Hobbit Set reports from Quint of AICN

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Thinking about this report, and the implication that the beginning and/or end of the Hobbit films will tie into the beginning of the LOTR films I can't help but wonder, just what is that book that Frodo is reading at the beginning of FOTR, just before he goes to greet the not-late wizard? Could it be the first part of the Red Book?
It looks so small though. The Red Book seemed to be kind of gigantic, at least the one Bilbo was writing in. It seems that hobbits have a lot of books, but Tolkien never really mentioned what they were, other than the Red Book.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah, I see what you mean. Here's a still of Frodo reading:

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html ... tr0049.htm

And here is Bilbo writing the title page:

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html ... tr0041.htm

I agree that it doesn't seem like the same book, but maybe the perspective is just different. Or maybe they may make an adjustment to make it work. Or maybe I'm shooting in the dark. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Maybe it's Bilbo's pocket diary from his journey? :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

An Unexpected Journey: Quint on the set of The Hobbit! Part 2 - They Call Me Mr. Chubb

This one has a few curse words, and a discussion of pig testicles, but not too bad. Some interesting glimpses into the workings of the set, and a bit of a spoiler as to how Bilbo's Hobbiton time is expanded.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Pretty cool! Even with the pig testicle discussion.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Seems PJ is definitely taking any opportunity to add more humour to the storyline - and I like the inspirational use of one of Tolkien's own Hobbit family names, entirely appropriate for this fictional fishmonger! ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

An Unexpected Journey: Quint on the set of The Hobbit Part 3 – Beginnings and Endings

Only one curse word, and no pig testicles. Minor spoilers, and some stuff that is likely to annoy purists (including me).
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Having only read the book once, I'm not a purist, so I didn't really catch what would be annoying to you all.

(I know I should reread the book, but it was, honestly, not my favorite.)
Voronwë the Faithful

Changes to Bilbo's character.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It could simply be an initial bubble of enthusiasm that is quickly popped once the rain begins (as in the book). This could be done without any fundamental change to the character if it is just a cinematic exaggeration and a "show don't tell" equivalent of his emotions as reported by Tolkien.

I think the line will be rather poignant due to the way it anticipates/reflects his last line in Return of the King.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Certainly the part about Bilbo's reaction to the auction seems fair enough - we at least have canon that Bilbo was annoyed about people going in and out of his home without wiping their feet!

I'm guessing the part you don't like, V, is the intimation that Freeman is playing Bilbo as being excited about going on his adventure? It could simply be Quint's interpretation of Freeman's delivery, but until we see the scene as a whole in context it's hard to say whether any perceived change is detrimental or not. I don't think there's enough there to get myself worked up about yet!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Elen, you are quite right that it could be Quint's interpretation. Although it chimes with what I expect from Jackson. And it is also the auction scene, to the extent that he implies that Bilbo is aggressively forceful. But again, that could just be Quint's interpretation (or even more, my sense of Quint's interpretation). We'll see!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Quint is not perhaps the clearest or most accurate lens through which to make these kinds of judgments (though if I'd gotten to pick which one of the AICN bunch whose writing I've read would do this, it would be him).

And, if Bilbo is actually eager for the journey, there goes not just the entire point of the joke in the Dwarf visit, but also his character arc. Would PJ really toss out humor and character arcs that are actually in the book? We saw him invent both to have them in LotR.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Primula Baggins wrote:And, if Bilbo is actually eager for the journey, there goes not just the entire point of the joke in the Dwarf visit, but also his character arc. Would PJ really toss out humor and character arcs that are actually in the book? We saw him invent both to have them in LotR.
I don't see Jackson changing the dwarf visit so much. The whole point is that Bilbo is extremely reluctant to undertake the journey. And that all these dwarves popping up is very nerve wracking to him. That's some of the funniest stuff in the whole book.
Voronwë the Faithful

This doesn't seem to be just Quint's interpretation:
He passes Worrywort, the hobbit he talks with during my big fishmonger moment, who asks where he’s running off to.

There’s an excitement in his voice as he shouts out that he’s going on an adventure
There is certainly a moment during the Unexpected Party where his Tookishness gets the best of him, but by the next morning, it should have cooled off considerably, and he needs to essentially get forced out the door by Gandalf before he can think better of it. That seems clearly to be changed.

Then there is the contract "trailing from his right hand." We already knew from the promo picture that Jackson couldn't resist beefing up the contract to ridiculous proportions. It is the Witchking's mace, all over again.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Quint does say that reluctant-Bilbo is there in full force when Gandalf makes his first appearance, and we know from his previous report that this reflectance is strong enough to make Bilbo go hide in the market. So that part of his character is still there. The open question is what happens to change his mind, and when does it happen? Is he so enchanted by Thorin's story that he's sold right from the start, or does Gandalf just deliver an unusually effective pep-talk when he discovers that Bilbo has forgotten his dusting?
Voronwë the Faithful

Either way, its wrong, because Bilbo should begin the journey full of reluctance and doubt.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I can't prove it of course, but I really can't imagine what Quint describes will be anything more than a transient blip of excitement that dissipates promptly once the real adventuring begins; maybe even as soon as he discovers he's forgotten his handkerchief. Bilbo gradually coming to grips with his Tookish side is a big part of the story, and the sort of thing that movie-makers in general and team Jackson in particular can't resist.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Either way, its wrong, because Bilbo should begin the journey full of reluctance and doubt.
And without so much as a handkerchief in his pocket.

For me, the growth of Bilbo during the adventure, was an integral part the story. The hobbit that bartered with the Arkensone was a far cry from the hobbit that was fearful of Beorn, farther still from the "burrrahobbit", and even farther removed from the hobbit that was virtually whisked out of his door and bemoaned hte lack of his cozy hobbit hole again and again.

A second hand report isn't going to completely dash my hopes that his growth will be absent from the movies, but I am always fearful of PJ and character changes.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not worried. Sounds great to me. 8)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End