Now that we have official news, are you excited?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Drogo's massive sword dragged him down to his doom.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And thus ended the brief but significant hobbit flirtation with Sword and Sorcery.

Fortunately for all of us, Bilbo's influence prevented Frodo from becoming the Stable Boy Who Is Given a Mystic Ancestral Sword and Heads Off to Restore His Fortunes. He is so much more interesting as the slightly puzzled, desperately brave, but entirely inappropriate hero who fumbles the ball on the goal line. Better Aragorn for the sword-waving-around stuff, plus getting the girl.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Fortunate indeed. Frodo's Mystic Hand-Me-Down was more troublesome, though.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
eborr

Post by eborr »

Ah ha I can see where this is going now, in order to add some tinsion into the story, to give the characters an arc, a new subtext has been added, in that Bilbo had a thing for Primula, which she may or may not have reciprocated. Of course when Biblo went off on his adventures, she decided to cut her losses and took up with Drogo.

When Bilbo returned he was devestated and planned his revenge. Pretending to Primula, that all was forgiven he made he a present of a metal bikini, telling her it was made out of mirthril, wonderously light and flexible and of course non-rusting. After a night out on the old winyards, Drogo persuaded her to dress up in the kit, and took her out on the river -
The rest is history.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

It's a shame Tolkien didn't ocme up with that arc himself. Then we could have had a short scholarly note on the swimwear of hobbits, and another on the sindarin etymology of whatever the word for bikini was.

On the main issue I'm actually looking forward to The Hobbit more than LOTR. This is because its a far simpler story, with less to ruin IMO. From LOTR we know that it will look and sound great, and PJ can direct aciton sequences very well.