The Hobbit - BBC Radio Production - Group Discussion

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Hobbit - BBC Radio Production - Group Discussion

Post by Alatar »

I thought it might be fun to listen to the BBC Radio production to see how they handled some of the decisions in adapting, and also to see the pitfalls that PJ and Co have to avoid!

Anyone care to join me?

Here's Episode 1
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Anyone?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I did listen to the link you put up, Al, but hadn't found time to post any thoughts yet, As you know, I bought this set myself a few months ago, and sad to say I haven't opened the packaging yet so thought it would be good to do a group listen.

Can't say the first instalment really grabbed me on a first run-through... I'm afraid my mind wandered during it so I was caught out when it bizarrely cut off half-way through a scene! The idea of Bilbo interrupting the narrator was clever, if somewhat annoying, and I found the "Thor-een" pronounciation a tad off-putting. didn't like the Dwarf song at all - glad Howard is taking care of things for PJ ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I went to the link, Alatar, but I'm betting that I won't follow through with listening to it. :( I'm sorry. I'm just not good at that kind of thing.
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

The device of "Tolkien" and Bilbo sharing narrator duty is neat. I wonder how it could work with visuals.

This arrangement of the dwarf song works best when in the background as Bilbo is talking to the audience, it's more atmospheric that way. I like the Rankin/Bass version better.

If I were adapting it, I might have just one dwarf, the designated skald, sing and play it - or have the others join in at the "we must way, ere break of day" chorus. It should be more atmospheric than expository, since exposition could be handled through words and images. And they should sing after Thorin gives the "speech".

No "crack the plates" song here or in the movie trailer, but it feels like it needs to be sung by drunken dwarves.

It also feels very odd to see PJ's dwarves singing somberly in English since Gimli is so bombastic and clownish, and since he has all but ignored the LOTR songs and poems before.

In related links: The entire Bakshi film in one video. Youtube allows mega-uploads now? :shock: