The Two Towers re-redux

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Not for Eru's eyes. ;)

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:Choosing it doesn't make it any nicer or less tragic.
Not to say it wasn't tragic, but she didn't, in fact, linger for long years. :)

That's why I don't understand it when people extol that particular depiction as a superlative realization of book Arwen's fate.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

<.........can't quite believe she's getting into this again, but........>

Did someone say Arwen????? :horse: :love: ;)
truehobbit wrote:
Mossy wrote:
Yes, the reason I couldn't find that bit moving was because I just went: huh? I thought she chose mortality?
She chose it, but that doesn't mean it's nice or pleasant. She was created to be an eternal being, and now that's going to be cut off suddenly. Most people fear death, and we expect it and are created to die. I hesitate to say that she's not supposed to die, but that wasn't part of her life plan. She ends up alone in the dead woods of Lothlórien. Choosing it doesn't make it any nicer or less tragic.
Mossy, my stress was not on "chose" but on "mortality"!
Because she chose mortality she is not going to dwell here, "bound to your grief, under the fading trees, until all the world is changed" .
I think what was said was that she was going to live on to the end of the world after Aragorn's death, and that's just not the case (if I understand it correctly).
Arwen, I believe, had the potential to live to the end of the world after Aragorn's death. She chose a mortal death, not a mortal life. We had quite the discussion about this at TORC (surprise, surprise), and so I'll repeat that I think that as one of the Half-Elven, Arwen pretty much had two "death options" (now there's a phrase!)........to give in to death because of despair and grief, or to "give back the gift", and die, like Aragorn, in a state of estel. It's never revealed in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen what her state of mind was when she laid herself down on Cerin Amroth. I've always hoped for the latter, but I think, deep down in my heart, because of the way Tolkien wrote of it, she died of grief. :cry:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Ath, what a lovely sig pic!
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

:horse:

Thank you all for coming to my party! I'm delighted to discover that there are others who also miss movie discussions. I didn't find TORC until just after ROTK was released, and even then it took months before I could pluck up the courage to post. So I sorta feel cheated :D because I wasn't able to indulge my thoroughly addictive nature and analyse each film in excruciating detail.

I beg indulgence from all of those who have been there/done that/thrown the tee shirt away .... but to the deprived m00bs among us .... I say we should take up the sword and press on.

Once more into the breach, dear friends ....

:blackeye:
Mossy wrote:
I also didn't care for the obligatory women-huddling-fear shots. However, in PJ's defense, the women of Rohan didn't fight in the books either.
True. But (alongside my own distaste for ineffectual women in a warrior culture!).... I base my complaint on yet another script inconsistency .... think back to Éowyn's sparring scene with Aragorn when she says, Women of this country learned long ago: Those without swords may still die upon them!
To me those words indicate that the women of Rohan are not only familiar with weaponry but are also able to use those weapons in their own defense if necessary.
She's too gentle. She doesn't seem in any way tempered with steel except in that one scene with Aragorn. Instead, she was made into a lovelorn and somewhat petulant noblewoman. The whole Dernhelm thing seems out of the blue and more a response to unrequited love than anything else.
Petulant noblewoman indeed! :D I might agree with you except that I did get a sense of rigidity holding Éowyn upright when the world around her was disintegrating. Concerning your second point, I would argue that it is filmically consistent for the sudden appearance of Dernhelm to be due mostly to the despair of an unrequited love. I always thought that was so in the book, too.

Voronwë wrote:
Sass, I have carefully gone through your post, and I'm sorry to say that I can't find a damn thing to disagree with.
:rage: :rage: :rage:

Try harder!

Eru wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the softening of Boromir though. Can you explain?
<This really should be an entire thread!>

Voronwë gave the example of Boromir teaching swordplay to the hobbits. Another is the conversation with Aragorn in Lothlórien:

Boromir: My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing. And now our…our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I— I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored. <sigh> Have you ever seen it Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?

Aragorn: I have seen the White City, long ago.

Boromir: One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: "The Lords of Gondor have returned!"

Not so much WHAT he said but rather in the measured, almost wistful manner way in which he says the words. BookBoromir is a proud, willfull man; cognizant of his nobility, who falls to the Ring precisely because of his rigidity. He does not question his ambition; he does not doubt. He is internally inflexible and because he cannot bend ... he easily falls prey to the Ring's seduction.
PJ softens and humanizes Boromir. He becomes sympathetic and we like him. The problem with this, with the changes to Faramir, there is no contrast and no way to distinguish between the brothers.
I don't think there is a discrepancy. Hobbits are supposed to be more resilient and less affected by the Ring,
One word: Gollum.
the diminishment of Gandalf in ROTK
<Another subject for a new thread.>

Think of it like this: Much of TTT was devoted to building up The White Rider. Gandalf has undergone a spiritual transformation through death and rebirth. He is sent back stronger than before and is Saruman as he should have been........ In ROTK Gandalf is systematically rendered superfluous. (V. gave examples) His authority and his decisiveness diminished in order to elevate Aragorn and show him worthy of the crown. IMNSHO, the logic of the films (and the book) is subverted and, adding insult to injury, is entirely unecessary. The relationship between Gandalf and Aragorn is synergistic .... they work together for the common purpose of defeating Sauron. There is no need to raise up Aragorn at Gandalf's expense. :x :x

<Phillipa really should have put her foot down and prevented this travesty. It really is antithetical to Tolkien's universe.>

Alatar, my TORC twin. Glad you are here!

The remarkable re-appearing Glamdring. :D Indeed. That gives me a little stutter every time I watch. Luckily it isn't more than a minor infraction .... mostly because the music is a powerful complement to that scene.

Ah, Horse and the Rider. :love: How could I have neglected to praise one of my all time favourite scenes? It still raises goosebumps. Even now. Even after all of this time.

Primmy wrote:
But I suppose as we're really discussing TTT, I should be posting some infuriating views on Faramir.
<taps foot>

I'm waiting .....

Hobby :hug:

Cerin

:shock:
Squeeee. I have to admit I love the way the other Fellowshippers take care of the Rohan ruffians while Gandalf strides unconcernedly forward.
Would you care to explain yourself, young lady?
eta: Ath! :love:

<hums a few bars>

Seems like old times, eh?

:D

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

truehobbit wrote:
Théoden's exorcism
That came up at the moot, too. Wildwood was speechless to hear that he got hit on the head by Gandalf! :D
Priceless moment at the Leeds Moot last weekend:-

Philippa (that would be me): "But Gandalf DIDN'T hit Théoden on the head! I don't know what you people are talking about!"
Wildwood, patting my hand: "Honey, you're just in denial."

:rofl:

Movie thread! :banana: Movie thread! :banana:

Right then! Selected highlights of TTT! My responses in emoticons!

Foundations of Stone
:bow:

Frodo
Looks totally hot throughout. :love:

Aragorn on a horse
:drool:

Éowyn
I adore Movie Éowyn. Adore her.

Shadowfax
:bawl: and :love:

Ents
They look absolutely :bow: but oh dear, the things Treebeard says. :(

Orcs
I love 'em. :D Better than the BBC Orcs and that is high praise from me. :D

Easterlings
:cool:

Elves at Helm's Deep
You know ... this really did work.

Arwen's Fate
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Just ... :bow:

Faramir's men beating Gollum up
:nono:

'Not if this thing were lying by the roadside would I take it'
:bawl:

Yes, I :( for all the wrong reasons here. PJ, :rage:

Flashback: Boromir, Faramir and Denethor in Osgiliath
:love: Yes, I know it plays merry hell with canon. I still love it.

'For Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!!!!!'
Boromir, :bow: and :love:

Frodo in Osgiliath
Too late, I have turned into Wildwood. Aaaarrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!

Sam's Speech
Sam, please shut up. No, shut up and give Frodo a hug.

The End.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, goody.

Goody, goody, goody.

Goody.

I don't even know where to begin.

I am delighted with this thread. :)

*grins from ear to ear* :D

But you are all too kind to PJ. :x

And I hated m00vie Boromir more than I hate turnips. :x

And I hate turnips an awful lot. :x

More later.
Dig deeper.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Sassafras wrote:Would you care to explain yourself, young lady?
What's to explain? :D

I can't explain why I was able to laugh off all the changes and enjoy that movie for what it was. I'm just glad I was, because it allowed me to understand and share in what so many others were experiencing for all those years.

My husband and I never fail to look at each other and laugh as Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas thump those Rohan traitors to the ground. In fact, I'm laughing happily now just thinking about it.

eta: vison! I've never heard anyone say they hated movie Boromir. Do tell!

eta: turnips are great!
Last edited by Cerin on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Oh look!

All of the usual suspects have turned up!

:D :D :D

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

Yes.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Well, I pretty much concur with Pearl's short-hand review. Masterful, it was!! :love:

Except for this.......
Ents
They look absolutely :bow: but oh dear, the things Treebeard says :( .
In the EE, when Treebeard "sings" that little snippet of the Song of the Entwives and camera pans over those vast forests.......... :love: :bawl:

Although I was a little "meh" about Treebeard when I first saw the film, I've come to really appreciate how the writers handled what surely must have been one of the most difficult of characters to portray.

Sass, I think you must have been channeling some of my thoughts when you started this thread. Last weekend, we were at a big family get-together with my brother and his family, and started debating the adaptations of "Narnia" and "Harry Potter" which then led to the inevitable squall over LOTR (my brother is a Tolkien geek too......he just doesn't know it). Anyway, we both agreed :shock: that that of all three films, TTT EE is our favourite as far as characterization and dialogue goes................except for Sam's speech.........of course. 8)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Oh, geez. Lots to reply to. :shock:

At least it's fun. :D

Must continue washing dishes though. *grumble*
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

vison, you hate movie Boromir? :shock:

Wow—what I remember from the Late Jurassic in M00bies was that Boromir was what many purists would point to and say, "Well, that's an expansion of the book that does work. . . ."

But if I remember right your objections to the films aren't based (or aren't entirely based) on purism.

Surely you can't object to Boromir because he isn't hottt enough?

Faramir—I'll jump in when we get there, Sass. :twisted:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Cerin wrote:That's why I don't understand it when people extol that particular depiction as a superlative realization of book Arwen's fate.
For me, it's not the dialogue, because that is, as you said, inaccurate. It's the imagery.

Hobby, mea culpa. :) (I have to agree with Voronwë, though.)
Prim wrote:Which bothers people who really enjoy Tolkien's pure-white characters, and bothers other people because some who've never read the books admire the "ambiguity" in the characters, etc., meaning that people are liking the films and thinking what they like is Tolkien when it isn't.
Exactly! Adding in some ambiguity is okay (e.g., Boromir), but what's wrong with having a Faramir who is in all ways perfect? Not everyone needs a character arc, PJ! :rage:
Pearl wrote:Flashback: Boromir, Faramir and Denethor in Osgiliath
:love: Yes, I know it plays merry hell with canon. I still love it.
Not only does it play merry hell with canon -- it also has no internal logic within the films. It's still one of my favourite scenes from TTT. :D

Sass wrote:I might agree with you except that I did get a sense of rigidity holding Éowyn upright when the world around her was disintegrating. Concerning your second point, I would argue that it is filmically consistent for the sudden appearance of Dernhelm to be due mostly to the despair of an unrequited love. I always thought that was so in the book, too.
True, I suppose. She's kind of inconsistent, now that I think about it, going from mooning over Aragorn to hiding a sword under her saddle blanket numerous times. It is filmically consistent, but I don't like that they made that her main motivation. Actually, I never saw unrequited love as a motive in either medium until a certain thread on TORC.
How could I have neglected to praise one of my all time favourite scenes? It still raises goosebumps. Even now. Even after all of this time.
Ditto. :) One of the best uses of Tolkien's poetry in the entire film. Really brilliant scene.
vison wrote:And I hated m00vie Boromir more than I hate turnips.
:shock: But . . . why?

I missed these discussions. :llama: :)
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Vision! You didn't like Movie Boromir! :shock:

Sweetie, you need THERAPY. =:)

Ah, that Peter Jackson! When he's good, he's very very good. :) And when he's bad, he's HORRID!!!!! :x: :D

(((Vision)))

Athrabeth, thank you! :) Sorry, I should have made myself clearer about Movie Treebeard. Actually, most of what he says is just fine. Very Treebeard-ish. I was thinking of how the Movie Ents deliberate for hours and then say, "Oh guess what, we're NOT going to war." Which makes Gandalf's prophetic words about the Ents waking up and Merry and Pippin's coming like small stones starting like an avalanche, blah blah blah, look pretty freaking DAFT. :rage: :D
Athrabeth wrote:Arwen, I believe, had the potential to live to the end of the world after Aragorn's death. She chose a mortal death, not a mortal life. We had quite the discussion about this at TORC (surprise, surprise), and so I'll repeat that I think that as one of the Half-Elven, Arwen pretty much had two "death options" (now there's a phrase!)........to give in to death because of despair and grief, or to "give back the gift", and die, like Aragorn, in a state of estel. It's never revealed in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen what her state of mind was when she laid herself down on Cerin Amroth. I've always hoped for the latter, but I think, deep down in my heart, because of the way Tolkien wrote of it, she died of grief. :cry:

Athrabeth, I have always read her death in that way. :( I was devastated by Tolkien's account of Arwen's lonely death in a deserted Lothlórien when I read it for the first time. :( It was sadder than my beloved Frodo sailing away to Elf-heaven. :bawl: No, really it was. :(

As I said to Wildwood, "The Professor just breaks your heart ... over and over."
Last edited by Pearly Di on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:Not only does it play merry hell with canon -- it also has no internal logic within the films.
Regarding the internal logic, I remember thinking so, too, most emphatically. But I can't remember the scene well enough now to remember what was so wrong with it.

Was it that Denethor knew too much about the Ring? Or that he knew about the 'summons' to Rivendell?

I'm wondering, with the various remarks, what side of the Faramir debate Prim comes down on.

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Cerin wrote:Was it that Denethor knew too much about the Ring? Or that he knew about the 'summons' to Rivendell?
Both. :D How on earth would Denethor of Gondor know about Elrond of Rivendell and that Elrond is holding a secret council?? :scratch:

But PJ makes me love the relationship between the two brothers so much, and I feel so much for Faramir in his quiet hurt and dignity (swoon swoon swoon) in the face of his father's cold rejection :bawl:, and I love Boromir's farewell to Faramir so much, that I just don't mind the gaps in logic or the departure from canon. :love:

Mossy! :hug: Actually, I always thought Éowyn suffered from unrequited love, until she met Faramir (and yeah, I'd pick him over Aragorn any day, even though Arrers looks so damn hot on a horse I melt in my seat. :drool: *cough* ) Seriously: I did. Although the movies rather play it up a bit too much. Especially when they don't give her and Faramir enough time together. :(

PS. Um ... the Google advert on my page says 'THE FART BUTTON. Press it. You know you want to'. :suspicious:

PPS. On a much more appropriate note, may I say how much I adore the gorgeous, GORGEOUS signature pics of Athrabeth and Prim. :love: I adore that Nasmith Rivendell, Prim. :)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

A quick word: I loathe Sean Bean. I thought casting Sean Bean as Boromir was awful. I don't understand just why I can't love Sean Bean, but it began even before I saw him in Sharpe. I would have almost liked Sharpe if not for Sean Bean. I never read the books Sharpe is based on, so I don't know how accurate the adaptation is. However, the Peninsular War is a bit of a hobby of mine and the whole atmosphere of the Sharpe TV series (aside from Sean Bean, he just added to the annoyance) was so far removed from my view of the thing that I couldn't bear to watch it. :x

My view of Boromir is based entirely on The Sacred Text, of course. I liked book Boromir as a character, although I would not have liked him as a man in real life. Sean Bean was simply WRONG in the role, having none of the arrogance, boldness, certainty, hardness, whatever you want to call it, that Bookoromir possessed. Sean Bean in some of his earlier roles as a street thug might be all very well, but as a nobleman from a very ancient house he stunk.

Okay? No, I know it's not okay, but then, it is only my opinion. :D

Goodness me. I think I better buy a new flameproof suit.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Cerin wrote:'m wondering, with the various remarks, what side of the Faramir debate Prim comes down on.
On the side of handing myself over to the film and enjoying almost every bit of Filmamir. :D The Gollum beating was too much. But <ducks cautiously behind a chair> Faramir in the book was a cipher, in my opinion. He was perfect and I didn't believe in him.

I know I'm probably reading the book all wrong and missing a thousand subtleties, but for me, with my various blind spots, the best parts of LotR are the ones where the characters are most human—where they suffer and struggle and make mistakes, and then pick themselves up and keep going. :bawl: This is why, for the books, I'm a hobbit person and not an Aragorn person. So giving Faramir some flaws wasn't diminishing him, to my mind; it made him real.

Edit: Thanks, Pearl! And I'm sorry about the tasteless ad. I'm going to go complain, not that it will do anything.

We're planning to move to their deluxe service pretty soon, which I think means no ads.

vison, you are absolved—I have actors I can't stand, too. Though I think I see in Sean Bean's Boromir some of the things you miss—perhaps both our prejudices are in play here. :D
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Primula_Baggins wrote:So giving Faramir some flaws wasn't diminishing him, to my mind; it made him real.
*has an attack of the vapours*

Yes.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Gack, I've given Sass the vapours! :shock:

<waves Film Aragorn's sweaty hankie under her nose>
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Not sure which is funnier, the idea of Sass having the vapours, or the sweaty handkerchief under the nose.