PICTURING TOLKIEN a new anthology on the LOTR film trilogy

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

PICTURING TOLKIEN a new anthology on the LOTR film trilogy

Post by Elentári »

Kristin Thompson of the "Frodo Franchise" writes on her blog:
Inevitably Peter Jackson’s film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings has attracted scholarly attention. Apart from my own book, there are about half a dozen anthologies in print and undoubtedly more publications will follow. A notable new one, Picturing Tolkien: Essays on Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Film Trilogy has just become available...
It is listed on both Barnes & Noble and Amazon @ $35.00.

Kristin has published anemail interview with its editors, Janice M. Bogstad and Philip E. Kaveny, friends of hers.
So far the books on the Lord of the Rings films have focused largely on the history of the filmmaking and the franchise or on the reception of the films. What approach does your anthology take?

While we asked authors to either talk about the films or do comparisons between the films and the books, we also asked that they not use this as a forum to criticize the films in comparison to Tolkien’s novels, but rather to address the films as another sub-creation, a sort of alternative version of Tolkien’s story, which is how we believe all book-into-film discussions should be approached. We therefore have a mix of essays with different theoretical orientations as well as different writing styles. We wanted to include the many perspectives critics have on how the films and the novels worked.

So we have essays on the films themselves, on fan cultures in relation to films and novels, and on the various kinds of armor and weapons created for the films specifically as interpretations of the information in the novels. We also have essays on the development of the storyline in each version, individual characters in films and fiction, and even considerations of what works better in film or in the written word (several of those). Our theme was not the films, nor the books, but sort of like the two expressive universes, how they related to one another, and where they did and did not intersect. Nevertheless, I am sure it is clear in each essay that Tolkien’s version is the primary, authentic one and Jackson’s, as he also asserts, is built on this vision but, as with all creators, on his own background and experience.
Table of Contents for Picturing Tolkien:

Acknowledgments vi

Preface by Janice M. Bogstad and Philip E. Kaveny 1

Introduction 5

I. Techniques of Story and Structure

Gollum Talks to Himself: Problems and Solutions in Peter Jackson’s Film Adaptation of The Lord of the Rings

KRISTIN THOMPSON 25

Sometimes One Word Is Worth a Thousand Pictures

VERLYN FLIEGER 46

Two Kinds of Absence: Elision and Exclusion in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings

JOHN D. RATELIFF 54

Tolkien’s Resistance to Linearity: Narrating The Lord of the Rings in Fiction and Film

E.L. RISDEN 70

Filming Folklore: Adapting Fantasy for the Big Screen through Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings

DIMITRA FIMI 84

Making the Connection on Page and Screen in Tolkien’s and Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings

YVETTE KISOR 102

“It’s Alive!”: Tolkien’s Monster on the Screen

SHARIN SCHROEDER 116

The Matériel of Middle- earth: Arms and Armor in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy

ROBERT C. WOOSNAM- SAVAGE 139

II. Techniques of Character and Culture

Into the West: Far Green Country or Shadow on the Waters?

JUDY ANN FORD and ROBIN ANNE REID 169

Frodo Lives but Gollum Redeems the Blood of Kings

PHILIP E. KAVENY 183

The Grey Pilgrim: Gandalf and the Challenges of Characterization in Middle- earth

BRIAN D. WALTER 194

Jackson’s Aragorn and the American Superhero Monomyth

JANET BRENNAN CROFT 216

Neither the Shadow nor the Twilight: The Love Story of Aragorn and Arwen in Literature and Film

RICHARD C. WEST 227

Concerning Horses: Establishing Cultural Settings from Tolkien to Jackson

JANICE M. BOGSTAD 238

The Rohirrim, the Anglo- Saxons, and the Problem of Appendix F : Ambiguity, Analogy and Reference in Tolkien’s Books and Jackson’s Films

MICHAEL D.C. DROUT 248

Filming the Numinous: The Fate of Lothlórien in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings

JOSEPH RICKE and CATHERINE BARNETT 264

About the Contributors 287

Index 291
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My copy is waiting for me at home when I get back from vacation. I ordered it many months ago. With that list of contributors, I'm pretty excited about it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It seems it was published over here just last week, so I'm getting my order in shortly! (though I might just wait until you've reviewed it for us, first, V! ;) )
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, that looks interesting! Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas or my birthday.
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:It seems it was published over here just last week, so I'm getting my order in shortly! (though I might just wait until you've reviewed it for us, first, V! ;) )
It was just published here last week, too, but it was available for preorder some time ago.

I will certainly post some thoughts about it when I get a chance to read it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I look forward to reading those thoughts, Voronwë.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Have you read it, Voronwë? How is it?
Voronwë the Faithful

I actually just started reading it, so I don't really have a report yet. I'll let you know.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It looks really interesting to me, too, but I'll wait for your take on it—it's a bit pricey to buy without knowing more.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King