ARISE SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE (AND HONOURS FOR OTHER LOTR STARS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

So, this knighthood came from Queen Elizabeth? Or what?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

All knighthoods come from the Crown, which (nominally) is that of New Zealand as well as the UK. The actual choosing is done by the PM or Government of the country in question, but the fiction is that it is a 'recommendation' to HM the Queen. The GG of course is acting as her representative.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Actually...

Former Prime Minister Helen Clark abolished British knighthoods in 2000.

PJ's knighthood is the reinstatement of the title for the first time in a decade. The NZ version is the highest honour available in the country.

It carries no honorific and is limited to 20 living New Zealanders at any one time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 435718.stm
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Yes, it's true that the old degrees of the Order of the British Empire etc no longer apply in New Zealand; nonetheless the 'replacement' New Zealand Order of Merit is still (nominally) bestowed by the Head of State, i.e. the Queen.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I cannot get used to thin, post-Lasik PJ. If he ever cut and combed his hair, I wouldn't know him at all. :P

Still, good for him, for the knighthood and for improving his health (an example a lot of people must notice).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Elentári wrote:Actually...

Former Prime Minister Helen Clark abolished British knighthoods in 2000.

PJ's knighthood is the reinstatement of the title for the first time in a decade. The NZ version is the highest honour available in the country.

It carries no honorific and is limited to 20 living New Zealanders at any one time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 435718.stm

That's what I was wondering, I knew that NZ had, like Canada, abolished British knighthoods. Canada doesn't do knighthoods at all. We have The Order of Canada in its varying degrees of splendidness. There is no "title", you are just a member.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Shoot, I guess that means that once you become a famous published author, we can't hope for Dame Vison to grace our board. You'd make one hell of a knight. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Five Oscars and four Baftas are recognition for a body of work in the film industry, but a knighthood for Weta Workshop's Richard Taylor is reward beyond the realm of his imagination.

Sir Richard, 45, who has won the movie awards for his work with Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong, has been knighted in this year's Queen's Birthday honours list.
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-storie ... ta-stable/
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's seriously well deserved. He's responsible for much that is almost indisputably wonderful in the LotR films.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sir Christopher Lee - BAFTA Academy Fellow in 2011
On Sunday 13 February the British Academy of Film and Television Arts will present Sir Christopher Lee with the Academy Fellowship at the Orange British Academy Film Awards ceremony at London’s Royal Opera House.

Awarded annually by the Academy, the Fellowship is the highest accolade bestowed upon an individual in recognition of an outstanding and exceptional contribution to film.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's really cool, Elen.

Looking forward to the BAFTAs. It's my favorite film awards show after the Oscars. I just wish Stephen Fry would host again. :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I found his acceptance speech really moving. They gave him a standing ovation and he was clearly very moved and his speech was both dignified and witty. His best quip: "I'm just grateful I don't follow in the footsteps of the great Stanley Kubrick, whose award was posthumous." :D

But he looked so frail. He's only two years older than my dad ... :(

http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/academ ... 40,BA.html
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

He did look frail. But he is apparently going to be in The Hobbit for reals. I imagine they'll shoot around his frailty, and his acting will cover the rest.

I was also moved by his speech. I wonder if Ian McKellen was watching?
eborr

Post by eborr »

I hope he makes it to the Hobbit and in a more substantial way than his great friend Peter Cushing did in Star Wars Episode 3.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes, Bless him, he did look incredbly frail - hard to believe the difference from 12 years ago...

But his personality andvoice seems as strong as ever and that is what is important for HOBBIT. Hopefully if PJ can film his closeups (and Ian Holm, too) in London, then with a body double for the rest it may stll work seamlessly - after all they managed in Gladiator after Oliver Reed's death.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, that voice had not changed! After watching him shuffle out leaning on a cane, it was great to hear him sounding like himself.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

They will have to do some serious touch up on any close-ups, though. His face is much more lined and his eyes more sunken in their sockets.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."