The Art of John Howe - Sculptures from Middle-Earth

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

That turns out to be 426 US dollars and 260 British pounds.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'll check the other couch, then.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

If you click on the link then zoom in on the images you can see all the incredible detail close-up...just amazing. :bow: Image

<sigh> It really is very beautiful...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I know these aren't John Howe's, but this seemed the best thread for it...

...sometimes I wish I had more money than sense!

Weta releases first new polystone collectible from The Lord Of The Rings, The Argonath flanking the river Anduin.

http://www.wetanz.com/the-argonath
Last edited by Elentári on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sniff. I don't like sculptures anyway.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

That Argonath sculpture is several years old. I first saw the prototype at the Sideshow display in 2001 in Atlanta at Dragoncon. I do not remember what the proposed price was but it was about $100.00. Now, they want $185.00 for it. No thanks.

One of the things I do not find encouraging is that since Sideshow lost the right to produce these sculptures and WETA now is doing them, the price point seems to have doubled on most things. This is a very scary prospect for the HOBBIT films merchandise. I purchased a ton of Sideshow stuff and am extremely happy with it. But if it had been twice the price, I would have passed on it all.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well I preordered. Its similar price to what I paid for most pieces down through the years in euros.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Understandable Alatar - we all pay for what we want and find a way to live with it. Lord knows that I have paid over and over again and others would find it excessive.

I do hope we get quality sculptures that are affordable from the HOBBIT films. I would love to have a Rivendell environment since we did not get one from the LOTR series. A Dol-Guldur environment also seems a natural.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Or Smaug and Lake-town, visually perhaps the best moment in Tolkien.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Yes Ax, that would be an outstanding one.

Alatar, after reading you ordered it, it inspired me to go back and look at it again. I found the multiple perspective shots and was really impressed by the water with the tiny boats which really give the statues their feel. Now I am thinking about this as a possible purchase. I do NOT remember the water as part of the prototype I saw back in 2001. Perhaps that has been added. If so, its a definite plus.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'm guessing we will almost certainly get Tom, Bert and William as a group figurine, plus a Smaug or two, but yeah, Rivendell, Laketown and the Lonely Mountain will be the biggies this time around as far as environments are concerned. I'd be rooting for DG, too. I wonder if they'll do the entrance to the Elvenking's Halls as well...that would be neat.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

For character studies, there's Riddles in the Dark, Bilbo presenting the Arkenstone, and Bilbo the Barrel-rider :D.

Other action moments--the rescue by the Eagles from the Worgs and Goblins, The Arrival of Beorn, the emergence of Thorin's Company at the BO5A...
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The real question is, will GdT feel constrained to stay true to the design of the Stone Trolls. They were only briefly seen in the Theatrical cut and only mentioned in the Extended Edition. Given they're his first big reveal in the Movies, will he want to up the ante?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's a good question. I'm guessing that he won't be constrained by what we saw in FOTR.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."