Music in the Hobbit

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Music in the Hobbit

Post by Nin »

Friday evening I went to a concert given by the sister of M's ex and her students. She teaches ancient music (pre-baroque). One of her students is named Dana Howe - his parents came to the concert and bingo: his father was John Howe.

After recovering from the heart attack about dining after the concert in the company of the musicians and their family, I was for most of the diner too shy to abord Mr. Howe. After all, he had come to listen to his son and to be in family... and just imagine how terrible it must to meet people all the time who tell you: "Aren't you John Howe?"... etc. etc.

However, when saying good bye, I admitted my LOTR passion and he told me (he is a very quiet, very shy person, not very out-going by himself) I should have talked to him before. Well....

But then, he told me that he used the passion of his son for drawings about historical instruments and that he had drawn several for the Hobbit and talked to Howard Shore about the possibility of putting more ancient music played on original instruments in the sound-track.

Sorry, I just wanted to share that bit of information and show-off....

(The road goes ever on is the dedication John Howe wrote me in book I bought a few years ago at the Geneva book fair...)
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's very cool, Nin. (I would have been wary of talking to him, too. Introverts!)

I'm very interested to see what comes out of John's conversation with Howard about "putting more ancient music played on orignal instruments in the soundtrack." That sounds quite intriguing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

What a fantastic personal tale, Nin! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. It just whets the appetite even more for the new soundtrack - which, of course if GDT follows PJ's lead, will be released before the film. :drool:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Nin, that is INCREDIBLY cool! :)

About meeting John Howe :love: and about the possibility of his ancient music designs for TH movie.

Sweet! :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Neat, Nin!! And I totally understand your hesitation, I am very wary of approaching famous people too. For the very same reason.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

That is cool Nin.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers