John Howe to provide Artwork for Doug Adams Book

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

John Howe to provide Artwork for Doug Adams Book

Post by Alatar »

http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms ... -lotr.html
Tonight, I'm incredibly proud to announce that it is this very discord that has inspired the great John Howe to draw "Melkor's Theme," a new work of art that will be featured in The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films.

John and I have been in communication for the better part of the last several months. His final draft was delivered this Monday, and it's a stunning work -- a vortex of detail that exposes layers of details and nuance with each viewing. Here Howe has depicted, for the first time that I'm aware, the face of Melkor and the fury of his contact with a dawning world.

Now if you're expecting a full reveal of the work here... you don't know me very well. :) But I'm certainly not averse to offering a taste.

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thanks for that news Alatar. I wonder just how much work Howe did for this project? The fragment which is shown is very tiny and appears to be in a rough pencil medium.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Very exciting news, thanks Al! :)

I am intrigued by the teaser, and can't wait to see Howe's interpretation of Melkor in full. It's hard to find an interpretation of Melkor before he became Morgoth, with all the armour & silmarils in the crown, etc.

I hope John goes on to portray some of the other Valar as well; mind you, I have a feeling that Alan Lee's dreamy quality to his work might suit the Music of the Ainur better. Thoughts?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elen - there are things I hope he avoids --- the Clash of the Titans Greek god look would hopefully be not used ... anything that shows cliche status like crowns, scepters, ...... and please no toga party get ups .....
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

So how would you portray them, Sauron? :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Good question Elen. And I do not know. Not being an illustrator - that is beyond my expertise. To be really honest with you, that part of the SIL is my least favorite part.

But I do like Howe and am eager to see his work on this project.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I like Howe's work too - one of my favourite paintings of his is "The Door of Night" with just the glimpse of Eärendil's white ship light by the Silmaril, gliding through the portal, and the lovely contrast between it and the dark, evil creatures adorning the arches.

http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gall ... age_id=320

His Smaug is "magnificent" - I do hope GDT goes with John's vision.
http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gall ... image_id=4

and, of course, "Bilbo's Front Hall" with all the wonderful detail and view out of the door.

It's interesting what he said to Nin about featuring older music because if you look at his painting of "An Unexpected Party" he portrays many of the Dwarves with early instruments.

http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gall ... image_id=6
~Diana Cortes