Jackson's LR and critics: Decadal edition

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
solicitr

Jackson's LR and critics: Decadal edition

Post by solicitr »

An interesting article in Salon on the Trilogy's presence or absence in assorted best-of-the-decade lists, and the all-over-the-map variety of criticisms.
...divided fairly evenly between pro- and anti-LOTR factions. But while the lovers had a pretty consistent argument -- we think these are wonderful fantasy movies, and we don't care what the supposedly cool espresso-depresso crowd thinks -- the haters were all over the place.
The case against LOTR: Scrubbing bubbles!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thats an amusing article. Of course, its nothing we all haven't heard before. He could have written that article with a brief glance at the archives of TORC and got more insight. Instead, he chose to listen to those who wanted to be heard. Those who responded to his article with some pseudo-intellectual mneanderings to make themselves feel important. Thats not to say there aren't some very valid points in the article. It just doesn't really say anything. In fact, if we are to take the closing paragraphs as a summation, they contradict everything before by stating that its the slavish devotion to the text that ruined the movies, while all the preceding quotes suggest that its the changes that broke them. Oh, and thats ignoring the fact that lots of other people think they're not broken at all.

So, in summation, I believe the point of this article was to say "Some people liked these movies and some didn't". Wow. Deep, dude.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I would have to agree, Alatar. It would have been much more interesting had Andrew called up some of the major critics and asked, "Hey, you loved these movies back then. So why aren't they on your list now?"
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well said, Al...and people still love LotR because it is still consistently topping popularity polls...for example:

The “Lord of the Rings” trilogy has been voted as the best movie of the past decade, beating “Brokeback Mountain”, “Gladiator” and “The Dark Knight” to top Entertainment Weekly’s end-of-the-decade film hit list...

Total Film Magazine has also just voted LotR "Epic of the Decade"

IMDb has ROTK at No 2, with FotR @ #4 and TTT @ #7 in their top 25 movies of the decade...

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001–2003) was voted the most popular film of all time by an audience poll for the Australian television special My Favourite Film and by a poll cast by 120,000 German voters for the TV special "Die besten Filme aller Zeiten". ..

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, was voted the best movie of all time by Yahoo movies and Movies.com's annual reader's poll in 2006 and 2007...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Alatar hit the nail firmly upon its head.

Make the movie you want to make and make it the best you can make it. Its like that old adage about the better mouse trap - the world certainly did beat a path to the door of Jackson. Peter Jackson may have been a Ricky Nelson fan.
GARDEN PARTY

- Artist: Rick Nelson
- peak Billboard position # 6 in 1972
- inspired by Rick's experience at a Madison Square Garden concert
- Words and Music by Rick Nelson

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

CHORUS
But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

People came from miles around, everyone was there
Yoko brought her walrus, there was magic in the air
'n' over in the corner, much to my surprise
Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise

CHORUS

lott-in-dah-dah-dah, lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same
I said hello to "Mary Lou", she belongs to me
When I sang a song about a honky-tonk, it was time to leave

CHORUS

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck

CHORUS

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

'n' it's all right now, learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I always loved that song. From Ricky Nelson, of all people. There's a story in that, let me tell you . . . .

I didn't see many of the other movies of "the decade" but the list isn't very inspiring to me, and it's easy for me to say LOTR tops them all. "Gladiator" ended up being so silly I swear I wanted to burn my DVD of it. It could have been so good! Didn't see Brokeback Mountain, although everyone I know who saw it said it is a great movie.

As for ANY Batman movie? :shock: :scratch: For the luvva pete. Batman? Batman? Arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh. I just don't get the superhero stuff and I never will. My youngest son has been collecting Batman comics since he was 8 years old. Over 30 years. I just DON'T get it.

There are so many wonderful movies made that most of us never see. A friend of mine in Toronto sees a lot of movies. She weeps about the truth that most of them will never be famous, because there is no vast machinery behind them. Maybe that's why I've scarcely ever seen a movie that got to me the way a book can get to me.

The LOTR movies were really good. Parts of them were blindingly lovely. And I'm glad they got made. I'll let them, gladly, be the movies of the decade. Easily, as far as I'm concerned.

