Hobbit film sets and such

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I have to agree - I wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't been a good look at a/the hobbit. Most of the shots are hard to identify and pretty pointless. I'd rather wait and see some actual shots taken/leaked from on set than between trailers...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:It is.

I must say, though (even though I posted a link to the first batch), these "spy photos" make me uncomfortable. It just seems a little too nefarious for my blood to be taking these sniper like shots. It's almost like paparazzi. Anyone else feel that way?
It seems to be a game they expect to play, given the shots we've seen of actors in hooded coats and robes.

I also got the impression from some of the daily videos PJ posted during LotR that he was taking it all in stride and even found it funny. And they certainly seemed to be able to work out deals with the more efficient spies.

I guess I only object to these shots insofar as they make the filmmakers less likely to give us real on-set photos. I'm not sure that they do, really.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Nelson!!! :shock:

My heart leapt. :D There is a Nelson in BC, you know.

Jeez. :(
Dig deeper.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

There's a Nelson in Ohio, too.

:(
Voronwë the Faithful

We're going to a barbeque today that is on Nelson Road.

Just sayin'. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D Well, see? They needed to pick a place with a less common name. It's gotten all of our hopes up, and now they are dashed.

;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

For comparison's sake, check out these pictures from FOTR (thanks to Arwen's Daughter at TORN for pointing this out):

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html ... tr0063.htm

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html ... tr0062.htm
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's it? They only build these tiny dwellings on both sides of the bridge?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I've always assumed "Hobbiton" consisted more of the many hobbit holes right around it than of "commercial" buildings. Maybe an inn and a mill was all they needed. I don't remember any mentions of shops, etc., in the books. And we do see an outdoor market in the film.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Middle-Earth appears to be returning to the Wakatipu

Middle-Earth appears to be returning to the Wakatipu if construction in a remote valley is anything to go by.
A three-storey wooden set and smaller structure are being built on private land beyond Glenorchy, 66km from Queenstown.

The Queenstown area was mentioned as one of the locations scouted for the ancient Mirkwood forest and the Valley of Anduin grasslands.
Popular opinion on other messageboards seems to be that this may well be Beorn's house, though I would have thought PJ would keep the design much closer to the Anglo-Saxon Hall of Tolkien's own description...could this in fact perhaps be Radagast's dwelling in Rhosgobel, instead?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Quint from AICN has apparently been cast as an extra in Hobbiton and will be posting periodic reports. He posts a picture of Hobbiton, with his hairy feet in the foreground (click on the picture for a very large high resolution version)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51748
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

A lovely picture, even with the hairy feet. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

And the promise of regular reports (beginning as soon as tomorrow, if I am understanding him correctly, although maybe he meant next Friday) is intriguing to say the least!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

He's one of AICN's better writers, IIRC.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

New close-up picture of the building being constructed "under the eaves of Mirkwood"

Debate stlll rages as to whether this is going to be Beorn's house, or Radagast's dwelling at Rhosgobel...

My money's still on it being Radagast's home - after all, Beorn's house is described as a long low wooden house and there was a cluster of other low buildings described as barns, stables, and sheds. A further description of the house indicates that it and its two wings framed a courtyard; there was a garden behind the house. The place is also surrounded by high hedges - which don't tend to go along with being nestled in amongst the trees. Beorn had gardens for his bees - there are no evidence of such in this or the previous distance shot...it's simply too close to the treeline.
~Diana Cortes
eborr

Post by eborr »

thank goodness we are getting some real rather than digital sets
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's neat, Elen. Thanks for keeping us informed!
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think it is Rhosgobel. It doesn't feel like Rhosgobel.