ROTK name Ultimate Best Picture in Poll

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

ROTK name Ultimate Best Picture in Poll

Post by sauronsfinger »

RETURN OF THE KING was named the Ultimate Best Film of all time in a poll conducted by Yahoo. Over 700,000 people voted in a bracketed tournament style competition. In the finals, ROTK defeated THE GODFATHER.

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/30- ... gs-is-king
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I have mixed feelings about this, I like the Godfather series. But I really like RoTK more so I guess it's a good thing.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Wow! :)

Well, when it comes to mainstream cinema, yes RotK totally deserves to win.

I loves ya, PJ. :love:

But actually I think one of the best films ever made is The Shawshank Redemption ...

But I'm glad RotK beat Forrest Gump. :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Pearly,

I agree about Shawshank.

But I love Forrest too, do believe both The Godfather and RoTK should beat it out.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

A long and interesting article about the making of The Godfather in the recent Vanity Fair magazine.

It made my hair stand on end to read that "the suits" wanted Danny Thomas to play Don Corleone, among other things.

I wouldn't put ROTK at the top of the list, but I would put the trilogy there, regarding it as one movie: LOTR. Like the books.
Dig deeper.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Likewise Vison
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Exactly - the Trilogy as a whole was one amazing cinematical achievement, focus shouldn't just be on RotK.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I also agree. All three movies should be taken together as a whole.

But I'm not complaining that RotK got voted #1! :) I think it's really cool, actually.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Blech.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I figured you wouldn't be able to resist saying something, soli.

:nana:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

solicitr wrote:Blech.
Well, it's a damn sight better than Titanic!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

But why did they have to sink that boat with all those nice people on it?

I would have changed that part.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I cried and cried and cried.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Next poll, Twilight will be on top. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

*whimpers in terror*
Dig deeper.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Pearly Di wrote:
While I thought Titanic was only the third-best of the five Best Picture nominees for 1997, I do prefer it to RotK, slightly.

But I'd guess that most of the respondents in the recent poll hadn't seen most of the films they were voting against. I've only seen 43 of the 81 Best Picture winners. (And I like about half of them as much or more than Jackson's film. In addition, all this assumes that the Oscar means anything. Of my all-time top ten, not one was even nominated for Best Picture.)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Given the number of movies made in the US, never mind the rest of the world, the chances of the "real" best movie being nominated, never mind winning, are pretty slim.

I mean, for the luvva pete, "Braveheart" won Best Picture one year. It was about then that I more or less gave up watching the whole silly performance.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Whereas I actually enjoy the silliness, sometimes anyway, as long as a film I really don't like doesn't beat one I really do. (What was up with Chicago? Bleargh!)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

N.E.B., I'm sure you've posted this somewhere at TORN, but I'd love to see your top ten list. I'd be willing to wager that a good number of them I haven't even heard of, but I'm pretty sure they would be worth checking out.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Pearly Di wrote:
While I thought Titanic was only the third-best of the five Best Picture nominees for 1997, I do prefer it to RotK, slightly.
I suppose the cringe-worthy Jack/Rose romance is slightly preferable to Denethor's tomato-crunching. ;)
Primula Baggins wrote:Whereas I actually enjoy the silliness, sometimes anyway, as long as a film I really don't like doesn't beat one I really do. (What was up with Chicago? Bleargh!)
And how could Chicago beat The Pianist???? :shock: :x

Oooh, Hitchcock's Rebecca won Best Picture in 1940. I love that film. :) It's also a very good example of how to adapt a book well! :D :banana: