For the Viggo swooners

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

For the Viggo swooners

Post by Alatar »

Viggo mentioned recently in an interview that there's some scenes shot of Aragorn and Arwen's early courtship that was never used in the movies. Sounds interesting. If not in The Hobbit, I hope we get to see all this footage someday in the Super-Mega-Awesome Anniversary Collectors Edition.
Viggo Mortensen wrote:"We shot a sequence, Liv Tyler and I, and it's in Lórien, and we're walking around, and it's when I'm still...you know, I'm wearing clothes that are more like something you'd see Legolas wearing. I have no beard. I have really long hair, and it's partly in a braid. And, I'm wearing definitely elvish kind of clothing. I look like some young elvish lord. And, I think, I'm barefoot, walking in these flowers with her. And, we're in that courtship period, you know, and because of our aging thing, we look similar. I look a little younger than usual, the no beard helps and all that. And, it's a memory, right, and it was meant to be used as one of those moments where I'm remembering something about her. They didn't use it. So, they could use that, and then they could shoot other things in that vein."
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

It would have been a beautiful inclusion in the Lórien section - that is, after all, where they first met, on the hill of Cerin Amroth...
"At the hill's foot Frodo found Aragorn, standing still and silent as a tree; but in his hand was a small golden bloom of elanor, and a light was in his eyes. He was wrapped in some fair memory: and as Frodo looked at him he knew that he beheld things as they once had been in this same place. For the grim years were removed from the face of Aragorn, and he seemed clothed in white, a young lord tall and fair; and he spoke words in the Elvish tongue to one whom Frodo could not see. Arwen vanimelda, namárië! he said, and then he drew a breath, and returning out of his thought he looked at Frodo and smiled."
Perhaps they'll put it in where it belongs in the Super-Mega-Awesome Anniversary Collectors Edition. ;) I hope so!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Holy moly! :drool:

Now why didn't they use THAT instead of that stoopid scene in TTT when the horse kisses him and turns into Arwen?????

HUH?????!!!!!

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Although I quite like the bit in Elvish she says in that scene. ;)

Oh, well.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Impy, that's one of Aragorn's best moments for me. I still remember the first time I read the words that follow:
'Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth,' he said, 'and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we must still tread, you and I. Come with me!' And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man.
:(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's not so sad, Prim. He got the girl in the end.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, but it's one of those "cold-chill" moments for me, made even more so by the image from the appendices of Arwen coming back to Cerin Amroth to die.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's heart-breaking, but something in the turn of that phrase is hopeful. He "came there never again as living man" but perhaps the timeless memory of him comforted Arwen as she went, at last, to meet him beyond the circles of the world.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:cry:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:cry:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Prim, that is also one of my favourite moments and my favourite quotes. It doesn't so much make me sad, though, as fill me with a kind of longing.

It's a golden moment of yearning, a eucatastrophe. :)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:cry: Well it made me tear up.

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Cerin Amroth is where their love in Middle-earth began, and where it ended, when Arwen left the world. Reading those words and knowing the story brings up the whole complex tangle of their history together, joy and sadness mixed. Like any love that lasts a lifetime.

I did not feel those words in that way when I read them at 10 or 12. I feel them now.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

It is a beautiful scene, and one of my favourites.

The part I like best, aside from the poignant, aching loveliness of the feeling the passage evokes, is the perfection of the language. You just would not get the same response with any other words - Tolkien was a master of that kind of thing.
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

But aren't you eager to hear how PJ, Fran and Philipa improved the dialogue?
=:)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:nono:

WampusCats are wicked!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:twisted: It comes naturally.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

WampusCat wrote:But aren't you eager to hear how PJ, Fran and Philipa improved the dialogue?
=:)
:D :D :D :D :D :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal