EMPIRE MAGAZINE JUNE 2009 GDT & PJ TALK HOBBIT

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:cheers: Al
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Damn, that interview (what El pasted here, at least) sounded awesome. :)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Elentári wrote:Who said anything about "over-emphasizing" WC/DG/Sauron plotlines? :scratch:
Um, Peter Jackson? ;) Arguably, any significant emphasis on those plot-lines would be over-emphasizing them.
As for Legolas - since Thranduil is busy entertaining the Dwarves in his dungeons, and marching to Erebor, it would make sense for him to send Legolas as his emissary to the White Council meeting in 2941 which, could have been held at Isengard for all we know.
That would make the Elvenking (sorry, but I refuse to call him Thranduil, since that name is never used in the Hobbit, and didn't even exist when it was written), seem all the more ridiculous, imprisoning the Dwarves and setting out to steal their treasure while his "son" is off helping to save the world.
It's not unheard of for rulers to become distracted by one military adventure Iraq while ignoring the bigger danger. If handled well, it could be quite interesting.

And just because the son is an ally of Gandalf doesn't mean the father is. Example: Faramir.

edit to add quote
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

PJ: We expanded out the universe a lot more, so that we weren't just staying with Bilbo and the dwarves on their journey, as the book pretty much does. We started to expand some of what's happening to Gandalf outside of that journey...
We're developing a lot more character and personality in the villain side of the story, too.
Oh dear.

It was expansion that brought us Aragorn being the hesitant heir, lopping off heads and falling off of a cliff and Sam being sent away.

It was development that brought us Denethor flambé, Nazgûl flambé, Scrubbing Bubble ghosts, radiactive Galadriel, and squirrel droppings.

Please let this be PJ speaking out of turn and realistically being less involved in the direction.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yov wrote:
Damn, that interview (what El pasted here, at least) sounded awesome
Wore my fingers out typing that, I'll have you know...'pasted' indeed :rage: ;)

Yov, FYI I posted links to the whole interview 2 posts later! :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It was development that brought us Denethor flambé, Nazgûl flambé, Scrubbing Bubble ghosts, radiactive Galadriel, and squirrel droppings.
I don't think that's an accurate or fair statement for at least 3 out of those 5. (Radioctive Galadriel in particular which is a visualizationg of what's practically exactly in the book.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thank you for your hard work, Elen! :love: Empire is hard to come by over here, alas, and there's nothing comparable in North America as far as I know.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My pleasure, Prim :)
~Diana Cortes
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

yovargas wrote:
I don't think that's an accurate or fair statement for at least 3 out of those 5. (Radioctive Galadriel in particular which is a visualizationg of what's practically exactly in the book.)
You are reading too much into a semi-tongue in cheek post.

I'm just hoping PJ doesn't get all inventive. Or at least he restrains himself a bit.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

from Alatar

My glass is half full.
My cup runneth over. ;)
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hm... when are the dwarves tragic and moving? Other than Thorin at the end.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The main thing that I get from this interview is that there seems to be a major disconnect between Jackson and del Toro. Jackson seems to be all about ramping up the non-Hobbit storylines to connect the films to his LOTR. Whereas, del Toro seems to be all about remaining true to the spirit of The Hobbit. Now maybe this kind of creative tension will result in a positive mix.

Or maybe it will not.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Guillermo speaks, and immediately makes me feel better. From TORN:
[Sadly, I was not arrested]
Pete and I have developed a very dry humorous rapport that I enjoy immensely, we actually make a few jokes that don't translate well in print- since we did the interview via video cam I wa shoping that video would have been posted. Anyway- there are more ways to tie the two storylines than the speculation on the boards may indicate. We believe so and we believe that the story is blooming beautifully. Of course, some will agree and some will not- nevertheless progress is now steady and I see the films shape up every day. WETA afternoons are a delight, Mike Mignola leaves this week and Wayne Barlowe arrives in two weeks along with other "guest artists". Writing and designing in this peaceful Sanctuary remains the most pleasant experience of my creative life. True bliss. I started painting model kits on the weekends again after almost a decade- thanks to Pete's ultra-generous gift of a complete model painting set up much like the one I have in LA, or even better, I might add. We get along quite fabulous and I only wish (as always) that more revelations could be made since we DO have massive exciting news in the near future but I cannot promise deadlines for them anymore. I wish everyone could see the concept art, the key frames and scale models that I have had the privilege and joy of developing with our craftsmen and artists. We hope that the movies will be as beautiful and unique as you may expect. Great adventures ahead-

Hugs in your 10th!

Guillermo
The "there are more ways to tie the two storylines than the speculation on the boards may indicate" is VERY intriguing. But I'm glad he has learned his lesson about promising deadlines for providing news, as it just sets people up for disappointment. We'll get the news when we get it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

He certainly seems to have his finger on the pulse of fan opinion, anyway! :3face:
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The reality is that films are a business and Middle-earth is now a franchise. The studio which is putting up all this money will want a billion dollar payday for each film in return. That necessitates keepign it more or less consistent with the trilogy that eveyone has already seen.

Were the HOBBIT being made first - with no trilogy - then I think I could see the argument to make it lighter and more child appealing. I would have no problem with that at all. But this is business and the dollar will be served.

I do feel that we are in for very happy days ahead. 8)
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I'm sorry, but I read
We are having to deal with Sauron a little bit more specifcally in this; how exactly he manifests himself and what form he's in, and that is ultimately going to lead into what he becomes in the trilogy...and what he has been in the ancient past.
with a very great deal of trepidation. I'm especially frightened by the how-Sauron-became-a-giant-gaseous-flaming-eyeball backstory...

(PJ's title character, the Enemy, Sauron the Great, Gorthaur the Cruel, is either

a) a chthonic Hindenburg, or
b) a highly irritable lighthouse)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:rofl:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Well we saw "Shredder" Sauron at the beginning of FOTR who evolved into the floating eye.

Since he was vanquished and had to start anew, I am guessing that we see some type of cataract ridden lens at the end of a telescope or something.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

solicitr wrote:I'm sorry, but I read
We are having to deal with Sauron a little bit more specifcally in this; how exactly he manifests himself and what form he's in, and that is ultimately going to lead into what he becomes in the trilogy...and what he has been in the ancient past.
with a very great deal of trepidation. I'm especially frightened by the how-Sauron-became-a-giant-gaseous-flaming-eyeball backstory...

(PJ's title character, the Enemy, Sauron the Great, Gorthaur the Cruel, is either

a) a chthonic Hindenburg, or
b) a highly irritable lighthouse)

A big huge battle between him and Gandalf at Mt. Doom will take place and after he is thrown into the molten lava, Melkor will come in save him, put a heavy breathing apparatus on him and dress him in the tower. And when he asks what happened to his wife, Melkor will say he killed her. And then he will scream noooooooo, in his best James Earl Jones voice of course.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Nah...it'll be some red scrubbing bubbles swooshing down dark corridors trying to find somewhere to hang its hammock.

btw, still wading through the 20th anniversary edition of EMPIRE Mag. There's a section where they get 27 stars to recreate seminal moments from two decades of film. Bean & Mortensen represent FotR with a brief interview. Had to laugh at this quote:
Bean: ...We stuck together, Viggo and me.
Mortensen: Then you died and left me holding the bag.
Bean: That's a great scene, though. I enjoyed that scene.
Mortensen: They did change things from the book. Why couldn't they just leave him alive until the end?
Bean: Yeah, why couldn't I just get wounded?
Mortensen: We could have had so much fun when I became king.
~Diana Cortes