Viggo talks the Hobbit (and LotR)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Viggo talks the Hobbit (and LotR)

Post by Alatar »

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/viggo-mor ... the-hobbit
Viggo Mortensen talks The Hobbit
"It'll probably be as bewildering as the other three."
BY Chris Hicks Feb 3rd 2009 17:17PMFILED UNDER: Movie news

Lord Of The Rings star Viggo Mortensen has spoken to totalfilm.com about The Hobbit, addressing speculation as to whether he’ll reprise his role as Aragorn.

“I’d rather finish the job myself than have another actor do it,” says Mortensen. “I’m interested in principle, but I’d want to see it done in the right spirit of Tolkien.”

Viggo gave a nod of approval to new director Guillermo del Toro, saying, “He’s strongminded, intelligent and probably just as stubborn [as Jackson].

"I don’t know if it’ll be as big a circus [as the Trilogy] in terms of several people writing changes at the last minute.

“Maybe it’ll be more streamlined and efficient, but to some degree it’ll probably be as bewildering a set-up as the other three.”

Mortensen also claims the original trilogy became more led by effects as the series progressed.

“The Fellowship Of The Ring for me was the one most faithful to Tolkien. The one that had the most to do with any kind of subtlety in terms of performance and storytelling.

“Starting with the second one it became more of a blockbuster special effects thing. That’s not to say as that type of movie they weren’t the best.

"You can’t argue with the films’ success, but had it been me, I would have focused less on the effects and more on the characterisations.

“I’d have allowed the secondary characters to speak more and not be so focused on the heroes. There was more balance in the way that all the races of Middle-earth were presented in the first one. It was more about the relationships… That’s just my personal taste.”
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

:love: He's single.

I'm single.

And this just gives me one more reason to love him.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Mortensen also claims the original trilogy became more led by effects as the series progressed.

“The Fellowship Of The Ring for me was the one most faithful to Tolkien. The one that had the most to do with any kind of subtlety in terms of performance and storytelling.

“Starting with the second one it became more of a blockbuster special effects thing. That’s not to say as that type of movie they weren’t the best.

"You can’t argue with the films’ success, but had it been me, I would have focused less on the effects and more on the characterisations.
Viva Viggo! Someone in Hollywood with a brain!

(I'll even forgive him being a Chomskyite).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Seriously, soli? Wow! :D

I notice the excerpt of the article (there's nothing more at the link) says nothing about whether Viggo has actually been contacted about playing Aragorn again.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Makes me very happy to agree with solicitr! :D

(But wouldn't it be hard having Viggo play Aragorn as more or less a mere lad? I mean, Viggo's weatheredness is part of his quite incredible appeal.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I expect they would be able to pull it off.

And anyway, there must have been something unusual, "wise beyond his years," about the 20-year-old Aragorn if he could attract the interest of an Elf woman who had lived for many centuries. It seems to me that it would be easier to get that quality from an actor who is older than the part than from one who's the right age.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Of course if they were keeping to the book....he'd be too young looking for the LoTR, yet too old for The Hobbit. ;)

I think with the right makeup and computer animated fixes he could be young enough, as long as it didn't look too made up. If that's possible.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Er, 'Estel' was 10 years old at the time of The Hobbit- and hadn't been told who he was.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

But they changed the ages and dates in Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring, didn't they? Frodo's younger -- presumably Bilbo went ring-hunting more recently -- (am I just making this up, or am I vaguely remembering something actually true?) :scratch:
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Ah, Viggo, how we love your ... mind. =:)

Sounds like he should have directed TTT and RotK! :D

:):):):):):):):):):):)
solicitr wrote:Er, 'Estel' was 10 years old at the time of The Hobbit- and hadn't been told who he was.
Now that's a good reason for NOT including Arwen in TH movie!

Because ... ewww. :puke: :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Viggo said:
...had it been me, I would have focused less on the effects and more on the characterisations.

“I’d have allowed the secondary characters to speak more and not be so focused on the heroes. There was more balance in the way that all the races of Middle-earth were presented in the first one. It was more about the relationships… That’s just my personal taste.”
:bow: Great, discerning taste. He definitely should have directed! :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Pearly Di wrote:Ah, Viggo, how we love your ... mind. =:)

Sounds like he should have directed TTT and RotK! :D

:):):):):):):):):):):)
solicitr wrote:Er, 'Estel' was 10 years old at the time of The Hobbit- and hadn't been told who he was.
Now that's a good reason for NOT including Arwen in TH movie!

Because ... ewww. :puke: :D
Yes, mind, that's it.

Arwen is already thousands of years older than Aragorn, which in itself is a bit weird. And gives a whole new meaning to 'Me and my old lady'

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hey it worked in The Phantom Menace!

Sorta...

Ok, it didn't. I love Weird Al's take on it

"Did you know this junkyard slave
Isn't even old enough to shave
And he can use the force, they say
Ahh, do you see him hitting on the queen
Though hes just nine and shes fourteen
Yah, hes probably gonna marry her someday"
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Arwen, the ultimate Cougar? :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I know the timing's off by Tolkien's chronology; but there's that "bridge material" that could follow the end of the Hobbit proper, and Aragorn and Arwen's meeting is an obvious element to include in that—they own the rights to the story.

I'm not saying what should be filmed for a faithful Hobbit adaptation—just speculating about what they're likely to add, given that GdT has said the end of the second Hobbit film will form a smooth transition to the beginning of PJ's FotR.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Good call, Prim. :agree:

There's a lot that happens within a relatively short period of time after THE HOBBIT that could help the flow into FotR. I'm sure we would all like to see Balin & Gandalf's 2949 visit to Bag End - that would set up the Moria re-colonization attempt - Aragorn & Arwen's first meeting in 2951, Sauron's declaration in Mordor, (same year) and the last White Council meeting of 2953, which would help further Saruman's backstory.

That would give us plenty in F2 that still forms cohesion with THE HOBBIT and doesn't seem too much like a load of add-ons!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

solicitr wrote:Arwen, the ultimate Cougar? :D
Just as Tolkien envisioned her, obviously. :shock: :help: :D

By the way ... I'm still not totally thrilled with the Second Movie.

I really don't care that much about all this add-on stuff, you know. ;) In a film, I mean. Obviously I love all the add-on stuff in canon ... I can read the Appendices for hours. :D And peruse maps of Middle-earth for hours. :love:

Seeing Balin would be cool. 8) But, really ... if it ain't got Frodo in it, I'm not that bothered. :scratch:

Or bovvered, to quote Catherine Tate. :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

My respect for Viggo has soared. How perceptive those comments are!

I fervently hope they will NOT show Arwen with 10-year-old future hubby.

And Di, there is always the possibility that they'll work Frodo into it somehow. Perhaps the first movie will start with Bilbo telling Frodo about his adventures.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

WampusCat wrote:My respect for Viggo has soared. How perceptive those comments are!
Aren't they? :)
I fervently hope they will NOT show Arwen with 10-year-old future hubby

:help:
And Di, there is always the possibility that they'll work Frodo into it somehow. Perhaps the first movie will start with Bilbo telling Frodo about his adventures.
I'd love that! :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'm quite sure they won't show 10-year-old Aragorn with Arwen, as they didn't meet until he was 20, anyways. I mean, not without a crazy re-write worse than anything we've seen from PJ & Co so far.....

Arwen shouldn't be in THE HOBBIT....PERIOD. She wasn't there at the time.

It would just be nice to see their first meeting IF they are going to include LATER material in F2.
~Diana Cortes