The trilogy - remembered for what? By whom?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I posted on that TORC thread.

I was considerably annoyed by the claim that 'nobody cared about the LotR films' any more.

:pccrash:

I spent a flippin' FORTUNE on those films. :D

And they gave me an awful lot. 8) :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

So I guess we can all agree that the films were good to Tolkien in the long run, despite flaws... but still I think it's undeniable that some part of humanity
remembers the New Line films more for the general spectacle, the kewl battles and the merchandise than anything else.
No one is denying that either, but I suggest let's discuss this bit more else we end up repeating ourselves too much. ;)
I was considerably annoyed by the claim that 'nobody cared about the LotR films' any more.
The films have probably become a staple for blockbuster popcorn movie nights. But judging from the amount of TORC messageboard activity on the Tolkien-related subboards alone, most of those who jumped on the film bandwagon as a result of adolescent energy, at least, have moved on to other interests. And these young people comprise a large chunk of the films' target audience.

Short version: Why isn't TORC more active? Burnout of topics?
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Anduril wrote:The films have probably become a staple for blockbuster popcorn movie nights.
I would question that quite strongly. The LotR movies are hardly your run-of-the-mill 'blockbuster popcorn movie'. They made Tolkien mainstream but they are still demanding: all very long, with a quite complicated story, and they have lots of characters speaking in an old-fashioned way. This is hardly bog-standard popcorn stuff.

And I can't think of a single fantasy film that has come close since. The first Narnia film did well, the lack of success of the second has pretty much put paid to the Narnia franchise -- :( -- and of course there's Harry Potter. :)
But judging from the amount of TORC messageboard activity on the Tolkien-related subboards alone, most of those who jumped on the film bandwagon as a result of adolescent energy, at least, have moved on to other interests. And these young people comprise a large chunk of the films' target audience.
I would say that the Tolkien fandom is, on average, a more mature age than, say, the Harry Potter fandom.

I've had a number of young HP fans tell me that they tried to read LotR but found it 'boring'. Well, try it when you're older then! Sheesh. :P If you can read seven HP books, kiddo ...

Whenever I saw the LotR films in the UK (and I saw each of them about 12 times at least :D) the audience would include all ages: huge swathes of middle-aged types as well as younger people.
Short version: Why isn't TORC more active? Burnout of topics?
Does it matter? :scratch: All the LotR forums, not just TORC, are quieter these days. The films were a critical as well as a commercial success (RotK is the second highest grossing film of all time, after Titanic) but this was all five years ago. Of course people have moved on. :)

As for The Hobbit, I am sure the forums will pick up as the film(s) get closer, but I don't think that TH engenders quite the same level as passion as LotR does.

I am unable to compare LotR fandom with other fandoms. Do Star Wars fans still discuss the films in the same numbers? The only other fandom I am involved in is Harry Potter, and of course that film franchise is ongoing. It's also worth mentioning that it is a much bigger fandom than LotR ever was.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Pearly Di - every time you post about the films you pretty much capture my own thoughts. That is comforting. :)

I would think the Star Wars fandom is a bit more numerous and active partly because the toys and spinoff books are such a major part of the genre. What have they had now ? 25 years of this stuff? I have a good friend who is into the SW toys and he has two of those ten foot by ten foot rental units crammed with stuff.

So it perpetuates itself to some degree.

I agree with you that HOBBIT will recharge the boards and fandom in general. I know many on these boards see a difference in Hobbit and LOTR but I do not think the public will. Its going to be big - very big.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

sauronsfinger wrote:Pearly Di - every time you post about the films you pretty much capture my own thoughts. That is comforting. :)
From an adaptational POV, PJ's films can sometimes drive me crazy :D but I do really like the films for their own sake. 8)
I would think the Star Wars fandom is a bit more numerous and active partly because the toys and spinoff books are such a major part of the genre. What have they had now ? 25 years of this stuff? I have a good friend who is into the SW toys and he has two of those ten foot by ten foot rental units crammed with stuff.
Yes, of course.
I agree with you that HOBBIT will recharge the boards and fandom in general. I know many on these boards see a difference in Hobbit and LOTR but I do not think the public will. Its going to be big - very big.
Again, you're right. Joe and Jane Public will be very psyched for The Hobbit movie. :)

And, I think, so will the Tolkien fans. :D

With Del Toro at the helm, the film has the potential to be absolutely tremendous. :)

But next time round I will not be following any spoilers. 8)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's what you say now, my dear Di. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:That's what you say now, my dear Di. ;)
:whistle: :halo:

:wooper:
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Bah humbug! :( I keep on meeting Harry Potter fans who tell me that they liked the LotR films, a lot, but their sibling/friend/whoever told them that the films were better than the books so they haven't bothered to read LotR.

They also find Frodo 'stupid' in RotK. :( :bawl:

I tell them he wasn't portrayed as stupid in the book. :(

But when all is said and done, I actually couldn't care less that some people don't like Tolkien. It's no skin off my nose.

Not now I know there are thousands and thousands of people all over the world who do love the world he created. :love:

And actually, I don't even mind that some people prefer the films to the books. It's not an offensive opinion to hold.

But it's always good to urge people to try the books.

I am a good ambassador for the Professor and his creation. :horse:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I reserve my lyrical opinions about the books (esp. compared to the movies) for people I care about. If they haven't read LOTR, they are hankered by me till they do!

;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

Thought this ROTK quote was appropriate for film-only fans:

Aragorn: "It is but a shadow and a thought that you love." :twisted:

Though this is overstating it. :salmon:

(Is it from Walsh/Boyens or Tolkien?)
Last edited by Anduril on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Tolkien, of course.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Anduril wrote:Thought this ROTK quote was appropriate for film-only fans:

Aragorn: "It is but a shadow and a thought that you love." :twisted:

Though this is overstating it. :salmon:
Actually, I would agree with that.

And it's both movieverse and bookverse.

In the film, Aragorn says it to Éowyn (insensitive clot. :p)

In the book, he says it to Éomer: he is talking about Éowyn (as she lies in the Houses of Healing).
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Pearly, did you know that without having to look it up?

:bow:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Di wrote:
From an adaptational POV, PJ's films can sometimes drive me crazy but I do really like the films for their own sake.

You expressed my feelings perfectly. They really did exceed expectations, on the whole, and could have been so much worse - Boorman, anyone? ;)
As for The Hobbit, I am sure the forums will pick up as the film(s) get closer
Well, if we don't get some new news from GDT soon some boards are going to be pretty dead! :(

sf wrote:
I certainly hope so, as Di says, The Hobbit has the potential to be absolutely tremendous! :thumbsup:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Mahima wrote:Pearly, did you know that without having to look it up?

:bow:
Yes. :oops: :banana:

I'll look like a right prune if I'm wrong about that, of course. :blackeye:
Elentári wrote:You expressed my feelings perfectly. They really did exceed expectations, on the whole, and could have been so much worse - Boorman, anyone? ;)
Ah, yes, Boorman. :) The crack!version. :spin:

Lordy. :help: