Hobbit film sets and such

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:From the Dominion Post, the one photo released from the first day of shooting:

Man PJ is skinny!
So now I suddenly want to go haring off after stills from LotR to see if that carved beam to the right of the door was there in those shots.
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Another one, from Peter Jackson's new Facebook page:

And PJ does look great! Must have been lifting all those Oscars.

Now back to Googling 347 references so I can add the second number to the page range.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Here's a pic of PJ circa LOTR filming in the same pose as the second Hobbit picture:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

He looks a decade younger, not a decade older.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Me heart is goin' pittypatpittypat. :D
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Primula Baggins wrote:So now I suddenly want to go haring off after stills from LotR to see if that carved beam to the right of the door was there in those shots.
Nope:

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

You know, those sets are so evocative of hobbits that even though I know the men are normal humans from our world and the sets were built accordingly, I still feel like I would need to duck my head in those rooms.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Would you mind posting a link to the image, yov? Thanks. Or you could put it onto a photo hosting site you use and hotlink to that.

I am curious because my rational line-it-all-up and make-it-consistent brain wonders why such a lovely and structural thing would be removed between The Hobbit and LotR. Lobelia pinched it while Bilbo was gone? Termites? Dry rot?

ETA: Cross-posted with River. The thing I wonder is how they manage to make the sets look so exactly and perfectly hobbity without ever slipping over the line into cutesy or twee.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

To me, it looks almost as if they considered an 18th or 19th century English farmhouse, romanced it up a bit to evoke comfort and quiet country living (the Shire is rich and romantic and Bilbo is part of the gentry, after all), and then did the architecture to Tolkien's specifications. Of course, they could have gone very wrong with that approach, but they didn't. In fact, I had no beefs with any of the set designs in the LOTR trilogy.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the pic that yov tried to post:

The carved beam is there, isn't it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

PJ's weight loss does look great. Now if only he'd comb his hair...

(But I'll overlook it since he created such a lovely hobbit hole.)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Voronwë the Faithful

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/fi ... sformation

If you go to the bottom of the article, they have a cool drag between the two pictures that I posted earlier.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yay for the carved beam! Mostly because having it there in both iterations of Bag End simply makes sense. I like it when things make sense.

This puzzled me, though, from your link, Voronwë:
Warner Bros has not revealed the new location of Bag End, but it is understood it is not part of the original "Hobbiton" near Matamata, created for The Lord of the Rings movies

Surely they mean the interiors aren't built there? Which would be no surprise; they never have been, it wouldn't make sense. But Hobbiton itself has to include the exterior of Bag End, doesn't it?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

vison wrote:Me heart is goin' pittypatpittypat. :D
Mine too! :love: I think I'm in Heaven! Everything is just perfect :bow:

And , Boy does PJ look good - Fran must be one happy woman!!!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Has he ever talked about what he did to lose that much weight?
Voronwë the Faithful

Prim, I'm sure that they were just talking about the interior. As you say, obviously the exterior is part of Hobbiton.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Isn't that first "photo" a drawing with PJ edited in? Aside from the beam, it doesn't look much at all like the entryway in the other movies. Maybe this is concept art?
Voronwë the Faithful

TORn Exclusive: First Pics from The Hobbit Set

Nothing earthshaking, but cool to see Andy in his motion capture suit. Interesting that they are apparently already filming Gollum scenes. I think his part is going to be much bigger than in the book.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

More pics, possibly first glimpse of Freeman as Bilbo?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's definitely a hobbit! :love:
Voronwë the Faithful

It is.

I must say, though (even though I posted a link to the first batch), these "spy photos" make me uncomfortable. It just seems a little too nefarious for my blood to be taking these sniper like shots. It's almost like paparazzi. Anyone else feel that way?