LOTR on Blue Ray - finally!!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

LOTR on Blue Ray - finally!!

Post by sauronsfinger »

just saw this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9 ... oneringnet

I bought my first DVD player when FOTR came out. Now its time to upgrade to Blue Ray.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Alas, not for me. It's the theatrical editions, which I have little interest in watching—I don't believe I've seen them since the EEs came out. I still have them on DVD and really don't want to buy them again.

So I can wait a while longer for my own Blu-Ray player.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Ha! Funny!

I was visiting friends a couple of weeks ago who had just bought themselves a GINORMOUS flat-screen TV -- and we watched a Blu-Ray nature documentary about "mountain ranges of the earth" with our mouths open, our chins dropped, and the hair on our toes curling with disbelief and wonder.

AND, of course, we kept saying: "Wouldn't the Lord of the Rings look great on this thing?"

So I know how strange it would be to watch the theatrical versions again ("hey!!! They've cut something here!!"), but I'd love to see a Blu-Ray Middle Earth -- at somebody else's house, of course, since we are entirely antediluvian ourselves.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Same here, Prim. Besides, we need to get a HD-ready tv first ;)

sf - we too bought our DVD player in anticipation of the FotR release all those years ago, - it is a tv/dvd combo and it's still going strong :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/105/1051209p1.html
December 2, 2009 - We've already reported that The Hobbit, the Peter Jackson-produced follow-up to The Lord of the Rings, has been pushed back a few months and won't start filming until the middle of next summer. But what does that mean for the DVD and Blu-ray release dates? According to Blu-ray.com, it means we shouldn't expect to see it on our home-theater systems until at least 2012.
This bears watching.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for sharing that, sf. Very interesting from another perspective. As I had posted last week in the cast speculation thread, the powers that be at TORN had gotten a phone call from someone at Warner's (apparently) stating that we should look for a big announcement on December 8. Speculation has abounded that it is either a major Hobbit cast announcement or "just" an announcement about the LOTR Blu-ray release. With the subsequent knews about the apparent delays of The Hobbit, most speculation has turned to the Dec. 8 announcement being related to Blu-ray. However, is the article that you linked to is correct, that is unlikely to be the case. I am hoping that your news is a sign that the Dec. 8 announcement will be Hobbit-related. On the other hand, maybe there won't actually be a Dec. 8 announcement. We'll see in a few days.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Phooey. If they put off releasing the theatrical edition of LotR on Blu-Ray until 2012, that means the release of the EEs on Blu-Ray will presumably be at least a year or two after that. Ten years after the ROTK EE! :x

I'm hoping they realize before then that they're hurting themselves by having the films available only on DVD.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, to make you feel better, Digital Bits posted this in their "Rumour Mill" yesterday:
One other note: A lot of you have asked about the Blu-ray Disc release status of New Line's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which we've been tentatively (though unofficially) expecting to arrive in March. Sources tell us that an announcement will be made soon, so stay tuned for more information.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

It seems unlikely to me that the "announcement" that they were talking about would be that the Blue-ray releases aren't coming until 2012, but who knows. It was that post that had led me to believe that the Dec. 8 announcement was likley to be a Blue-ray announcement, not a Hobbit announcement. But we'll see.

Personally, I don't care much about the Blu-Ray released both because I have no intention of upgrading to Blue-ray, and I am unlikely to watch the films much more in any format, because the more I watch them, the more the flaws tend to stand out and outweigh the good parts. I think I pretty much have exhausted my appreciation of them.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

By the time the Blu-Ray EEs come out, that may have happened to me, too.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Or maybe we'll all be senile by then and won't remember the flaws.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Not a chance!!! :x
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It'll happen, vison. On your 93rd birthday, when the Super-Extra-Mega-Deluxe Edition in Ultra-Higher-Than-Hi-Def comes out, you will finally realize: CGI trolls are the beez kneez. Trust me.

:love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No, vison. Don't trust him. He's weasely. :suspicious:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm more hippoey than weasely.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Which is even scarier.
Voronwë the Faithful

It will, apparently, be available on April 6, 2010:

LOTR Trilogy TE Blu-ray: Street Date April 6
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thanks for that Voronwë. I will be there at Costco to get my copy. My grandson will be thrilled to see the Wii game. And I see I will get $5 off. Cooool.

Sounds like with all the other merchandise tie-ins that this will be a first class event. My one regret - and I imagine this is shared by others - is that the Extended Editions will be held back for later release. Ah the wonders of capitalism. ;)
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

So...is this the big WB announcement after all???

I think I will probably wait for the EE Version....especially since I need to upgrade to Blu-ray first :D

But my kids will be over the moon about the Wii game.. :banana:

Consumers who purchase The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest will find a coupon inside for $10 off The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy. Similarly, consumers who purchase the Trilogy will find a coupon inside for $5 off The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest.
which is the better value? :scratch: ;)

I guess it depends if you can bear to wait until the game is released, and are willing to take a chance on the Trilogy selling out... :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Wait, wait, WII game? Where?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Frelga wrote:Wait, wait, WII game? Where?

Trailer here :horse: