Fan film "Born of Hope" will be online Dec. 1

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
WonderBroad

Fan film "Born of Hope" will be online Dec. 1

Post by WonderBroad »

Hi, all,

Born of Hope, a Lord of the Rings fan film, will premiere online Dec. 1.

You can see the first podcast regarding Born of Hope on their Web site, or on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_n4m8RWn6Y&feature=sub.

The film is going to be very cool, and I can't wait to see it!
WonderBroad

Podcast #2

Post by WonderBroad »

Here's a link to the second podcast: http://www.bornofhope.com/Welcome.html . It covers how director/producer/actor Kate Madison got started with this project in 2003.
WonderBroad

Link to Podcast #3 and the new trailer!

Post by WonderBroad »

Podcast #3 for Born of Hope and the fantastic new trailer are up on the Web site, and can be seen here: http://www.bornofhope.com/Welcome.html
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Thanks for keeping us updated, WonderBroad :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Middle-earth realized.
WonderBroad

Here's the Born of Hope press release

Post by WonderBroad »

Below is the text from the Born of Hope press release:

--------------

The wait is over!

For fans of Tolkien this Christmas is going to be special--you can enjoy a professional Lord of the Rings inspired feature film--and not only that, you can watch it for free!

Born of Hope is a genuine attempt to tell a new Tolkien story boasting a host of characters, which have never been seen on screen before. Released exclusively on DailyMotion.com on the 1st of December, this UK based 70 minute prequel is the story of Aragorn’s parents, Arathorn and Gilraen, and the people who sacrificed everything to keep him safe.

You can visit their website here: http://www.bornofhope.com

Director and producer Kate Madison has put together a cast of professional actors, and a fantastic group of production talent, to capture the feel of the visual Tolkien universe Peter Jackson established in his trilogy. Made for a fraction of Jackson’s budget, probably about the same amount he spent on breakfast cereal, Born of Hope not only looks the part, but the original script genuinely brings a new dimension to The Lord of the Rings.

Uniquely all the talent that worked on the film did so for no financial gain, and the budget was made up of private donations through the film’s web site. The internet has been a major player in the making of the film as creative people from USA, Canada, Australia, Germany and New Zealand amongst others have been able to contribute to the script, costumes, props and music.

It is therefore fitting that the film can be seen from the 1st of December exclusively on the film’s website (www.bornofhope.com) or DailyMotion.com.

For further information log on to www.bornofhope.com where you will find images and trailers, or contact Kate Madison at team@bornofhope.com.

QUOTES:

"Amazing stuff. It’s incredible to see what craftsmanship, sensitivity and attention to detail is being brought to bear on this ambitious project. I can’t wait to see the finished film."

Richard Taylor
Director/Effects Supervisor, Weta Workshop.

"I really admire what you are doing and would love to support your efforts in some way."

Daniel Falconer
Designer at Weta Workshop
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

DON'T FORGET!

Born of Hope Premier :horse:

Born of Hope will premiere today (1st Dec) at 19:00 GMT on DailyMotion. For those not living in the UK that's 20:00 CET, 11:00 PST or 14:00 EST.

http://www.bornofhope.com/Welcome.html
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I just watched the entire film and must say I was greatly impressed. This was an amazing piece of work for a fan film. What was on the screen was far superior to much of what we pay good money to see in a theater made by professional studios with professional talent. And I am NOT talking about the Jackson films but other stuff.

Sure, there were some obvious problems because of money...... hair that were obvious wigs...... orcs with necks not made up to go along with the excellent facial make-up ..... but forget all that .... it was terrific.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I concur...the amount of love, attention to detail and shear effort that so obviously went into the making of this fanfilm has paid off and it is something for the film makers to be extremely proud of...

A good hour's worth...costumes, make-up, writing, for the most part, and acting were all outstanding and much of the scenery was breathtaking. Some really good, original and poignant scenes, as well as the obvious nods to the Trilogy.

SPOLIER ALERT

The only quibble I would have was that they tried to be so similar to PJ's work that they ended up imitating scenes too closely from the trilogy in several instances, and to me it was distracting because I recognized them. I also found the voiceover annoying because they tried to do a copy of Galadriel's prologue, but the voice was a little too "girly" to my mind.

But hey! how great was it to see and hear Elladan and Elrohir??
WonderBroad

Post by WonderBroad »

It's fantastic. Absolutely amazing!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Latest update:

...the film has been seen by over half a million people on YouTube since it premiered in December. And producer Kate Maddison is heading to Hollywood in a bid to get the film distributed.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article ... 25000.html
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

How could she be heading to Hollywood to try to get the film distributed when New Line/Warner's holds an exclusive licence to the rights? Something doesn't add up here.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WonderBroad

Post by WonderBroad »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:How could she be heading to Hollywood to try to get the film distributed when New Line/Warner's holds an exclusive licence to the rights? Something doesn't add up here.
Yeah, leave it to the press to get that wrong, wrong, WRONG.

She is NOT trying to get distribution for the film. The film is only for online viewing. She is working on new, original projects, though.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for clearing that up, WonderBroad!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Hello! :) I was wondering if I could still get access to my account after such a loooong absence and abstinence. :oops: Thank you for not deleting me. :)

I found out about the film only yesterday...yes, I should have come here more often...However, I immediately watched it and was very impressed. OK, it's a low budget fan film, but it was very well done. I also noticed that some lines were only little modified and brought into another context.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We never delete anybody, Lhaewin. :hug: Always hoping they'll decide to drop in again someday!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

It would be nice if some sort of deal could be worked out to put this as a special addition to the Blue Ray versions of LOTR. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the film online and would love to have a copy of it. Let the lawyers sort it out and create more winners.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers