The Lord of the Films

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

The Lord of the Films

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I recently picked up a copy of the book The Lord of the Films by J.W. Braun. Subtitled "The Unofficial Guide ot Tolkien's Middle Earth on the Big Screen" this is thoroughly enjoyable celebration of Peter Jackson's adaptation of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. This not a scholarly analysis either of the films themselves or of them as an adaptation of Tolkien's book. Rather, it is a collection of fun facts and other information to enhance appreciation of the films. If you like the films, you probably would enjoy this book. If you don't like the films, you probably shouldn't bother. Personally, I found it more ejoyable than the recent Picturing Tolkien which purports to take a more scholarly approach to analyzing the films, both as films and as adaptations.

The Lord of the Films: The Unofficial Guide to Tolkien's Middle-Earth on the Big Screen
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks for the tip, Voronwë. I'll be on the lookout for it. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yay, thanks V - I've managed to order it for £9 (inc p&p) from The Book Depository via Amazon UK... :thumbsup:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes