Hobbit Movie Formats Confirmed: 1 Hobbit - 2 Films

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

By Jove Alatar Was Right!

;)

Its what I always hoped for, so I'm delighted, naturally!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, even in the darkest days when it seemed that some kind of "bridge" film was inevitable, you were steadfastly sticking to the idea that they could and should do a two film Hobbit. I'm glad you were right!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

At least on the "could" part. I am reserving judgment on "should." :P
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, we'll be able to judge how we like the two-film Hobbit, but the other part of the "should" equation is the fan-fic bridge film that we won't have to endure (unless they get the bright idea to milk the series by adding yet another film).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The thing is, they could do some very subtle "bridging"

- why shouldn't they include the 2949 visit of Balin & Gandalf at the very end of the film, and have Balin mention in passing about wanting to recolonize Moria?

- wouldn't it be cool if the very last scene was Gollum emerging blinking into the daylight, and hissing "Baggins!", "thief!" etc 8)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Elentári wrote:- wouldn't it be cool if the very last scene was Gollum emerging blinking into the daylight, and hissing "Baggins!", "thief!" etc 8)
Now THAT is brilliant!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I am hoping for a bridge film - always have been. They can do five more films and I would not complain until I saw each one to determine how good or bad it was.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Never mind, sf. Even if PJ/GDT don't manage it, others are already stepping into to breach the gap: we have "Born of Hope" being filmed, and "The Hunt for Gollum" released only next month if all goes according to plan ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Exactly Ellen. And I have read a pretty spectacular treatment on another site where fans put together a script that took my breath away. So the dream does not die.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

sauronsfinger wrote:I am hoping for a bridge film - always have been. They can do five more films and I would not complain until I saw each one to determine how good or bad it was.
I'm with you!!!

Then I could spend the next 20 years whining about how awful they are . . . . =:)
Dig deeper.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sf - it's Elen(tári) - but what's an extra letter between friends? :hug:

I have just had some info from a friend in NZ - I don't think she would mind me reprinting it here. If I read it correctly, she seems to think that the important casting details will be released very soon: :spin:
Anyway, yesterday I finally went to Matamata to visit Hobbiton (whoohoo!). And here is what I found out about the Hobbit movie so far: Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro visited the Alexander family's farm near Matamata (where all the Hobbiton scenes were filmed) last November and although nothing is definite yet, it looks very much like it that they will use that particular location again for the Hobbit movie(s). Final decisions about the casting of lead roles will be out by the end of this month or in May at the latest (but I think, those of you who are frequent readers of TOR.net already know about the last). As most of you also probably know the contract with New Line for the LOTR movies was so strict that they had to dismantle every single piece of movie set, decoration etc. so that when you visit the movie locations now, you can't really see that much (except for the beautiful landscape of course), and for example the people who run the movie set tours are not even allowed to rebuild certain parts of the hobbit holes and they can only use a very limitied selection of photographs from the films as well.
BUT, for the Hobbit film(s) that should be different. This time the hobbit holes are supposed to remain on the Alexander family's farm (!) as well as the tours might even be able to continue during the construction of the set around the end of this year or in 2010. Isn't that something?! Of course the tours will have to stop during actual shooting.
So, if any of you plan a trip to NZ, 2010 might be the year to go then!
(check out this web-site: http://www.hobbitontours.com)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Very cool, oh Elen of the one L. I don't think that information has been on TORN, at least as of yesterday.

So are you planning to go to NZ some time to go on the tour?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Only if I win the Lottery ;)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

And if that happens, you'll come visit your friends in California instead. :hug:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Not "instead," necessarily: how about "en route to NZ"? :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Exactly, Teremia, the two would not be mutually exclusive ;)
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks for the updates! It's exciting! :happydance:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

It is exciting, isn't it? It won't be quite like waiting for FOTR, but it will still be neat.
Dig deeper.
Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

It's so nice to come back to a bunch of "Hobbit" news!

But I am sad that they decided not to do a bridge movie. I know most people are relieved about it, but for me, it takes a suprise out.

I know what to expect from "Hobbit", more or less. I hope for a great movie, but the material itself is much less inspiring than LoTR, for me. So more connection to LotR - more reason to get into fan overdrive. :)

But I'm curious on what they can make out of Dul Guldur/White Council storyline.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mrs.Underhill, it's great to see you again!

I think a lot of people are relieved by the news about two Hobbit movies, but I confess I was looking forward to seeing some bridge material—maybe not as a whole film, but woven into the Hobbit story. And I guess there will be a little.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King