Hobbit cast!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lali wrote: Hmmm. So did they ever recast Drogo?
Alas, I haven't heard that they did.

Perhaps he'll simply be a menacing shadow on the gunwale of the boat. :twisted:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ah, now that is interesting! PJ definitely went down the Celtic route for his Dwarf actors (alongside the Kiwis)...and I recall touting Connolly's name myself several months ago in the Cast speculation thread, though not necessarily for Dain. But good choice!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Actually I can really see that. Billy Connolly is a decent actor.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
eborr

Post by eborr »

Billy Connolly generaly appears as variations on Billy Connolly, which is no great hardship to me as I like him, however he has done more diverse roles, I gues the one that springs to mind is Queen Victoria ghillie and rumoured paramour of her later years.

I think it's a good choice, I have always imagined the Dwarfe kings as being over ther top
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Oh right, he was Mr. Brown in Mrs. Brown. That was a decent performance all-around, especially against Judi Dench.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lalaith wrote:Hmmm. So did they ever recast Drogo?
Nope. Nor did they ever announce any casting from Primula. My guess is that they ended up eliminating that storyline. Or reducing it to the point that the roles were miniscule.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Poor Prim and Drogo. :(

Well, I've deleted Drogo from the cast thread, and I've added Billy Connolly. Now that I recognize who he is, I like him! :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Okay, Lali, one more for you (thank Eru!) Apparently Scottish comedian and actor Billy Connolly has been hired to play Dain!

Connolly to play Hobbit great dwarf

Seems like kind of an odd choice, but I guess he isn't just a comedian. His looks are actually pretty good. And at least they now have someone playing the part, eliminating the worry that it was going to be omitted. Good news that!
How old is Dain at the time of the Hobbit? I couldn't find that information, but Connolly looks really old.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Connolly is 69. In the book, Thorin is 21 years older than Dain, but then he is also considerably older than Balin. We already know that they have gone with a younger looking Thorin, but I think Dain will probably properly be about the same age as Balin. I'm not too concerned about the age difference with Thorin. I understand why they made him younger. The important thing to me is whether both Thorin and Dain are able to project the proper amount of kingly gravitas. I've already seen enough of Armitage as Thorin to be confident of that for him, and Connolly clearly has presence. I have a good feeling about this.*

* Despite the fact that the only time I had ever heard of Connolly before this was when my wonderful doctor sent me a link to youtube clip of Connolly doing a hilariously obscene stand-up routine about prepping for a colonoscopy just before I had my own.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Okay, Lali, one more for you (thank Eru!) Apparently Scottish comedian and actor Billy Connolly has been hired to play Dain!
I just saw this posted on TORN. This is the first casting that I've been genuinely excited about. (Not that I'm unhappy about the other actors who have been cast, just that this particular one excited me.)

Back in August of 2006 I made a post on TORC that Billy Connolly was my choice to play Tom Bombadil:
Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:
RAY wrote:And perhaps having Brian Blessed portray Old Tom.They could have given Tom at least 15 minutes of fame in the film couldn't they.??
Brian Blessed, eh? Perhaps, perhaps. My choice, however, would have been Billy Connolly. After all, Billy has already proven he's good with ponies--

Image Image

--looks good in blue and is friendly with the little people--

--and can caper about in yellow boots.

Besides, if one Scotsman named Billy is good, two is even better!Image

Voronwë the Faithful

Altaira, one of the main admins at TORN, quietly passes on the news from Larry Curtis, aka Mr.Cere, the TORN staffer embedded with the film crew, the news that Conan Stevens, who was surprisingly announced to be cast for the part of Azog, a character that does not appear in the book at all, will actually be playing his son Bolg, a character that plays a crucial part in the book and for which no casting announcement has been made.

While my inner Tolkien geek would certainly have been interested in seeing Azog and the whole Moria backstory that he was a part of us, it is much more critical that Bolg be in the film, and Conan Stevens is perfect for that part. So I am quite pleased to hear this be confirmed.

Lali, I'm sure enough about this news, despite the lack of a formal announcement, that you could change the sticky post, if you would like.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Okay, I will change it. Thanks! :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Further developments on this story, from herr-der-ringe who seemingly have information regarding the casting of John Rawls to play...Azog!!!!

http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de ... _86784.php
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It seems further confirmation on Rawls' role is coming in, via acting agency Kathryn Rawlings
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Should I call it and add him? Or wait for official confirmation?
Voronwë the Faithful

Your call. I had posted this in the other thread because I wasn't sure.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hmmm, well, I'll add it, as it seems fairly certain. I'm sure one of you will let me know if it turns out to be false, and I can amend the sticky thread as needed.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Board member Carne, on TORn has spotted some more "extras" casting on StarNow:

J. Y. Marik: Dwarf Nanny.
http://www.starnow.com/jenniferbethamlang1

Brendan Casey: Elven King Thranduil's Lieutenant.
http://www.starnow.com/brenmcasey

Cameron William Jones: Silven Warrior Elf.
http://www.starnow.com/annake

Alexander Reid: Gundabad Orc.
http://www.starnow.com/alexandergrahamreid

Dave Stringer: Dwarf Craftsman and Dwarf Elder.
http://www.starnow.com/davestringerNZ
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Scroll down through the "News" page on the Karen Kay Management website and you will find this announcement about NZ actors:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Directed by Peter Jackson for MGM Studios. Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit, journeys to the Lonely Mountain accompanied by a group of dwarves to reclaim a treasure taken from them by the dragon Smaug. Featuring Mark Mitchinson as Braga, Craig Hall as Galion, Ben Mitchell as Narzug, Nathaniel Lees as the voice of the Necromancer and Nathan Meister as a Goblin.

Galion we already knew about, but Nathaniel Lees as the voice of the Necromancer? Benedict Cumbatch said back in the Empire interview back in January that he was doing the voice! Mind you, that was the infamous interview when he talked about Sauron being at the Five Legions' war, so there's no guarantee he did actually know what he was talking about!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

That's really interesting, Elen. I kinda hope it is true, because I was always a bit concerned about having the same person voice Smaug and the Necromancer.