LOTR on Blue Ray - finally!!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

WampusCat wrote:Yeah, and he'd be talking about doing a prequel -- heck, maybe even more than one movie.

;)
A touch, a touch! A most palpable touch!

<dies>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Further to the query I raised back in March (page 2 of this thread) regarding the release dates for the ARAGORN'S QUEST videogame, it now seems that indeed all platforms will not be released until the Fall of this year...

The official LOTR Movie site gives a link to purchase the games from GameStop, who are quoting shipping of pre-orders from Sep 1 2010...and Amazon are quoting release dates as Sep 15 for Nintendo DS, PS2 and PSP, with the PS3 version slated for Oct 26. Strangely, the Wii version does not have a release date.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

this may help

http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/sean-astin ... rumors.php

a portion of it
Sean Astin is getting back into character as Samwise Gamgee, Frodo Baggins' faithful hobbit friend in the Lord of the Rings trilogy—but he's not prepping to shoot The Hobbit, because that is set before his character was even born. Samwise will be appearing in the new Warner Brothers Interactive video game The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest.

"There's a video game coming out soon," Astin said in a group interview on May 15 in Burbank, Calif., where he was promoting his Disney Channel series Special Agent Oso. "Tomorrow I'm doing like my last day on it. That's all about what happens after The Lord of the Rings. It's set sort of in Hobbiton, and Sam has all his children and other children and is telling them these stories. Then as he starts telling the stories, the game kind of kicks in and you can be Aragorn."

-----------------------------------------
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest is in development for Playstation3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation 2 and PlayStation Portable.
what a neat idea!!!!
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Cute!

...but no compensation for not getting my hands - uhm, I mean my boys' hands on that software this month! :bawl:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

sauronsfinger wrote:Sam has all his children and other children and is telling them these stories. Then as he starts telling the stories, the game kind of kicks in and you can be Aragorn.
That is a rather improbable sentence.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Many's the daycare worker who has longed to suddenly become Aragorn and be off on adventures instead of reading to toddlers. :)
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Dave
- actually, Sean Astin said that. I just reproduced it here.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

If anyone needs the Blu-ray films they are sale at Target friday 11/26 and saturday 11/27 for $7.99 each. That is a cool 12 bucks off their normal price.
My local store had 48 of each and I got the last FOTR and TTT on the shelf. No more ROTK however.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hot off the press!!

TORn confirms LotR EE Blu-Ray coming in 2011

Bill Hunt released the info in his column today on film-on-disc website www.digitalbits.com
“What’s more, our sources are NOW telling us that WHV (Warner Home Video) (and their now in-house New Line label) is ALSO planning to release Peter Jackson’s long-awaited The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Editions on Blu-ray sometime this year. No kidding. We suspect that, now that The Hobbit films are finally about to begin filming, the studio is eager to get more product on store shelves to keep the franchise fresh in the minds of fans. The Extended Rings films on BD are the obvious choice for this year. Farther down the line, of course, there will be the obvious Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D versions of The Hobbit films, and sooner or later an “ultimate” box set of all the films with all new extras custom created by Jackson. Anyway, our sources tell us to expect some kind of official news on all this (re: Rings: Extended and Kubrick) from the studio in the next several weeks. “
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

LOTR Blu-Ray EE available for Pre-order on Amazon!
Following on the heels of the wildly successful Blu-ray premier of the Original Theatrical Trilogy comes the long awaited comprehensive Limited Extended Edition Blu-ray Trilogy. Over 26 hours of Bonus Content including the rare Costa Botes documentaries that was never released before on the Extended Edition Trilogy. Nearly 5 hours of additional content. Each set includes the fan beloved Extended Editions of each film on Blu-ray plus a bonus Digital Copy of the film available online.
That's my birthday present sorted! :D
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I just came from Amazon (the email was in my inbox when I got up).

U.S. Amazon link

It's the Extended Edition trilogy DVD with the addition of the Costa-Botes documentaries that were on the 2006 "Original Theatrical and Extended Limited Edition" that I, at least, refused to buy, so I've never seen them. There's a helpful chart of what's on which release at the Amazon page.

I guess that's why, at least for now, the release is being called "Extended Limited Edition," which puzzled me at first.

So nothing that's been released before is being held back from the Blu-Ray. But based on what PJ has said in the past, I can see an "Unlimited edition" in the future.

Still, I think I will buy this. It isn't charged until it ships, in 2011 or 2012, and this locks in the price (except if it's ever lower; then you get the lower one).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Prim, that was the US Amazon link I posted...it's not on Amazon UK yet! :rage:
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Argh. Sorry, Elen! I didn't even notice there was a link—I plead pre-7 AM (my time) and no coffee yet. My eyes weren't quite open all the way and my brain was running at 62%.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

's okay - and I wasn't mad at you, in case anyone thinks it reads that way! Just annoyed at losing out to the US market again!
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, I didn't think you were mad! :) I just don't like it when I miss things, even at 6:42 AM.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, I have to say I really hope the UK Blurays have all the same features. We lost out on some on the Theatrical Releases due to an issue with ratings.

I actually already have the Costa Botes Documentaries, and they really are fantastic, but they are Region 1 and I would like to have them in either Region 2 or Region 0 Bluray.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I just this second got an email from Amazon:

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

Elijah Wood, et al "The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition + Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]"
Estimated arrival date: June 28 2011
Emphasis mine.

:hooray:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Brilliant. You're gonna love the Costa Botes documentaries!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think that's what I'm most looking forward to, frankly, although I'll enjoy it all. I'm glad we can be reasonably confident that it will be a good transfer on the films. I just watched Avatar again, and the incredible sharpness of the Blu-Ray transfer really brought out its visual beauty. (Didn't fix the plot, but I decided long ago that Avatar is mind candy whose flavor I enjoy.)

To see the LotR films in that same quality will be a great pleasure. I haven't watched them in a long time and now I will definitely be waiting for June. (A lot sooner than I was expecting!)

Have release dates for other regions also been announced?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Looks like June 27th

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Tril ... 746&sr=8-2
Price: £54.93 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on June 27, 2011.