TORN Exclusive: Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
eborr

Post by eborr »

V I can see why you might have that point of view, the fact of the matter is that GDT has wanted to make the mountains of madness for many years, but the project could never get off the ground.

I think it's inconceivalbe that a director of GDT's stature would take himself off for a couple of years to NZ for something his heart wasn't in.

My guess is like all of us he recognises that the time we have on this earth is limited and there are a number of things that he wants to do, one of them not being to hang around for a number of years waiting for a film to get the green light.

My own take is that he would put his own interpretation on to the hobbit, and the film would have been far richer for it. In the films that he has made he has shown to my mind a far greater subtlety and breadth of vision than is generally shown in fantasy movies.

Given the crassness that Jackson and his cohorts displayed in elements of Lord of the Rings(EG they had a basic problem in understanding the story) my hope had been that GDT influence and humanity would have delivered us the Tolkien film that we are all waiting for.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

eborr, I don't disagree with you, and my previous post was perhaps not phrased as well as I would have liked. I think GdT had some interest in the project, but I think he saw it more as a good opportunity than something that he was deeply committed too. As opposed Mountains of Madness, which is more his dream job. Or even the Haunted Mansion. But I do think the fact that the two projects that he has announced are horror films is a telling fact. Personally, I don't like horror films at all, and I would not want that sensibility to be brought to The Hobbit.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."