The Music of Lord of the Rings

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Music of Lord of the Rings

Post by Alatar »

I thought we had a thread about this book, but maybe they're buried in Radio City Music Hall and Albert Hall threads!

Anyway, lots of news in Dougs latest post:

http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms ... -2010.html

Couple of snippets:
What was discussed? Everything! Placement of images, the ratio of sketches to film stills, new photography of original LOTR props, never-before-seen work from John Howe and Alan Lee, fonts, caps, music examples (which we nicknamed 'the tadpoles'), relative visual weight of recto versus verso, icons, emblems, the significance of color in Tolkien's writing. John Howe gave us an FTP full of imagery. Alan Lee delivered hard drives packed with design work and finished pieces -- everything from large, frame-worthy illustrations to silly margin doodles (one John Howe doodle shows 'Sauron's Mace' ... a small can of anti-mugger mace spray bedecked with a commercialized Eye of Sauron logo). We were still discovering things up until last week. We had access to so much beautiful work, it was almost ridiculous.
As you're all well-aware, I can blab on about this project for hours. However, I feel my enthusiasm is justified. This is something so unique. The writing is by turns narrative, analytical and journalistic. The layout is both informative and flat-out beautiful. I always used a couple of key phrases when describing my initial concept for the book. I wanted a piece that existed somewhere between a coffee table book and a textbook. I wanted something that encompassed as many art forms as it could, from literature, to photography, to filmmaking, to storytelling, to illustrations, to music. If we were going to dance about architecture, we were going to do it well! And I think we have. This book is now everything I ever dreamed it would be. And in an atmosphere of cynicism, where there's supposedly nothing ever new under the sun, we've made something that you've never seen before.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Sounds interesting! Thanks, Alatar.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Can't wait to get my hands on it! I remember you saying, Al, that it is to be launched at the RAH performance of RotK Live in September. Hope that's still the case as I have my tickets reserved!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Doug's blog has been revamped, and he had this to say:
Now, technically we're still in our beta phase, so we'll be rolling out information as we go. But then, you didn't think I'm be completely forthcoming with all this, right? What I can tell you is that we have a 416-page hardcover book packed with music examples, score pages, film stills and artwork from John Howe and Alan Lee. Living in the back cover is a 23-track CD featuring unused, alternate, and early-draft music from FOTR, TTT, and ROTK ... and even a little discussion with Howard Shore and myself. The book and CD will be released this fall in a single package available worldwide.
More here.

And he posted this at the Film Score Monthly MB in response to some comments.
The ‘Howard and Doug Yammering Away’ bit takes up two tracks at the end of the disc. And you’re exactly right, we had a little extra room and wanted to find something appropriate to fill the space.

More than that, however, we felt it was in keeping with the concept of the overall project. The overarching goal here is to foster a deeper understanding and appreciation for Shore’s work on this series—but to do so in an aesthetically expressive way. We’re shooting for beautiful analysis, I guess.

The Rarities Archive is an extension of this idea. It has a little of everything: entire compositions you’ve never before heard, familiar compositions with new structures and passages, unused songs, theatrical versus DVD alternates, original demo material … and yes, Howard and myself sounding a little like Ernie and Bert lost in deep thought. (Basso profundo voices we have not!) If you’ve heard us speak in the past, no, it’s probably nothing shockingly new. But the pre-concert lectures have been a popular part of the live performances. While I suspect a good number of ‘we dedicated few’ on this board have already seen the lectures, many fans have not. Howard liked that the talk gave the project a little bit of a human touch, so we included it at the end of the disc. (And I’ll tell you a secret … we had a couple of pieces of unused music that were incomplete recordings—just fragments a few seconds in length, no clean starts or stops, but quite unique nonetheless. You may hear those pop up in the talk as a mini-bonus!)

This disc literally took us years to figure it all out. It’s an archive at heart, but while we imagined people navigating around and picking out a track here or there, we also wanted to present a rounded listening experience that could be played straight through. Tracks 1 through 21 are pure music … everything we had after years of digging through hard drives, recording logs, and thousands of CD-Rs stashed in a file cabinet. The curtain falls neatly at the end of 21, then we come out for a little post-concert conversation. Frankly, depending on the mood I’m in, I’ll often skip these last two tracks as well. Like anyone else, sometimes I want to think about the music’s creation, and sometimes I just want to hear the music. And sometimes I just don’t want to hear my dorky voice.

Anyway, we wanted to give the audience a true archive-worth of materials, and allow people to listen as they see fit. It’s a unique thing. I think that once you see the track list it will be obvious that we didn’t drop any music in favor of the talking.