But a movie I loved and watch now and again is a little known Canadian film about a bunch of old ladies on a bus that breaks down:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_of_Strangers
Dig deeper.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Vison

I agree about the wonderful movies that never make any list, the small non-blockbusting movies that don't have any special effects. Those are usually the ones I like best, and most are based on books I love. I love books for that reason, I find my own imagination is often better at what I think things should be like in the books. ;)

I love the LoTR movies, but the books let my imagination and the theater of my mind explode far more than anything that will ever be translated to the film media.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Metacritic's "Best of the Decade" is pretty interesting IMO, if you'd be interested in the less populist opinions.

http://features.metacritic.com/features ... he-decade/

Some great stuff on there, IMO, including, of course, LOTR in the top 10. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Jeez. I've seen hardly any of them . . . :(

"The Incredibles" was terrific. Right up there getting onto the same page as The Lion King. But "Ratatouille" did nothing for me. I confess, and it is a confession of sorts, it creeped me out. A Rat is a Rat, and that's that. Although the Rats in "Flushed Away" didn't creep me out, because they were doing essentially Rat Stuff. :D

Did not enjoy Wall-E. Would like to see There Will Be Blood, but don't know when that will happen. Bought Slumdog Millionaire weeks and weeks ago and it's still in the wrapper.

I don't have the time to watch movies. I guess if it was something I was really interested in, I would. But my "time" is taken up with reading and fooling around on the intertubes. ;)
Dig deeper.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

That is an interesting list Yovargas. Neat to see LOTR make it as #5, 6 and 8 on that list.

Glad to see THERE WILL BE BLOOD rated higher than NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN which beat it out for the Oscar. I felt BLOOD was a really good picture that Daniel Day-Lewis just made his own personal testimonial to his own acting greatness. What a riveting performance and a truly unforgettable character. COUNTRY was just mediocre and - for me - far from likable with very little redeeming about it. However, I would not put even BLOOD above ROTK or TTT.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Dark Knight was more than a mere superhero flick, like The Name of the Rose (book) was much more than a mere detective novel. Both go higher and deeper than 'genre.' Rather, I think, it was film which used fantasy for the purposes of Tolkien's "recovery."

-------------------

My problem with There Will Be Blood was that, boiled down, it was just a vehicle for DDL's admittedly brilliant performance; otherwise it was pretty trite and unoriginal. I much preferred No Country, the first time the Coens have really stared into the Abyss they merely joked around with in films like Fargo.
Last edited by solicitr on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Yov,

I love the list, good movies on it. I didn't see The Kite Runner which I think is a woderful movie.

I still wonder what DDL's Aragorn would be like. To me he fits an Elf better than most actors in looks. Loved him in Last of Mohicans. :love:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Just a note that I went to add vison's recommended movie to my Netflix queue, and they didn't have it. I checked the wikipedia article, then searched under the alternate title, "Strangers in Good Company," and found it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

solicitr wrote:Dark Knight was more than a mere superhero flick, like The Name of the Rose (book) was much more than a mere detective novel. Both go higher and deeper than 'genre.' Rather, I think, it was film which used fantasy for the purposes of Tolkien's "recovery."
Yeah, people tell me stuff like that all the time.

Excuse me. A grown man ponces about in a bat costume? Solving crime and saving the city from chaos? Spending billions of dollars on fancy technology? Cuz it's gotta be billions. Millions won't do it any more, not for that Bat Cave and Batmobile. It is . . . IMHO, only IMHO, absurd beyond belief and I can't stop laughing about it. I always have. I am too literal minded, I suppose. I can accept immortal Elves but I cannot, I simply cannot, accept Bruce Wayne and his adventures as being anything but an adolescent boy's fantasy. Pretty, maybe. Kewl, if you like that sort of thing. But in the end IMHO IMHO IMHO (you will note that I am indicating that Your Mileage May Vary, In My Humble Opinion) is just plain . . . . . silly . . . . . Please don't be offended, Batman fans. :D You would all feel the same way about the things I think are great, so tit for tat and all that.

