The Reddit guy (possible spoilers)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Reddit guy (possible spoilers)

Post by Alatar »

I posted this on TORN in response to some recent discussion about the predictions by the Reddit guy last year:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/d ... ?limit=500

Couple of things jumped out at me.

Dwarves are more comedic, apart from Thorin - pretty clear from trailer
Lego Hobbit game - Only officially announced in the last month
Saruman was still definitely in the script even though at that time we thought Christopher Lee was unavailable - we now know they worked it out
Elvenkings dungeon escape changed - seems obvious from the clips we've seen that this has to have been changed
Designs are more fantastical than LotR - Boar Rider Dain, Axe in head Bofur, Jack Rabbit Sled?
Mirkwood very different to Lothlórien and Fangorn, more fantastical - Check

Wrong:
Dates of movies out by a couple of days
Voice of Smaug was supposed to be someone heard twice in LotR. This was a very specific callout. Not the sort of this you would guess. Perhaps plans changed.

Yet to be seen:
Itaril falls in love with Elf Lord? - Kili rumour would seem to challenge that, but its quite likely both are unrequited.
Smaug looks like Alan Lee's design. Quite specific here. John Howe has some pretty iconic Smaugs and seems to have been the inspiration for most creature designs in LotR, but Alan Lee is called out as the inspiration here

Thats just from memory. I don't have time right now to catalogue everything accurately, but maybe someone else can do that?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
River
bioalchemist

Re: The Reddit guy (possible spoilers)

Post by River »

Alatar wrote: Itaril falls in love with Elf Lord? - Kili rumour would seem to challenge that, but its quite likely both are unrequited.
Easy. Kili falls for Itaril. Maybe even literally. IIRC, he does not survive the Bo5A. Itaril is busy crushing on Legolas. And Legolas is in love with his bow.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Could be heart-rending, especially if Legolas breaks his bow. And gets a pimple! Double tragedy.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

A pimple? He'd be banned from the Elves. His father will demand a paternity test.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Al, as I think you know, I'm a pretty firm Reddit guy disbeliever.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, I just disagree with you. ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I do not care. This frees me!! Speculation is not in my day.

PJ, do your worst!!!

Well, he will, anyway. =:)
Dig deeper.