Thoughts about The Hobbit that might have been

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
eborr

Post by eborr »

I think what aroused my ire was the title of the thread had it been more measured, eg" I think we have been spared from a different vision of the hobbit" then that would have been more acceptable, having said that an interesting debate ensued
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

eborr wrote:I think what aroused my ire was the title of the thread had it been more measured, eg" I think we have been spared from a different vision of the hobbit" then that would have been more acceptable, having said that an interesting debate ensued
I'll admit the thread title stung a bit. But here at least, I felt it was in safe hands. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Guilty as charged, regarding the thread title. I will change it, though for posterity's sake (and so that the comments of eborr and Dennis make sense) I'll also preserve the original title "I think we were saved from disaster" by editing a note into the first post. I have some more comments to make as well, but I'll have to get to those at a later time.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."