Hobbit Set reports from Quint of AICN

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Strikingly so, and PJ has known Harry since well before LotR. Harry was a fan of PJ's early horror flicks.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

axordil wrote:Harry Knowles, the founder of AICN, is...Bomburish.
Ah okay. Thank you. My first thought was "Harry Potter?"
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

No, I don't see Harry Potter there, either. . . . :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Not quite another set report yet, but apparently it is imminent, according to Quint's latest update on AICN about how he got to bring the Teaser spool to BNAT :

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52315
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

He's been saying "soon" for two weeks now.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

DanielLB over on TORn has spotted this exchange of tweets between Quint and someone else:
VioletsFrameworkBlog @VioletsTFB :One more Hobbit report before Christmas ! It´s a promise from @EricVespe ! Was wizzarded to BNAT. He´s in next Vid Blog

Eric Vespe @EricVespe :@VioletsTFB Heh, well I don't know if any of the intro will make into the next Vblog, but they helped make the intro vid come together.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I saw that. But I don't see Eric promising a report before Christmas, just this Violet saying that he promises a report before Christmas. But I don't really "understand" twitter.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Surprisingly, Quint posted the next set report right after the trailer went live.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52353
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

O Ye of little faith, Voronwë! ;)

Obviously Quint had to wait for the trailer to air first since he mentions scenes that are in it...

Some nice background on said scenes here, and stunning shots of the Ruapehu valley. I'm racking my brains trying to think of what giant statue he's talking about?
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yegads, I forgot about the starfish dwarf. :help:

At least we'll get a pretty movie again. I wonder if the statue is for Erebor, given that the dwarfs were supposed to be looking for something.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:I'm racking my brains trying to think of what giant statue he's talking about?
I can't think of anything at all from the book.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

In case anyone was wondering, this is the latest comment from Quint on his set reports:
Since a lot of people have been asking, I still have more Hobbit set reports to come, but they won't return until I get back from Sundance

https://twitter.com/...s/160470633027862528
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Which, if anyone is wondering, ends 1/29.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Latest from Quint (Eric Vespe):

Also, Hobbit report update: I begin again in earnest this weekend. The plan is to rocket them out over February and March.

https://twitter.com/ericvespe
~Diana Cortes