Hobbit likely pushed back to 2012?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Hobbit likely pushed back to 2012?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't usually put much credence to these type of reports (I've resisted posting anything about the hullaballoo caused by Jackson's comments about the filming being pushed back), but for some reason I get the sense that this is trustworthy. Maybe it's just that the reporter looks trustworthy to me (though I know nothing about her, specifically).

Anyway: Hobbit-Lovers Wait: It's Likely Pushed to 2012
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, dear. But the world will end then and we'll never get to see it. :(
Dig deeper.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Take heart, vison, dear. The world doesn't end until December 2012. We'll have plenty of time to see Hobbit showings beforehand. <whew>
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Except they'll probably open it in December, as they did for the LotR films (or so I read somewhere). Which means, it depends on what day in December, or whether the meteors happen to miss the particular theater we prefer.

Of course, in California you'll all be sliding into the sea anyway. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

While I hate to hear of any delay, it is fine with me if that delay is necessary to make a high quality product. Sure, Christmas releases worked really well for the trilogy, but I wonder why a summer 2012 release is not even considered?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

And if the world ends in 2012, we'll never see Part II. Dratted cliffhangers...
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

WampusCat wrote:And if the world ends in 2012, we'll never see Part II. Dratted cliffhangers...
One can only hope.

For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

That is a perfect cartoon summing up ten years of debate on JRRT sites. The young man on the left believes that a book is a book is a book even when it is not a book. The young man on the right believes that a movie is a movie is a movie even if it comes from a book.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Fortunately, we have all learned a wise toleration from the P&R wars on other boards, in other times. Right?

. . . Right?

:tumbleweed:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

:bawl:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

You guys rock. We should plan an ultimate moot to watch the Hobbit together--before we all die.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Or we could just die first. :pullhair:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Back in '04 when the RotK EE was over and we started looking forward to the next thing, I predicted that an economic downturn would prevent the Hobbit from being made. I guess this buys me more time to be right. :P
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Movies continue to get made no matter what the economic times. Making films is a business and business must have a product to offer the public. With no product, there is no more film industry and the first goal of any organism is self preservation. So they will continue to make movies.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Movie theaters also have not suffered in the recession (or at least weren't yet, the last I heard). People are looking for less expensive ways to entertain themselves and their families, and going out to the movies is one way to do that.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Unless things fall apart completely, which is what I was expecting back then. So far, it hasn't come to that. :knock: :knock:
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The young man on the right believes that a movie is a movie is a movie even if it comes from a book.
Um, did you notice that the young man on the right is depicted as a clueless dingleberry? Just wonderin'.