Hobbit 3D Related discussion

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The New York Times is also reporting that a greenlight is near, but with less details than the LA Times story and that aspect, and more of a focus on a topic that was the big topic of conversation some time ago, but seemingly put to rest.

Big Hairy Feet, Now in 3-D?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: Big Hairy Feet, Now in 3-D?
Man, can this 3-D just go away?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Nope. Sorry.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

*grumble grumble*

Maybe if I could see what everyone else is seeing, I'd understand the craze. As it is, I'm just paying more for the dubious privilege of wearing goofy glasses. But judging from the way everyone was gasping in the theater when I went to see Avatar I guess for normal people it's a pretty impressive gimmick.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Outside of Avatar and some animated movies it's so rare to hear anything positive about the 3 D trend. I feel like Hollywood is gonna kill what does it need to be a bad thing by cramming it into everything inorganically.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

This reminds me of the craze in the 60's and 70's and I can't seem to get past the opportunities for filmmakers to utilize this technology just for the sake of the technology.

If you pay for 3D and wear the glasses, you will get 3D whether it makes sense or if it is just for the sake of the 3D. I don't see any way past that.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

As long as there is still a 2D version on offer I simply don't see the problem. Watch whichever version you prefer!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The problem being direction decisions being based on the technology.
But I suppose that is a small amount of the worries anyway.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Alatar wrote:As long as there is still a 2D version on offer I simply don't see the problem. Watch whichever version you prefer!
Actually, it's not that I don't like 3D in principle, it's just the technology flat out doesn't work for me so from my perspective so for me the extra charge on the ticket is just a pointless waste. But if I'm going out with people who really gotta have it in 3D, I roll with it just for the socializing and wonder what the fuss is. I'm certainly not convinced it makes a movie better, which is another reason I don't get the craze.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Making movies. especially those which cost hundreds of millions of dollars, are a business in which the primary goal is to make even more money then they cost to make and distribute. 3-D films have two advantages over 2-D films:

1) you can charge a higher per ticket fee from customers which increases your box office take,
2) as of right now, a 3-D film cannot be bootlegged and sold on the street competing with the in theater product.

Those two factors make it the proverbial 300 pound gorilla in the room.

Alatar has a very solid point - as long as there is a 2D version so please the customers who do not like 3D, then everybody should be happy.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Point two is especially noteworthy. Pirate copies of movies are often circulating, as DVDs and as downloads, before the movie is actually released. 3D, for now, fixes that. You could probably get a pirate copy, but the number of people set up to view it is pointlessly small right now.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Video cards that can handle 3D are getting cheaper. It won't be too long now.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I'm not sure there's a 3D movie app for iPhones yet, though. And tiny screens are the big thing these days. :D

Not sure I could tell if an image the size of a credit card can actually LOOK 3D, now that I think about it...
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Technology is always changing and the bootleggers are at best only a step of two behind at any given time. River could well be right. But now is still now and right now 3D is not something that can be bootlegged. As such, the movie industry looks at it as something of a silver bullet to help them.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Well, you can get video cards that support 3D for desktops that don't cost as much as the rest of the computer. That wasn't true even two years ago (which was the last time I entertained myself by trying to assemble the most expensive computer possible on the Apple website). The catch is you need special glasses and a transmitter (and a really good monitor) to use the capability. So I'm not sure the technology will ever really be feasible for a iPod or iPhone or something similar. But for home use...I'm giving it two years. At the outside. And a few more before the pricing gets low enough for the set up to be less of status symbol and more of a standard (like flat screens TVs and monitors are these days - does anyone even buy new CRTs anymore?).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The local Bi-Mart discount store has a single CRT TV near their televisions for sale. There's a sign below it saying "THIS TV IS FOR STORE SECURITY USE. IT IS NOT FOR SALE." Apparently they were getting asked a lot.

I don't understand preferring a tube TV if you're buying a new TV. They're bulkier, have a relatively poor picture, and are harder to dispose of safely when they're done. They're even hard to give away now. Anyone who wants one can have a nice used one for nothing. That's got to depress the market price.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That depends. Unless you're going HD, the standard CRT is far better resolution than an SD Flat screen. The CRT by its very nature doesn't pixellate. I have a 36" CRT that cost more than most LCDs or Plasmas, and the reason I spent that money is because the Satellite package I have is not HD. Until HD hits critical mass I see no reason to switch to an inferior image quality on the 90% of TV I watch, just to get a higher resolution on a handful of Blurays or up-scaled DVDs.

The whole package needs to be HD or the picture is worse than SD, and that's most of the time. Here in Ireland at any rate.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

River wrote: So I'm not sure the technology will ever really be feasible for a iPod or iPhone or something similar.
Then again, they have these now...
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not to mention the upcoming Nintendo 3DS. Parallax Barrier 3D is very achievable on portable devices, since you only need the 3D effect to work from one angle. The reason we need glasses in Cinema and TV is that not everyone can be sitting in the "sweet spot".
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I'd completely forgotten about that technique, Alatar. Thanks for reminding me. :)