So that was the thought process. I won’t be offended it you hit stop after track 21. Howard, however, oh he’ll find you … ;)

D
Off the top of my head, here are some of the compositions that might be on the Rarities album:
  • Full version of earlier Prologue from Fellowship (partial version is first track on original CD release, "The Prophecy")

Alternate Breaking of the Fellowship (recorded in New Zealand, along with the Moria sequence; featured in the FOTR:EE fan scroll)

Synth mockup of early version of the Shire theme (portion of which has been heard in an FSM podcast)

Synth mockup of alternate concept for the Fellowship passing through the Argonath using the Gondor theme instead of the History of the Ring theme (heard at the end of this podcast)

Full statement of the Nature theme as Merry and Pippin distract the Uruk-Hai at Amon Hen; in the film only a hint of the theme is heard (this can be heard at the begining of the score documentary from TTT:EE)

Full version of unused choral cue for Gollum and the Hobbits wandering through Emyn Muil (partial version of this is on both CD releases)

Alternate, forceful and strident instead of etheral and mystical, choral piece for Gandalf revealing himself in Fangorn (heard in TTT:EE fanscroll)

Gollum's Song with different vocalist (has been mentioned by Doug on his blog)

Two different compostions written for ROTK trailers (only one of these ended up being used,and only partially)

Alternate version of "The Horns of Rohan" (mentioned by Doug at his blog)

Unused Annie Lennox song "Use Well The Days" (can be heard on the DVD that came with the Deluxe edition of the ROTK OST)
And there some good pieces from the theatrical versions, ROTK in particular, that were superseded on the Complete Recordings by EE material that would be nice to have on CD. (maybe the best example would be Aragorn and company arriving at the Pellenor)

And just a hunch, but since the Arwen/Elrond on the bridge at Rivendell scene was apparently still in the film when the trailer was released, long before the recording sessions were done, it's quite possible that there was music written for it, and perhaps other deleted ROTK scenes. (take as evidence: the music for the Mouth of Sauron scene was on the OST CD)

We shall see, we shall, see...
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Cool...this has only served to whet my appetite further, TTBK, thanks! :thumbsup:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Doug Adams’ “The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films” This Fall

Confirmation of release dates (the Sept 28 date is tied into the live performance of RotK at the Royal Albert Hall.) I bet this is going to cost a pretty penny or two!
Carpentier and Alfred Music Publishing are pleased to announce the release of The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, a comprehensive account of Howard Shore’s score for the trilogy, by Doug Adams. The book will be available in the European Union on September 28 and in the U.S. and worldwide on October 5, 2010.

The culmination of almost a decade of writing and research, The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films is an unprecedented look at Howard Shore’s Academy Award®-winning score, with extensive music examples, original manuscript scores, a rarities CD, and glimpses into the creative process from the composer, himself.
The 416-page full-color volume features a Foreword by Howard Shore, an Introduction by The Lord of the Rings screenwriter/producer Fran Walsh, original sketches by John Howe and Alan Lee, and numerous images from the films. Also included in the book, courtesy of Howe Records, is “The Lord of the Rings: The Rarities Archive” a CD presenting 21 tracks of previously unreleased music created for the films, and an audio interview with Howard Shore.
UPCOMING EVENTS
September 27 Book signing and Q&A with Howard Shore and Doug Adams (Chappell of Bond Street, 152-160 Wardour St., London, UK)
September 28-29 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King, concert (Royal Albert Hall, London, UK)
October 7 Book signing and Q&A with Howard Shore and Doug Adams (Barnes and Noble, 1972 Broadway, New York, NY)
October 8-9 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, concert (Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY)
October 15-16 The Lord of the Rings:The Two Towers, concert (Devos Hall, Grand Rapids, MI)
~Diana Cortes
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Tracklist for the Rarities disc:
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

01 Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All (Alternate)
02 The Shire/The Hobbits (Mock-up)
03 Out From Bree (Theatrical Version & Alternate)
04 Flight to the Ford (Alternate)
05 Moria (Mock-up)
06 The Fighting Uruk-hai (Alternate)
07 The Argonath (Alternate)

THE TWO TOWERS

08 Gwenwin in în (“Arwen’s Song” Alternate/Mock-up)
09 Arwen’s Song (Complete)
10 Emyn Muil (Alternate)
11 The Rohan Fanfare (Mock-up)
12 The Eaves of Fangorn (Alternate)
13 The Ent Theme (Mock-up)

THE RETURN OF THE KING

14 The Return of the King Trailer
15 The Gondor Theme (Mock-up)
16 The Muster of Rohan (Alternate)
17 The Siege of Gondor (Alternate)
18 Shieldmaiden of Rohan (Theatrical Version)
19 Sammath Naur (Alternate)
20 Frodo’s Song (“Into the West” Alternate/Mock-up)
21 Elanor (Alternate)

(More info here)
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

:kiss:

You are such a geek...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You wouldn't want it any other way. :love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Re: The Music of Lord of the Rings

Post by Elentári »

If anyone is interested, Classicfm radio are broadcasting Howard Shore's LotR Symphony right now for the next 2 hours, to celebrate Howard's LotR score being top of the radio station's movie music Hall of Fame for the past 5 years...

http://www.classicfm.com/ways-listen/listening-online/
~Diana Cortes