What are your hopes (and fears) for the Hobbit films

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

But the whole point of that "gag" (if you want to call it that) is that he is this highly dignified (and even more highly arrogant) Dwarf who falls over Bilbo's doorstep with three other Dwarves falling on top of him because Bilbo jerked the door open so in annoyance and anger. I hardly think that parallels movie-Gimli's often undignified bearing (squirrel droppings, belching at King Théoden, etc.). I don't see much of a parallel there at all.

Edit: Cross-posted with N.E. Brigand. N.E.B., I hardly think those examples are similar to PJ's use of Dwarf-humour, either. Thorin is self-important to a fault; he would certainly never lower himself to the level that Gimli does in the films. At least that is how I see it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Yes; Thorin is the archetypal straight man who is only funny because he takes himself so seriously.
Voronwë the Faithful

Exactly, Dave. And so to tie this back to the topic of the thread, my hope is that the humour of the Hobbit films is more in line with Tolkien's sense of humour in the Hobbit book than PJ's sense of humour in the LOTR films.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:N.E.B., I hardly think those examples are similar to PJ's use of Dwarf-humour, either. Thorin is self-important to a fault; he would certainly never lower himself to the level that Gimli does in the films. At least that is how I see it.
Oh, sorry, wasn't following the conversation closely enough, as I completely agree with you that Thorin, though Tolkien means us at times to perceive him as ridiculous, is never the figure of the kind of humor that Jackson made Gimli to be.
Voronwë the Faithful

It's always a pleasure to agree with you. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Exactly, Dave. And so to tie this back to the topic of the thread, my hope is that the humour of the Hobbit films is more in line with Tolkien's sense of humour in the Hobbit book than PJ's sense of humour in the LOTR films.
Oh, aye. I just meant that while dwarves in The Hobbit often provide comic relief, Gimli never does, IIRC, at least not in the same way.

There's no excuse for belching or "squirrel droppings." I can deal with falling off the horse and shouting "Intentional!"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

It's always a pleasure to agree with you, too. :)
Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

My biggest hope is that PJ would stay as hand-off from "Hobbit" as possible, and the biggest fear is the opposite - that PJ and Co would impose on GDT too much and would give us more of the same.

By more of the same I mean things which I don't like about PJ's stuff: too many ugly snarling creatures, unnecessary fights and plot twists, and murky, muddled and sometimes inane morality/message.

We've got their vision of ME already. Some were happy with it, some not, but those who were happy already got what they wanted.

So now let the other guy try, let some other vision play out - and give those folks unhappy with PJ's attempt a chance.

I hope for big, charismatic and haunting characters - which GDT's vision seems to indicate. I hope to be deeply moved by Bilbo and Thorin, and also Gandalf and whatever his counterparts will be at the White Council.

I hope that the movie wouldn't be simple retelling of the book, I hope to see an interpretation which would make me think, rather than grit my teeth.

LATER: About 3hr movies vs. 2hr movies speculation.
I think they will do 2-2.5 hrs movies exactly because it is more profitable, as you can put a standard amount of shows into a daily schedule.

I remember how PJ had to fight for 3hr movies, because movie theaters etc. thought they would lose money with fewer daily shows.
You pay the same for 3hrs vs. 2hrs, after all.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I am one who wants the White Council in these movies. I want as much of the pre-LOTR stuff as they can get in - and I really can't understand how The Hobbit could be made any other way.

The built-in fan base for this movie is enormous. But that fan base would be, IMHO, utterly turned off if it is NOT a "prequel" to LOTR.

I never really liked The Hobbit as a book and have said many times that had I read it before I read LOTR I would never have bothered reading LOTR, expecting more of the same. Thankfully I read LOTR first! My word, the pleasure I would have missed!!! Up to and including being here with you guys.
Dig deeper.