"The Hobbit" Dilemma

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I think one way or the other the existence of the lawsuit will mean that what can or cannot be used will be strictly delineated.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It is already strictly delineated. Anything in or based on LOTR or The Hobbit is fair game. Anything in or based on any other works of Tolkien is strictly prohibited. I don't see any chance of that changing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

What about the stuff I mentioned Voronwë? Was that just a case of leniency?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry, Al, I missed your previous post (and Padme's, too). I think those things were simply too insignificant to bother about. Honestly, the Ring of Barahir is probably the only solid, concrete example that I have ever seen of something that was clearly taken from a Tolkien source other than LOTR or The Hobbit.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

In fact, the movie Death of Isildur (short and long versions) was clearly NOT based on the UT narrative, where he was shot while standing up in the shallows, but the on the LR version where he was shot swimming (and other details as well).
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

On another forum, Solicitr and I have had this conversation before in great and exhaustive detail.... but I have always had questions as to the ethics of selling somebody the film rights to something and then recreating or causing to be published much the same thing with more detailed information down the road.

It causes innumberable headaches for the original holder of the rights as to how to properly exercise them to the fullest extent they can without violating other rights that they do not hold.

The information in the Appendices of LOTR and the subsequent publication of far more detailed information puts the film rights holders to LOTR in an almost impossible position should they decide to exercise their rights to put that material on screen.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We have indeed had this discussion before, sf.

Try this. If I buy film rights to a saintly person's autobiography, and before I can make the film, the person is convicted of some nauseating sex crime, I have no right to sue the person who sold me the rights. I bought what I bought, and I still own it. That subsequent events or further information makes the rights difficult or impossible to exercise is my problem, not the autobiographer's.

PJ et al. don't even have the excuse of not knowing, going in, that this difficulty might come up. It was right there in front of them, and all the later books had been published long before.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, you have gone on at length on this subject here before, sf. Your position is not legally (or, in my opinion, morally) tenable.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

from Prim
PJ et al. don't even have the excuse of not knowing, going in, that this difficulty might come up. It was right there in front of them, and all the later books had been published long before.
Except that is not factually correct. The film rights were sold in the late 1960's to United Artists by JRRT himself while he was still alive. He died in 1973. It was not until eight years after the film rights were sold that SILMARILLION was cause to be published by his son Christopher. UNFINISHED TALES was published even later in 1980.

United Artists, in 1969, did not know of the existence of any SILMARILLION books of First Age material in 1969 because it did not come into public existence until eight years later.

So then the film rights holders hold rights to material which is now highly problematic if parts of it can ever be used to the fullest extent because the son of the man they made a deal with has rendered them virtually unusable.

I am no attorney. I will not take issue with the legal opinion of those that are. But, I can make a judgment as a person, and the ethics of the whole situation do not sit well with me.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

sauronsfinger wrote:from Prim
Except that is not factually correct.
It's absolutely factually correct. Prim didn't say that UA et al. didn't have the excuse of not knowing about the other material, she said that that PJ et al didn't have that excuse. They obviously knew all about The Silmarillion, UT, etc. (particularly Philippa Boyens).

And even at the time that UA bought the film rights to LOTR and TH, the existence of The Silmarillion (and Tolkien's intention to publish it) was well known.

In any event, as I said before this topic has been covered extensively before and you have made your views explicitly clear, so it is not necessary to do so again.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The rights holders are now Saul Zaentz who has licensed them to others for a limited time. Zaentz owns the film rights. This and never was a matter of what Peter Jackson or any of his employess knew or did not know. It is a matter of what the film rights holder owns and is entitled to exercise as part of their property.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Which is, exactly what the contract spells out and no more.

Anyway, we've been over this.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King