For the luvva pete. I don't care about "higher and deeper than genre". The genre is A Comic Book Superhero on film.

The Name of the Rose was pretty interesting, one way or the other. An awful lot of people claimed to have read it. I actually did. It was interesting, and I enjoyed it, over all. But detective stories, no matter how well written, no matter where and when they are set, are not my cup of tea. I read or see one, and 5 minutes later it's all out of my head. Gone. I never remember this stuff.
Dig deeper.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Primula Baggins wrote:Just a note that I went to add vison's recommended movie to my Netflix queue, and they didn't have it. I checked the wikipedia article, then searched under the alternate title, "Strangers in Good Company," and found it.
I hope you'll try it. I think you'll like it. It's a lovely little movie.

"Bernard and the Genie" is another nice little movie. It's a Christmas movie and should be better known.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101435/
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, Mr. Prim will be away on business for a few days soon, after my older son goes back to college and my middle son is off to Limerick and when my daughter has Hell Week (mandatory evening rehearsals) for her next show. So, I think I will be watching a movie or two that might not be Mr. Prim's cuppa.

I love Netflix. They have some GREAT stuff. It's so nice to be able to see things like British miniseries that I just can't watch on anyone's schedule but mine.

I just added "The Pallisers"—yikes, 12 discs! But I remember loving it back in the 1970s. I'll try it again. Some of that stuff hasn't held up well. Some has.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Primula Baggins wrote:Well, Mr. Prim will be away on business for a few days soon, after my older son goes back to college and my middle son is off to Limerick and when my daughter has Hell Week (mandatory evening rehearsals) for her next show. So, I think I will be watching a movie or two that might not be Mr. Prim's cuppa.

I love Netflix. They have some GREAT stuff. It's so nice to be able to see things like British miniseries that I just can't watch on anyone's schedule but mine.

I just added "The Pallisers"—yikes, 12 discs! But I remember loving it back in the 1970s. I'll try it again. Some of that stuff hasn't held up well. Some has.
I didn't get a chance to see much of The Pallisers when it was broadcast here. It was before we had cable. When it was rebroadcast, we had cable but it conflicted with some other show. Probably hockey . . . . :)

I remember the episodes I saw as being pretty good. The Prime Minister, the episode with Lopez, was excellent, I think. I should get these things on DVD. But I'd never actually sit and watch them, I'm pretty sure of that. I re-read the books constantly, but I have a hard time finding the time to see movies. The BBC did a great job of The Barchester Chronicles, of course. Alan Rickman as Mr. Slope!!! Wonderful stuff.

Actually, Mr. vison is going away next week for 2 days. :shock: I could watch tv all day !!!! - but could now, and I don't. :) Still, I could have the remote control in my hand for 2 full evenings . . . My plan for his absence is to move my computer back upstairs. Hope I can work that one out. :)
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's the nice thing about Netflix (I wish they had it in Canada, I think you'd like it too). You pay a monthly amount depending on how many DVDs you want to have out at once, and you can keep them as long as you want or watch as many as you want per month. They come in the mail, and you mail them back in the postpaid envelope they come with. So you can see things you're curious about without having to buy them, or store them when you're done. Off they go.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Primula Baggins wrote:That's the nice thing about Netflix (I wish they had it in Canada, I think you'd like it too). You pay a monthly amount depending on how many DVDs you want to have out at once, and you can keep them as long as you want or watch as many as you want per month. They come in the mail, and you mail them back in the postpaid envelope they come with. So you can see things you're curious about without having to buy them, or store them when you're done. Off they go.
Maybe we have it. I think *E* does, anyway.

It's the time thing, really.
Dig deeper.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

[O/T]
vison wrote: The Name of the Rose was pretty interesting, one way or the other. An awful lot of people claimed to have read it. I actually did. It was interesting, and I enjoyed it, over all. But detective stories, no matter how well written, no matter where and when they are set, are not my cup of tea. I read or see one, and 5 minutes later it's all out of my head. Gone. I never remember this stuff.

I love that book - one of my top 5 novels - especially 'cause it is set in a very old library ;) Thought the film adaptation delivered the goods and was pretty faithful, all things considering... [O/T]
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes