The Deep Breath Before the Plunge

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Hand me a torch. :x

My nephew went to the panel on Hobbit news update at DragonCon and said there was nothing to report.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Dave_LF wrote:??? The DragonCon schedule included multiple events named "Unofficial Hobbit News" hosted by TORN. Did these just consist of some guy standing up and saying "nothin' yet!"?
I presume that they consist of the various information that has been reported at TORN, all of which has also been reported here by me, Al, Elen, and others.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Doesn't MGM have a use-it-or-lose-it type of deadline on September 15th?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

The latest debt extension expires on that date, and there have been noises by the creditors that there won't be any further extensions.

However, that and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. If the creditors think it will help them get their money, they will further extend the deadline. Still, it is to be hoped that the deal with Spyglass will be concluded by then. Supposedly, MGM will then enter into a structured bankruptcy.

Honestly, I doubt we will hear anything firm about The Hobbit before October. Actually, the fact that we haven't heard anything is probably good news. It is most likely that we have heard about it if Jackson was pulling out consideration for directing the films. Everything that I have heard points to the fact that it will go forward, with filming beginning at the beginning of the year.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

From your lips to Eru's ears. (Does Eru have ears?)

(And if so, are they pointed?)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Good thing we all a book to read. I might have to attend the showing of these movies as a ghost.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:hug:

RotK was 7 years ago this December. It does begin to seem like a long time.
Voronwë the Faithful

Primula Baggins wrote:From your lips to Eru's ears.
Well things do seem to be starting to happen, given the Martin Freeman news/rumors.

(As for Eru's ears, they are both pointed and non-pointed at the same time.)
Voronwë the Faithful

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

"Do not go toVoronwë_the_Faithful for news, for he will say No News and he will say Lotsa News, and thus he driveth his readers to the edge of madness. Madness, I say!!! Madness . . . "
Dig deeper.