EMPIRE MAGAZINE JUNE 2009 GDT & PJ TALK HOBBIT

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

EMPIRE MAGAZINE JUNE 2009 GDT & PJ TALK HOBBIT

Post by Elentári »

OMG - You have got to get this issue!

Here's some highlights from the interview:

Have you decided what the second movie will be?
GDT: We've decided to have The Hobbit span the two movies, including the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur. Specifically, the two movies will comprise the book.
PJ: We expanded out the universe a lot more, so that we weren't just staying with Bilbo and the dwarves on their journey, as the book pretty much does. We started to expand some of what's happening to Gandalf outside of that journey...
GDT: A bit of the backstory...
PJ: We do cover some of the events earlier, like Thrain (dwarf king) Thorin's father, and we're sort of fleshing out TH and expanding it sideways, up and down. We just decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie. The essential brief was to do TH and it allows us to make TH in a little more of the style, if you like, of the trilogy, too.
GDT: To make a movie of TH that didn't go over 3 hours...
PJ: You would be rushing along...
GDT: You would be losing iconic moments. The animated version avoids Beorn, who is a great character, and some people always feel that you should lose the Spiders, or this or that. We wanted to keep every iconic moment that was in the book and give it some weight.
PJ: We've done a lot of things we hope Professor Tolkien would have approved of. We've taken events from the Hobbit and integrated them a little bit more into some of the broader themes that show up in LotR. BUT we haven't made TH any less of a fun, young, fairytale-adventure mix.
GDT: As in the book, the story starts at a more innocent point in Bilbo's life. He goes through darker, stronger stuff in the second part and at the end of the journey he has seen the darker side of the world. I think the whole point of it is his hourney, not only to a place but back again, and how that transforms him. That will stay.
How are you going to handle the dwarves...
GDT: (answers with a long paragraph about the role of the dwarves - valiant, brave, funny, sometimes tragic and moving - will make them 3-D characters physically and dramatically)
PJ: We're going to choose five or six, pretty similar to the ones that Tolkien spends a bit more time on in the book, and develop some quite interesting relationships between them and Bilbo. We don't want them to be just Thorin plus 12 comedic sidekicks.

Article also discusses introduction of Bard, and the fact that Bilbo is largely unconscious in BO5A.
Re: unconcious Bilbo:
GDT: That's one of the idiosynchrasies, that from the get-go, I said, "That's one of the ones that we need to keep!" It's so unexpected. I think we're talking small tonal variations that are very beautiful. For example, unlike in the Trilogy, where monsters were not often articulate, in TH it's part of the book that trolls have very lengthy conversations. there are other idiosynchrasies that would not find themselves at home tonally in the Trilogy. But we are moving the notches a little bit.
PJ: We're developing a lot more character and personality in the villain side of the story, too. We are having to deal with Sauron a little bit more specifcally in this; how exactly he manifests himself and what form he's in, and that is ultimately going to lead into what he becomes in the trilogy...and what he has been in the ancient past.

So much to discuss, folks. And scans to follow :)
Last edited by Elentári on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ooooh... cool! 8)

Making all the right noises for me anyway!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks Elen! That looks great.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elen, you are an angel! :love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elen, today you are Santa Claus. :hug:

I very much approve of what I have read so far.

and... thanks to your scans Elen I have read the entire article and am more excited about this than ever. I like the that fact that they want this to blend with the trilogy but also want it to be different and retian the fairy tale qualities of the book. It certainly sounds like they are starting out to do the right thing here.
Last edited by sauronsfinger on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Aw, shucks, it was nothin' (but thanks anyway!) :spin:
~Diana Cortes
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Good news all around. That's just what I would have wanted them to say. Thanks, Elen.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, we'll see. They say that they are maintaining the "fun, young, fairytale-adventure mix" but it remains to be seen whether that will actually work, mixed in with things like developing Sauron's backstory. While the latter could be quite interesting, it's hard to see how it jives with The Hobbit in which Sauron/the Necromancer exists solely to provide Gandalf a reason to leave Bilbo and the Dwarves.

I am glad to hear that they are retaining the element of Bilbo being unconscious throughout the battle of 5 armies, although I suspect that that will just mean that Bilbo will disappear from the screen for 45 minutes or so. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes, it's like Christmas come early, isn't it?

And it almost seems like they have read our minds or at least our message boards, and addressed the things we are worried about the most. Happily the answers they are supplying are matching our fevered expectations. :woohoo:

This is going to be the longest 2 1/2 years ever...

[cross-posted with V. I don't see how it would be a problem. if they are bringing in Thrain, White Council and other bits of Gandalf's back story, then it will naturally lead into the necessity to discover the Necromancer's identity. It can still have a fairy-tale "magic" about it; after all, most fairytales usually tell you more about the "baddie" than Hobbit does.]
~Diana Cortes
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Besides, sometimes the innocent, light, fairy-tale aspects are heightened when juxtaposed with darkness. Consider the contrast between the early Shire scenes in FotR and the coming of the Nazgûl.

(Don't think about the wizard breakdance. Just don't.)
Voronwë the Faithful

I reserve judgment. It's hard to see how it will maintain the feel of The Hobbit with such an emphasis on Sauron. Does Smaug merely become a servant of the Necromancer? That would change things radically.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug should most definitely NOT be the servant of Sauron. We only want Gandalf aiming to prevent an alliance between them...
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

oooh, thanks Elen!! You are such a sweetheart!!

I do hope Smaug remains, you know, Smaug. I'm quite fond of him.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

There are a number of pitfalls that I see from over-emphasizing the White Council/Dol Guldur/Sauron plotline. The danger is that that battle is so much more important in the grand scheme of things than the battle of the five armies and everything that leads up to it. It risks making the Elvenking's marching to the Lonely Mountain out of greed seem utterly ridiculous when balanced against the actions of the Council (which presumably will include some Elves). This problem becomes exacerbated when considered through the filter of the existing LOTR films. Remember, Legolas appears at the Council of Elrond not largely as a stranger but rather as apparently a close associate of Aragorn's (and his staunch defender). And he is the Elven-king's son! I wonder greatly how they are going to make all of this seem any less ridiculous than ALITTTFOTR itself.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Who said anything about "over-emphasizing" WC/DG/Sauron plotlines? :scratch:

As for Legolas - since Thranduil is busy entertaining the Dwarves in his dungeons, and marching to Erebor, it would make sense for him to send Legolas as his emissary to the White Council meeting in 2941 which, could have been held at Isengard for all we know. Only the 2851 meeting is explicitly stated as having taken place at Rivendell.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:Who said anything about "over-emphasizing" WC/DG/Sauron plotlines? :scratch:
Um, Peter Jackson? ;) Arguably, any significant emphasis on those plot-lines would be over-emphasizing them.
As for Legolas - since Thranduil is busy entertaining the Dwarves in his dungeons, and marching to Erebor, it would make sense for him to send Legolas as his emissary to the White Council meeting in 2941 which, could have been held at Isengard for all we know.
That would make the Elvenking (sorry, but I refuse to call him Thranduil, since that name is never used in the Hobbit, and didn't even exist when it was written), seem all the more ridiculous, imprisoning the Dwarves and setting out to steal their treasure while his "son" is off helping to save the world.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Setting the Hobbit in the wider context of the M-e legendarium is a necessity of having filmed LotR first. I don't think a stand-alone Hobbit is an option anymore for most movie-goers.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

But I think that there is a good chance that efforts to duplicate the Hobbit book's mood inside that wider context will seem farcical.

Only time will tell.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

My glass is half full. ;)