Another LotR Box Set coming?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Another LotR Box Set coming?

Post by Alatar »

I know this has been mentioned before, but it seems to be going ahead.
Question: I understand that you're also thinking of doing a box set for Lord of the Rings on DVD.

Jackson: Well that's been a plan for a long time. There hasn't been anything announced about it yet. I think they're waiting to do something with the high-definition release, because I always assessed that the natural time for that box set would be when, when you release the films in HD, and I don't know what their plans are with that. So we're not working on anything at the moment but I know that there is an idea is in the background, yeah.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah, its just a matter of time. It will probably end up being timed with the release of the Hobbit.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I would expect it to come long before then. Realistically speaking, the Hobbit is at least 5 years away. Blu-Ray and HD DVD are launching this year. All the major studios will want to have a flagship product on one or other of the two formats. Bet money on LotR HD being the NewLine posterchild.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If I were New Line, I'd wait to see which HD format is going to win out. More customers.

I hope they will, anyway. I'm not buying an HD DVD player until the prices come down and until I know which will be the successful format (and until I can afford an HD monitor, of course, which may be years from now). But I want LotR in HD—it's really why I would buy an HD player in the first place.

Pathetic! :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

They need to get the complete scores to TTT and ROTK out first! :rage:
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Eru wrote:They need to get the complete scores to TTT and ROTK out first! :rage:
I agree. In spades. Priorities, people! ;) (btw, we'll definitely have TTT sometime this year, and ROTK...don't know yet, but possibly as soon early next year...should I just start a news thread here? :P )

Would we be getting any juicy new extras with this release, I wonder...deleted scenes? bloopers? isolated score?

ttbk
Voronwë the Faithful

TheTennisBallKid wrote:Would we be getting any juicy new extras with this release, I wonder...deleted scenes? bloopers? isolated score?
I have it on good authority that this important missing character will be included:

The scene depicted shows Jar-Jaromir shouting, "Gondora gonna fallsa"; he then trips over a corpse and knocks down a couple of Uruk-hai.

"There's this funny scene where Jar-Jaromir decides it's best to hand the ring over to Sauron, but then he drops it and kicks it into Mount Doom. Hi-larious."

Director Peter Jackson explained how the Jar-Jaromir character was added after all the other footage had already been shot. "That's the brilliant thing about digital editing and graphics. We didn't even imagine Jar-Jaromir in the movie until a couple of weeks ago, but now we can just edit him right into the key scenes. I really think it's going to be a hit with the toddlers."

Jackson added, "I just love it when he shouts, 'Yousa steala precious from meesa!'"
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We need a much more graphic barf smiley.

Or you need to not post things like that, Voronwë! :x

<crawls away whimpering>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, I remember the uproar when that picture was first posted and people took it seriously.
:twisted:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I seem to remember PJ saying that he would not edit another vut of the film, but that there's a lot of other footage that we still haven't seen. The famous Epilogue, for one.

I hope that they take the time to complete the shots for release rather than showing us footage without effects or score.

That reminds me, wasn't it Ancalagons site that documented all the changes? I think he also kept a record of scenes that we know were filmed but have not been seen.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

In the commentary to Fellowship of the Ring, at the first appearance of Gollum, Jackson says "we've changed the look for Gollum, and may redo this scene for a later release".

Which epilogue are you referring to, Alatar?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Apparently there was an Epilogue filmed which showed what happened to the members of the Fellowship after the War of the Ring. I must go look for that info now that you've reminded me...

ETA:

Dammit! I can't find it. It's not on Ancalagon's site. Does anyone else remember the site I'm talking about? They had an archive of Images that have not yet appeared in any of the Movies.
Voronwë the Faithful

Al, the site you are referring to (I believe) was kept by a German gentleman named Indrid Cold. Unfortunately, the site no longer appears to exist.

Here are a couple of pictures from the epilogue that I appear to have saved to my hard drive here at work: