Hobbit cast!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

No, no, just me selectively picking on you again. Man, that feels good. Makes me feel forty-four again.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I would never be so divisive as to exclude anyone from a thread.
I was just merely pointing out, again, and on at least three boards, the inherent bias and double standards that have been rampant for a decade at the least, regarding male and female sexism.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am sure at least some of those boards will be agreeable to your posting pictures of hott female cast of The Hobbit. :whistle:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Oh sure they would. But not without screaming hoards of wimmen coming in and bellyaching and tearing assunder and raining on parades etc.

No one, nowhere, no how is gonna talk me out of what I have seen with my own eyes these last ten years.

Double standards rule the day.

Not one time in this thread have I seen anyone raining on anyone's parade or complaining about sexism or any such thing. Yet it has been my experience that as soon as a female pic is shown, the screaming hoards come running in and bash and tear and slash to their hearts content.

This is all well beyond what I care to relive anyway, but I felt obligated to point out yet another instance of bias and sexism.

Explain to me how this osgilliation and carrying on with semi-nude pics of men is in anyway relevant to the topic please.

Personally I am ok with it, but it seems that when I did it it was verbotten.

None of this fangggrrrll!!!!1 stuff belongs in this thread and if it were fannnbbbooooyyy!!11 stuff, it would be long gone by now.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Suck it up, buttercup. =:)
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Holby, you find an on-topic reason to post the pretteh in this thread or a new one, and it will be posted.

I do wish to point out that this is the HoF Movies forum, and I am not sure we're going to able to be be quite as strict about topic . . . wandering . . . as we necessarily have to be in, say, the Shibboleth forum, where the topics are serious and often scholarly (and where you hold your own better than I do, as you know).

I mean. This is where all the silly stuff about the movies will have to go, too. And the speculation, and the arguments, and the rumors, and the satiric stuff, and the jokes.

Post, by all means, your casting ideas for the female roles in the Hobbit. :P

Heck, post your ideas for female roles in the Hobbit. That's gonna call for some creativity all on its own.

Just remember who you're up against if you can't justify it. And I don't mean me. I mean a pretty terrifying array of women with whom you have tangled before. And some whose powers you have yet to test. . . . :twisted:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Rolls up her sleeves . . . . :D
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Just for Holby, here's my thinking-outside-the-box proposal for Bard, slayer of Smaug:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D

Yes, why not make the Bard a sexy woman?
eborr

Post by eborr »

struggling to think of the feminine for Bard, perhaps we could have Bardette or Bardie, got it Barderella

Not sure that I agree with interpretation of Mirkwood though
Last edited by eborr on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've no idea who the actor is, but hey, why not.

Has Bard been cast? I had always expected them to skip Bard and bring Legolas to replace him, but no one mentioned Legolas yet.

Speaking of whom, what is Bloom up to these days?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think we certainly need some Elf maidens to spice up "The Hobbit".

Its not a proper Fantasy movie without some Boris Vallejo!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I always thought women spending money on getting their toes done was a complete waste of money. But I look at what that lady in the first picture has done and I must say the look is very appealing. I could see it replacing open toed shoes.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Fascinating. I've never seen armor the only function of which is to prevent the user from raising her arm.

Nice flying lion, though, i'd like one. I'm glad it's rider was able to afford high-heell boots, given how pressed she was to find anything else to wear.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Zappos. It's the only way.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Maybe she has to fight against an order of monks that draw their supernatural power from pious thoughts.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Fascinating. I've never seen armor the only function of which is to prevent the user from raising her arm.
It's also good for getting through crowds.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

<yawns> well, this is all very titillating, if you'll pardon my English! ;)

But I dare say that if this ITARIL is for real she'll probably look a lot tamer...something more like this?

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hmmm, her butt looks odd, almost like it's split in two or she has on thong pants. And I don't like the Alatar's women either because they're too muscular.

But I do like the flying lion. He's pretty h0tt!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote: Nice flying lion, though, i'd like one. I'm glad it's rider was able to afford high-heell boots, given how pressed she was to find anything else to wear.
Maybe she's on her way home from a wild night. Or after the goon who stole her clothes.

That's one helluva bra, I gotta say. For both Alatar's pics. I wonder how that stuff stays on.
When you can do nothing what can you do?