Hobbit Set reports from Quint of AICN

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Holbytla wrote:A second hand report isn't going to completely dash my hopes that his growth will be absent from the movies, but I am always fearful of PJ and character changes.
Yup. I will never forgive him for Faramir. NEVER. *shakes fist*
Last edited by Inanna on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You're cute when you are angry. :D
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Hey, with Faramir, PJ INTRODUCED character growth. :D
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

That's kind of what I meant earlier; they went out of their way to create character growth when there was none; I can't imagine they'd remove it when it's canon.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Good point!
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's how I could see what Quint described working okay. If, after Bilbo says "I'm going on adventure" he immediately mutters to himself "what have I gotten myself into" or something like that, that could adequately show his conflicted state of mind.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

We can only hope.
Dig deeper.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Dave_LF wrote:That's kind of what I meant earlier; they went out of their way to create character growth when there was none; I can't imagine they'd remove it when it's canon.
Have you seen the trilogy? If they can send Sam away, they are capable of anything.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Here's how I could see what Quint described working okay. If, after Bilbo says "I'm going on adventure" he immediately mutters to himself "what have I gotten myself into" or something like that, that could adequately show his conflicted state of mind.
Or maybe he could be very upset when he realizes he doesn't have his handkerchief? And that shows his internal conflict...

Good point Holby.

And am sorry, Faramir was not character growth - it was butchery. The whole Ithilien stretch was hurtful. I winced and winced. As I did for Treebeard's move into Isengard because of a hobbit's "cleverness".

*gnashes teeth*
Last edited by Inanna on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Holby, here I was getting all complacently excited about The Hobbit, and you have to go and remind me about what they did to Sam!

<is :x all over again>
Voronwë the Faithful

It is isn't so much what they did to Sam, as what they did to Frodo. He would never have sent Sam home like that. No way, no how, no why.
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yay, lots of little goodies here! :happydance:

Love the description of Radagast as "an absent-minded St. Francis of Assisi..."

...and the idea of echoing the "Sting" moment - perfect!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

The most interesting thing to me is the mention of Ungoliant. Her name is mentioned in LOTR, describing Shelob as "the last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world" and I would expect that the use of her name would be similar here, describing the spiders of Mirkwood as "descendents of Ungoliant" or something like that. That could be quite cleverly done, being a nod for us major fans, without actually giving away to most people that there are spiders to come (since most wouldn't know who or what Ungoliant was).
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

An Unexpected Journey: Quint on the set of The Hobbit Part 5 – Thorin's Dilemma
This scene is all about Thorin and my first real chance at seeing Richard Armitage craft a layered performance with the character. Thorin’s a stubborn dwarf, very much a leader, but is smart enough to heed the council of Gandalf.

He is a man torn in this scene. His deep resentment at the elves (he believes they have betrayed his ancestors by not stepping in when they needed their help) pulls him one way, but his respect for Gandalf pulls him the other.
The part about the Dwarves' calendar for PJ's birthday is priceless!! :rofl:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'd love to see that. :D

These reports are wonderful. I also appreciate the more Hobbit-familiar here who can put them in perspective.

A last note: I think Quint must be the only regular poster at AICN who knows it's spelled "sneak peek," not "sneak peak." A tiny irritant, but hugely prevalent there. So yay. 8)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

On the other hand, he did misspell Tolkien's name in the fourth report, though I'm sure it was a typo (something that I certainly shouldn't throw stones about!).

Not too much to comment upon in this report, although the interaction between Gandalf and Thorin sounds interesting. It is not clear to me that Gandalf's disappearance is due to his argument with Thorin, though that is what some are saying. We'll have to see.

Sounds like there will be another report soon!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

This is all very exciting! :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I didn't understand this bit from the report:
Bombur (Stephen Hunter), who I’m convinced was modeled after Harry.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Harry Knowles, the founder of AICN, is...Bomburish.