Pointy-eared elves

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Siberian

Pointy-eared elves

Post by Siberian »

Where do they come from? D&D? Anime?

I understand that filmmakers needed to distinguish visually between humans and elves but now everyone, even many readers think that that's they way Tolkien's elves were (reinforced by the images of elves in the popular culture).

Don't they think that such a prominent feature should have been well known, especially in the First Age? Or in Númenor while they were still friendly with elves? Or during the Last Alliance? How could have anyone taken some of the Edain or Numenoreans for elves then? And what about the half-elven? Do their ears just change their shape when they choose their fate? :)

Or imagine Faramir looking at Frodo and Sam and saying:
“Elves do not walk in Ithilien in these days. And Elves are wondrous fair to look upon, or so “tis said, and they have pointy ears.” :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I moved this to the Tolkien Movies forum. But I left a shadow in Shibboleth.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Actually, it was not a specific question about the movies. More like the perception of elves in the popular culture and how it, in turns, affects images of Tolkien's elves.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, we'll see where the discussion goes. But as phrased, the initial post sounds more like an adaptation question then a question specifically about Tolkien's work.

In any event, the pointed ears of the Elves and the Hobbits in the films does have its genesis in Tolkien's own words. In a 1938 letter to Houghton Mifflin he wrote about Hobbits that they have "A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish'." Now, one could argue that "pointed" and "'elvish'" are meant to be two different things, but if so, what exactly does "elvish" mean?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Maybe in that spot Tolkien was referring to the popular images of "elves" (little people in fanciful clothes with very pointed ears!) rather than his own conception of them.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe. But in that case we would have Hobbits with pointed, elvish ears, and Elves, without them? Even though Hobbits are explicitly part of the same race as humans, and Elves are not?
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Primula Baggins wrote:Maybe in that spot Tolkien was referring to the popular images of "elves" (little people in fanciful clothes with very pointed ears!) rather than his own conception of them.
The way it's phrased, that's what I think, too. If meant his elves, he'd say "elven".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, he would not then have been saying his Elves did not have pointed ears.

I can honestly see why PJ made that choice. It's a simple way to help the audience new to LotR to keep the players straight without a program. As I remember I felt a little disappointed in the decision, because it does seem to be taking the easy way out; but when I actually saw FotR, it no longer mattered to me. I was in Middle-earth!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thats a cop-out Siberian. You're looking for a way to justify your opinion.

Take the alternative approach. You have one statement by Tolkien that Elvish ears are slightly pointed.

Now find anything that disproves that in the text.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

"Slightly pointed" is accurate when describing Legolas, Arwen, and the other "movie Elves": compared to the depictions of "elves" in fairy tale illustrations, etc., when the ears were much larger and pointier. I think I shall go check *Rackham and a few other illustrators.
*did so, proves nothing, don't have time to do more.

A lot of the things PJ did irk me no end, but the ears on the Elves were just fine. As Prim so wisely says, it helps keep the players straight in the viewers' minds.
Dig deeper.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

I didn't mind Elvish ears in the movies. Something was needed to distinguish the races (although I did feel they were a bit too prominent at times).
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Alatar wrote:Thats a cop-out Siberian. You're looking for a way to justify your opinion.

Take the alternative approach. You have one statement by Tolkien that Elvish ears are slightly pointed.

Now find anything that disproves that in the text.
But there's nothing there that confirms it either, in any description of the elves, even when they're compared to men.

Why did Tolkien write 'elvish' in quotes? What makes you think he was referring to his own elves? By 1938, the general public has only met Tolkien's elves in The Hobbit, and there's no description of their ears, so why would he compare hobbits to them?
Voronwë the Faithful

Because they were very alive in his consciousness. I can think of a very good reason why he would NOT so casually compare hobbits to the common image of Elves that was popular at the time; he despised that image and thought that it was a great insult to the history of Faerie (one of the reasons, for instance, that he dislike Shakespeare).
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

I know, I read On Fairy-stories ;)

That doesn't mean he couldn't compare some of the purely physical features for the benefit of the "outsider". How could the publisher know the details about Tolkien's elves' ears?

Besides, if he hated the pop-cultural elves of the time, why would he give them this feature then? He even regretted using the word "elves" eventually.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Maybe he was trying to reclaim the word?
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Are there any publications of The Hobbit or LOTR that were published during Tolkien's lifetime than have illustrations of elves with pointy ears? Surely that would be tacit approval.

Smaug, by the way, has pointy ears, according to JRRT :P
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Not a bad compilation of arguments on this question:

http://tolkien.slimy.com/essays/Ears.html
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

That pretty much says it all.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Pointy-eared elves

Post by River »

Siberian wrote:Do their ears just change their shape when they choose their fate?
Maybe. Or maybe, once they've decided to be mortal, they mate with mortals and the progeny mates with mortals and eventually the trait is just flat-out extinguished. I don't have a book in front of me, but Arwen is F2 from the initial Elwing/Eärendil cross and Aragorn is something like F50. Plenty of time for the Elf-ears to get bred out, even if they are dominant, especially since, until the Arwen/Aragorn pairing, there's no out-crossing into a purely Elven, or even another half-Elven, lineage.

Oh good lord, I almost set up a Punnett square on pointy ears. And we don't even know for sure if Elrond and Elros had elven ears or human ears or even if the ears are dominant, recessive, or co-dominant or if it's even a Mendelian trait...
:help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

There, there, it's perfectly natural.

Punnett squares . . . my brown-eyed daughter had a lot of fun with that one, with a blue-eyed dad and green-eyed mom; her teacher kept saying it was not possible for her to be brown-eyed with that parentage and she must have gotten our eye colors wrong.

Fortunately she had a biologist dad to load her up with a detailed explanation she then relayed to the teacher. I honestly thought we were going to have to leave town under a cloud.