, of reading the book aloud and taking turns with my two graduated young adults that I'll take away from the experience. I think that is worthy of the message of The Hobbit.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hey, AJ! Nice to see you around!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."