The Hunt for Gollum - Fanmade

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Hunt for Gollum - Fanmade

Post by Alatar »

I have to say I love the look of this. A lot of care has gone in to make it look and sound like the New Line Movies, and the Soundtrack is very Howard Shore inspired. Premieres for free online on May 3rd!

Link: http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/film.htm

Trailers
The First Trailer
The Second Trailer

Original Soundtrack

The Forgotten People of Arnor
Ancient Bloodline

Also, a more ambitious film based on the bloodline of Aragorn:

Born of Hope
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow, the production values look unbelievable. That's some expensive-looking fan-fic!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just thought I'd point out that there is already a thread on this that Brian started, Al, further down the page.

It could do with bumping to reminder everyone of the imminent release ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I just saw that Elen, but it was mostly about the legalities involved. I think its worth a fresh thread, since its seems pretty unlikely that its gonna get stopped at this stage. Besides, bumping that one now would just give us 2 threads at the top to choose from ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah. I could combine the two threads, but I don't think it would be worth the effort that it would take.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Yeah. I could combine the two threads, but I don't think it would be worth the effort that it would take.
faints
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<fans Mahima>

I agree with everyone.

Hope to watch the trailers soon. I don't get much time in my office these days, but the puppy's about ready to be in there with me while I work, so I'll have a computer with audible speakers again.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

So has anyone else watched it yet?

I thought the production values were great. The scenery, lighting, costume/make-up, music etc were all wonderful and completely captured the spirit of PJ's films. There is a quietness, a sense of atmosphere, allowing characters to take their time, which feels very much in keeping with the Tolkien story feel. It's not action packed but more atmosphere oriented. The only thing I wasn't sold on was the script/storyline. Some slips in the detail/timeline means that sadly the Hunt4Gollum won't flow seamlessly into FotR:

SPOILER ALERT *****

Aragorn meets Gandalf in 'Prancing Pony', and is told that Gollum must be found because Bilbo has told him his name and where he lives and he must be caught before Sauron gets hold of that info. Then comes the travelogue style search with majestic shots of M-e - can't fault that at all. Aragorn meets another Ranger in the wild whom he doesn't know but after hearing the password and family background of said ranger, accepts him, and introduces himself as "Strider", (thought only the Bree-folk called Aagorn that?) and goes on to tell him that he's looking for a creature matching Gollum's description. this allows said Ranger to dispense the lines about "rumours of a nameless fear" in Ithilien and Mirkwood.

Shortly afterwards Aragorn tracks Gollum down and captures him, very neatly done, by laying a trail of fish guts, and dropping a sack over him. it transpires from Gollum's mutterings in the sack that he has already been to Mordor and Aragorn is too late. We are meant to believe that Gollum is carried in this sack for days, if not weeks until an ambush by orcs. Aragorn receives a poisoned wound and we have the obligatory scene in his delirium of Arwen declaring her love for him back at Rivendell, and somehow healing him across the miles. When Aragorn awakens from his fever, Gollum has escaped the sack. Aragorn tracks him in the dark to the foot of a tree in which Gollum is hiding.

Before he can coax him down, Aragorn is attacked by a Black Rider!!?? He drives away the Nazgûl and then has a surprise tap on the shoulder from none other than Legolas who tells him "we have your creature!" Cut to scene of Gollum in Thranduil's dungeons, as Gandalf exits from his interrogation and tells Aragorn definitively that from piecing together Gollum's backstory it all makes sense, Frodo has the Ruling Ring and the Shire must be protected.

Apart from that, a great effort from all involved; it is wonderful to have another piece of Middle-earth brought to life, even if only to be argued over ;)

Congratulations to the Team :bow:
Last edited by Elentári on Mon May 04, 2009 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Elentári, you might want to say "slight spoiler alert" at the top of your post. :P

I enjoyed it. Watched it twice.

Too many orcs and squishy noises (during fight scenes) but I had that problem with PJ as well.

The music was a well done pastiche of Howard Shore and Clint Mansell.

It was nice to be in that world again.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

I watched it. I'm sorry to say that I found it extremely distasteful. It seemed like a cheesy take-off on Jackson's films, with only the most superficial connection to anything that Tolkien wrote. And at least one thing that directly contradicted Tolkien in quite an important way.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I thought that Arwen was lovely. I'm not joking - she looks like Arwen ought to look and I never thought Liv Tyler did.

I didn't find the trailers cheesy or distasteful, just sort of over-the-top, but impressive, considering everything. Impressed me with how far a fan could go.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

You and I have such different perceptions about so many things, my dear vison.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:You and I have such different perceptions about so many things, my dear vison.
Well, since I churned out reams and reams of fanfic myself, I tend to give other fans a break. Some of what I wrote was not dreadful, but it was nothing whatsoever like anything JRRT wrote!

The little movie is reverent, really, not necessarily "reverent" to PJ, but to the movie-making fan's LOTR. Without PJ's movie, this auteur would have pretty slim pickings, admittedly!! :D

As for the Arwen thing, I truly never thought Liv Tyler was suitable and the glimpse of the Arwen in this homemade movie had more life in it than Liv had through 3 very long movies.

This one may pall very quickly, but it's fun to walk in ME even if it's just for a few minutes.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

Whereas I felt that Liv very much has the kind of otherworldly beauty that characterizes Arwen, whereas the young woman in this "film" decidedly did not.

I thought some of the things that were straight out of the Jackson films were downright silly. But the thing that bothered me the most:

******SPOILER*******
*******SPOILER******

... was "Gandalf" saying that Gollum's wretchedness was beyond their power to heal. That contradicts what Gandalf actually says in the book, that there is not much hope for his cure, but there is still some. And, of course, that small hope of Gollum's cure becomes of critical importance to the story. The fact that these filmmakers blithely contradict that (for no good reason that I can see) shows a real disregard for Tolkien's work.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Sorta like Frodo sending Sam away? That sort of thing? Like Arwen breaking her vow to Aragorn and actually trying to leave Middle Earth, that sort of thing? :D
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, like that in a way, except that those things at least had some sort of a reason, misguided as they may have been.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Well, like that in a way, except that those things at least had some sort of a reason, misguided as they may have been.
Ah, how true. :D

Well, the little fanmade movie doesn't trouble me very much. We all have our ideas of how things should have been and this guy actually went out and did it. Kudos to him, I think.

I've long thought that we (or at least, you) will live long enough to see such fanmade movies pouring out of every computer in the land. The computer world changes so fast that it seems to me anything is possible.

As has been mentioned above, some fanfic is very good and most is utter dreck. But everyone who writes/wrote fanfic did so because they love Middle Earth.
Dig deeper.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

It's very good, this fan tribute. :)

Watched it tonight.
vison wrote:As for the Arwen thing, I truly never thought Liv Tyler was suitable and the glimpse of the Arwen in this homemade movie had more life in it than Liv had through 3 very long movies.
Goodness, no way. :D

Liv is not my 'ideal' Arwen by any means, even in the looks department (although she spoke Elvish beautifully :) ) but neither is this lass in The Hunt for Gollum ... attractive as she is and as nicely done as that sequence is. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful

Amazing how tastes differ. I didn't think she was attractive at all, and I thought the sequence with her was terrible. A cheap take-off on the Jackson Aragorn/Arwen scenes with no relevance to the film and no real connection to what Tolkien wrote.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I haven't watched it yet, but I am curious as to why the Tolkien Estate or New Line can't/won't act on this.