How Ian Holm will appear in the Hobbit films

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

How Ian Holm will appear in the Hobbit films

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have learned that a part has been written into the scripts for Ian Holm. Apparently older Bilbo (Bilbo-Prime) will enter a Black Rider Hole and return to the past from the future, just in time to advise younger Bilbo to take the Arkenstone, telling him to do what feels right.

Then, during the credits, Leonard Nimoy will perform The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins.

:nana:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Just in case someone hasn't seen it

The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Just line up in random order, will you?

Thank you so much.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

For decades I have tried to forget that, ever since seeing it when it aired on TV. Alas, it is seared into my brain. Aieeee!
Mrs.Underhill

Re: How Ian Holm will appear in the Hobbit films

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I have learned that a part has been written into the scripts for Ian Holm. Apparently older Bilbo (Bilbo-Prime) will enter a Black Rider Hole and return to the past from the future, just in time to advise younger Bilbo to take the Arkenstone, telling him to do what feels right.

Then, during the credits, Leonard Nimoy will perform The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins.
Ah-ha-ha, made my day. :love: :rofl:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

V-Dude wrote:Bilbo (Bilbo-Prime) will enter a Black Rider Hole
:shock: That's a bit, um, risque for PG-13, dontcha think? :help:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Someone better salmon yovargas. :x

Now, there's a sentence you're not going to read every day. Unless you hang around here, I guess. ;)
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Fish the hippo.

:salmon:

(need bigger salmon, but it won't fit in my fridge)
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

That's more like it.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Hey! Why am I getting fish - I didn't say it! :rage:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The rest of us were being refined and not noticing. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Good point, yov!

V should self-salmon immediately.

:rage:
Voronwë the Faithful

Um, no. The thought never occurred to me. And therefore, it never occurred to me than anyone would place such an unneccessary and inappropriate connotation on what I wrote. Actually, I posted the same thread at TORN and no one thought to make that connection, or if they did, they had the decency to keep it to themself. People there thought it was very funny and very clever. I'm embarrassed and chagrined that it would take this type of ugly turn at my own site. I'm going to lock this thread.