Fake Silmarillion Trailer

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The "heir apparent" to act as the arbiter of the Tolkien Estate is Christopher's son, Adam Reuel Tolkien, who is Christopher's youngest son (just as Christopher was the youngest son of his father) and is the son of Christopher second wife, Baillie. By all accounts, he has evidenced a similar point of view to his father about film rights, but of course that could certainly be subject to change.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Would Christopher pick someone to control the Estate who did not share his own views about film rights?

Although, you're right—the views might change later on, when Christopher can no longer be disappointed.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

And then there's Simon, the black sheep with the legal background.
Voronwë the Faithful

And who is a novelist in his own right. I've heard some interviews with Simon in which he has told wonderful stories of times he spent with his grandfather as a child.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I'd heard he'd had some novels published--legal thrillers?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup. I've not read any, but I've heard they are quite good. One day I'll check them out.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The "heir apparent" to act as the arbiter of the Tolkien Estate is Christopher's son, Adam Reuel Tolkien, who is...the son of Christopher second wife, Baillie.
Ah, so Fingolfin will be the High King. Fëanor will not be pleased. ;)
Primula Baggins wrote:Well, I guess I should have said "minus the sometimes gratuitous, always in-your-face sex and gore." ;)
Indeed, the Professor would not place those sorts of things in your face. But I'm sure we could depend on Sir Peter Jackson to bring to those aspects to the forefront in the unlikely event that he should ever produce and/or direct films based on stories from The Silmarillion.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm . . . less sure of that. I know this won't be a popular position, but I think it's possible that PJ has learned more respect, rather than less, for Tolkien's writing over the years.

The Silmarillion is also closer to, well, sacred writings, than LotR or certainly the Hobbit are. I wonder if even PJ won't sense that, if he ever approaches them as films.

No doubt we'll see how crazy I am in the years soon to come. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I don't have to wait years.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

8)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I read The Inheritance by Simon Tolkien and it was okay. It's not the kind of book I like, but it was decently written. People who like mysteries, P. D. James, etc., would probably like it.

When I said a fanmade movie, I envisioned (as I did in 2001) a time when a person could "generate" a movie on a computer, with virtual actors, etc. Of course, there would be no guarantee that it would be any good, but what if it was? What if it just nailed it? I think that would be cool.

But I'm not the fan who's gonna make it. I wrote a lot of fanfic but movies are beyond me! Better that way. :D
Dig deeper.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Primula Baggins wrote:The Silmarillion is also closer to, well, sacred writings, than LotR or certainly the Hobbit are.

I think sacred is a very good way to describe The Silmarillion, at least from the point of view of the Tolkien Estate. Professor Tolkien labored on them nearly all his life. I imagine they were to him like the Two Trees were to Yavanna, the Silmarils to Fëanor, and the white ships to the Teleri.
Primula Baggins wrote:No doubt we'll see how crazy I am in the years soon to come. :D
I would say that you are a 'hopeful optimist'. If that's crazy, it's a good kind of crazy. :)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I have seen this before, Voronwë. :) It is very good!